The Arbroath Thread

Said this to someone else but I think this pushes Kader and Prunty down to 4th choice uptop and wide.

Out wide in order

Linn

Skelly/Ferns depending on form/opposition

Kader

Upfront in order

Stevie

McCallum/Scott depending on form and opposition

Prunty

Squad

Gomes

Stewart?

Gold

Thomson

Little

Hamilton

Sukar

Whatley

McCord

Malin

Hodge

Linn

Ferns

Skelly

Omar

Scott

Stevie D

McCallum

Prunty

If we sign another defender which we really must then I think that'll be fine, we'll be up to 20, 6 defenders plus guys in midfield like Whatley who can do a good job there. Hodge also capable to fill in. Excited to see McCallum I'd put him right in next to Stevie purely because it's Annan, Ferns and Linn on the wings with McCallum running in behind should cause them a lot of bother with their pace.

Skelly and Jimmy a good change if it's not working, Skellys delivery with Jimmy in middle.

Plenty will disagree which I find to be a good thing, plenty of competition.

Bobby and Stevie the only 2 guaranteed must starts in attack.

the thing is dc has said jimmy is his main striker in post match interviews. so going on that comment it will be jimmy if fit and the new loanee. and going by dc record of loanee signings IE mutch who could cost us the league his judgement must come into question

Stevie will play every week like he's done so far, even when Jimmy has been fit and on the bench

Managers say things like that all the time to keep players happy, Stevie will be number one until he either starts playing poorly or gets injured

the thing is dc has said jimmy is his main striker in post match interviews. so going on that comment it will be jimmy if fit and the new loanee. and going by dc record of loanee signings IE mutch who could cost us the league his judgement must come into question

I believe it was quite a while ago that dick said that, and since about mid December Doris has been brilliant which may have changed his outlook on that. Also, his loan signings haven't been that bad. Skelly has been a success, Sukar has been okay. Mutch and Jason Brown were poor admittedly, but going further back Dick's record of signing loanees at Forfar was very impressive.

Was it though? There were far more bad yins than good. He has a scattergun approach to signings as you'll have noticed.

Was just looking at the obvious ones tbh. Scattergun maybe, but there's only about 2/3 players he's signed for us I'd classify as "bad" signings. Majority have played their part at some point.

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

Was just looking at the obvious ones tbh. Scattergun maybe, but there's only about 2/3 players he's signed for us I'd classify as "bad" signings. Majority have played their part at some point.

You mentioned two. He's punted three others six months after signing them. He must have signed about three hundred players in his time with us! 

You mentioned two. He's punted three others six months after signing them. He must have signed about three hundred players in his time with us! 

Dunlop and Callaghan would be 2 of those bad signings. Phillips wasn't a bad signing at all, he just fell out with Dick. Otherwise I'd have him starting. Mutch and Brown, both loanees, were the only others I'd say were bad signings.

I'm pretty sure that Dick said several weeks ago that Jimmy, when fit would be his 2nd choice striker, not main striker.

Our fans always seem to love to have a fall guy. Regardless of facts.  Mutch was 17 and played his competitive game and won MOTM against United, then we lost to ICT and Dunfermline and regardless of a mistake, no keeper would have prevented us from defeats from those teams.

Any other team would be delighted we had a young keeper who got called up to the Scotland U18s then U21s a pretty good achievement.

He played in 7.5 league games in which we lost one game! including a 0-0 draw, and a game when we were reduced down to 10 men.  He also claimed a clean sheet away to the highest scoring team in Scotland, Elgin City. 

Our current defensive line up of Gold, Little, Hamilton and Sukar never played together as a unit when Mutch was in goal and also David Gold's run at right back started the very next game after See elbowed him in the throat.

Cut the lad some slack and get behind the whole team.

because i am an old git to me the january window is a get out of jail card for managers .back in the day the manager done his work in the close regarding player selection. and stood or fell regarding his choice of player. now they get the chance to redeem themselves by going for a loan signing and a lot still get it wrong

I'm pretty sure that Dick said several weeks ago that Jimmy, when fit would be his 2nd choice striker, not main striker.   Our fans always seem to love to have a fall guy. Regardless of facts.  Mutch was 17 and played his competitive game and won MOTM against United, then we lost to ICT and Dunfermline and regardless of a mistake, no keeper would have prevented us from defeats from those teams.   Any other team would be delighted we had a young keeper who got called up to the Scotland U18s then U21s a pretty good achievement.   He played in 7.5 league games in which we lost one game! including a 0-0 draw, and a game when we were reduced down to 10 men.  He also claimed a clean sheet away to the highest scoring team in Scotland, Elgin City.    Our current defensive line up of Gold, Little, Hamilton and Sukar never played together as a unit when Mutch was in goal and also David Gold's run at right back started the very next game after See elbowed him in the throat.   Cut the lad some slack and get behind the whole team.        

"Our fans seem to love a fall guy" you say this as if it isn't true for every single club in the world. If a player isn't playing well and making mistakes, which Mutch was, they will be criticised regardless of age and experience. Happens at every single level of the game.

I'm pretty sure that Dick said several weeks ago that Jimmy, when fit would be his 2nd choice striker, not main striker.   Our fans always seem to love to have a fall guy. Regardless of facts.  Mutch was 17 and played his competitive game and won MOTM against United, then we lost to ICT and Dunfermline and regardless of a mistake, no keeper would have prevented us from defeats from those teams.   Any other team would be delighted we had a young keeper who got called up to the Scotland U18s then U21s a pretty good achievement.   He played in 7.5 league games in which we lost one game! including a 0-0 draw, and a game when we were reduced down to 10 men.  He also claimed a clean sheet away to the highest scoring team in Scotland, Elgin City.    Our current defensive line up of Gold, Little, Hamilton and Sukar never played together as a unit when Mutch was in goal and also David Gold's run at right back started the very next game after See elbowed him in the throat.   Cut the lad some slack and get behind the whole team.        

How very dare paying fans have any sort of opinion on the team they support. What are your thoughts on Paddy Deane?

because i am an old git to me the january window is a get out of jail card for managers .back in the day the manager done his work in the close regarding player selection. and stood or fell regarding his choice of player. now they get the chance to redeem themselves by going for a loan signing and a lot still get it wrong

The window has restricted the opportunity to sign boys during the season not extended it.