Motherwell vs St Johnstone - 30/08/14

Ok do why the heck did McCall change back four with less than ten minutes left when they were coping fine! Do not understand that one bit, taking only left back off switching right back over and bring on another right back. Then of course the winning goal comes from our left back position now filled by a right back?? Answers on a post card please! One plus point is Mark O'Brien looks a good player.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As is my norm, I like to look at the oppositions forum to get a different take on the game. Motherwell fans seem to be in some form of massive depression though, do the fans genuinely believe they'll be fighting relegation? Surely its just reactive negativity.

Anyway, delighted to be sitting 4th now. Next up is Dundee at home, then three away games to Inverness, Killie and United. So these points could be huge.

That's about 380 minutes without scoring a goal and one john Sutton header apart we never looked like scoring. I can't remember the last time we lost 4 in a row either it's been an abysmal start to the season

Saints weren't that good either 0-0 would have been a fairer result IMO. Hopefully we can score in our relegation 6 pointer with county in a couple of weeks

I can't make it to another match until October. Absolute nightmare. Buzzing to see the big man in action. I claim the rights to the 'Brian Graham Appreciation Society' before anyone else does (unless we also sign Donovan Deekman before the window closes).

I can't make it to another match until October. Absolute nightmare. Buzzing to see the big man in action. I claim the rights to the 'Brian Graham Appreciation Society' before anyone else does (unless we also sign Donovan Deekman before the window closes).

Deekman failed a trial at Hibs after two days, I imagine he's gone back to Holland by now.

Deekman failed a trial at Hibs after two days, I imagine he's gone back to Holland by now.

I still have faith. I'll always follow his career from now on, wherever he may go. Fare thee well, Double D.

In all seriousness, we desperately need one or two black players in the squad. I'm not wanting to appear racist, but having none whatsoever suggests a crippling lack of street cred or sex appeal (I find black men more attractive). With the more recent efforts we have made to improve the appearance of our squad, I feel we are missing a trick here.

His celebration was brilliant. It was one where he took it on the run directly in front of the Saints fans and just carried on his run right past all of us. Fantastic.

Good result. Not a great performance.

Disappointed with whoever decided to corral the whole Saints support into one section of that stand though. Not a big crowd but enough that we couldn't get four seats together other than in the front rows. So paid £23 to get a shite view, additionally restricted by the goal frame/net etc blocking half the pitch.

Asked the stewards repeatedly if we could sit in the next section so we could move to the back, but never received a satisfactory explanation as to why it wasn't allowed.

Just a complete lack of common sense. Really poor when they're charging that much that you are barred from sitting in a decent seat in a 90% empty stand.

My prediction is a Jim-Gannon's-last-match style hounding at home by St. Johnstone and Brian Graham to score on his debut.

Cannot see where a point or even a goal is coming from.

:lol:

Give this man a Pint.

Ive found a downside to Graham, his celebrations are fairly shite looking

10201508_400_400_0_0_fit_6_b59f676a48e9b

Nah he's recreating that famous scene from Flashdance. True artist is oor Brian!!

Nah he's recreating that famous scene from Flashdance. True artist is oor Brian!!

I've actually just seen a clip of the goal on Sky Sports News, and that photo seems to have been taken "mid-flight" over the hoardings, so I'll let the beautiful b*****d away with it

Not a great performance from us but that's obviously secondary. We had plenty of the ball in the first half and the platform was there to build from but we didn't cause Motherwell enough problems in proper areas. Dare I say we missed Stevie May? Second half wasn't as good and the passing was poor in it's execution at times. Game was crying out for a penalty box player and when we finally put a decent ball into the box we got our rewards. Thought the game was probably heading for 0-0 but wasn't really at any point concerned we were going to lose it. Had read the negative stuff from Motherwell fans during the week and can understand it more now. Certainly not the usual sort of test we get at Fir Park.

Was pleased to see Brian Graham looking for the ball in behind a few times after he came on as we need that option with MacLean preferring to drop in or take the ball with his back to goal.

Ive found a downside to Graham, his celebrations are fairly shite looking

10201508_400_400_0_0_fit_6_b59f676a48e9b

Ran around the back of me and then after the players joined him he did this. Obviously happy with the goal. Obviously the wee Motherwell fan to the right of his head was not so happy. :lol:

194_zps89cd8349.jpg

A drab match, both teams were fairly guff and it looked destined for a 0-0 draw which would have been about right. Then Saints done to us what we've done to so many teams in recent seasons and nicked all three points. A bullet header by Graham but it seemed to come at a time when our defence, which had looked fairly solid all afternoon, looked a little disjointed by the injury to McManus and ZFA having to go off and Reid being forced to left back(our 5th of the season already!).

Main positives for me were O'Brien and Lawson. O'Brien looks like a proper no nonsense centre back and was throwing MacLean about Fir Park and won just about everything going. Also read the game quite well and made a few decent interceptions. Also thought the much maligned Lawson had a good game so fair play to him.

Still too slow and predictable in attack. Hesitant, too many touches and a reluctance to actually have a fucking shot when the chance presents itself. Ojamaa still doesn't look fit and Ainsworth still hasn't rediscovered his form from last season. Also I'm sure Josh Law must be Stuart McCall's son, surely the only explanation as to why McCall always finds a way to shoehorn him into the starting line up. Thought Sutton looked a bit more hungry and up for it this week but again was struggling for support/service.

Better than in recent weeks but sadly still just not good enough.

Clearly think a lot of MacLean and May but when was the last time we had a striker that could do this? Fallon and Iwelumo couldn't get off the ground that far! Neither could Parkin despite scoring a few headers. Same goes with Holmes. A big striker who, on the brief evidence of today, also looks agile and reasonably mobile. Heady days!

goal.jpg

Archived