The Arbroath Thread

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think clubs like EF and Dumbarton will struggle in the future, attracting new fans must be hard. Used to love going to Gayf as a kid, must be a brutal experience for kids getting dragged to grounds like Dumbartons and East Fife’s.

Brutal :lol:

Aye, I hear a game at Dumbarton is comparable to visiting Mordor these days. 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not sure what’s so funny, it’s a horrible place to watch football.

Having watched football there for 18 years now (some of which were me as a kid), your last two posts are certifiable pish. What's horrible about watching a game here?

Having watched football there for 18 years now (some of which were me as a kid), your last two posts are certifiable pish. What's horrible about watching a game here?

It’s a soulless bog standard stand and a ground that looks like something straight out of mean machine.

It’s a soulless bog standard stand and a ground that looks like something straight out of mean machine.

Birthday caird pish.

I'm afraid as somebody who follows a Club playing out of the same identikit stadium as Dumbarton I have to agree with 1320lichtie!!!
It's never been the same since we moved, soulless, no atmosphere, no fun!!!

I'm afraid as somebody who follows a Club playing out of the same identikit stadium as Dumbarton I have to agree with 1320lichtie!!!

Eta: Boghead was a dump, but it had bags of character, it was a good away day and I miss it!!!

I guess I'm pretty much the first generation to grow up at the Rock, and it's pretty good for weans. Given I was absolutely tiny up until halfway through Secondary school away games on terracing weren't great with people standing in front of you (now I do the view blocking 8)).

For parents it's dead easy too. There's loads of car parking and kids aren't going to run about or trip on an old bit of concrete*.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Gayfield, Glebe Park, Stair Park and the likes (far more than the Championship away days), but I think there are far bigger issues turning fans away (being 20 minutes from Ibrox and Parkhead being the most influential). The shopping centre v High Street comparison is probably a fair one. If I'm looking to kill an hour or so I'll go for a walk into Milngavie. If I'm actually looking to buy something it's far easier to just drive 20 minutes to Braehead. 

Spoiler

*Once heard about a child who fell on a broken bit of the Railway Stand at Stark's Park, slashing his arm and needing some first aid in the process. I can neither confirm or deny whether or not said child was 15 years old and me at this moment in time.

1 minute ago, King Kebab said:

Pish. How does a building have "soul"? It's bricks and cement. Fans create atmosphere, if these stands were full it would be fine - they aren't so it seems flat (the same at any ground around the country).  I can't say I've ever visited Gayfield and thought "the atmosphere is really electric in here". I like Gayfield, I really do, I just don't understand the view that grounds like ours make football apparently unwatchable.

1 minute ago, King Kebab said:

Eta: Boghead was a dump, but it had bags of character, it was a good away day and I miss it!!!

Boghead was a crumbling mess and the atmosphere was fucking pish. When we played at Boghead people would ridicule the state of the place, now we've got a perfectly good stadium that suits our needs and people say we don't have "character" or "soul". Sorry, but it absolutely is birthday caird pish. Would I rather we had some terracing? Aye, of course, but it's absolutely not a "horrible" or "brutal" experience watching a game under the Rock.

Can tell you don’t take the criticism very well Moonster because I’ve seen your bog standard Birthday Caird pish reply hunners of times to various different people.

I dunno if you’re at the wind up or what, how you cannot understand the criticism I’m not sure. You might not agree with it but to just dismiss it as a total nonsense is daft.

I work with someone who was telling me stories about him going to Boghead back in the day, loved it, never realised it was not that long ago you played there.

He said the United team containing Beckham played there?

33 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Maybe mair to dae with the fact that what's on offer on the pitch is not great ?

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can tell you don’t take the criticism very well Moonster because I’ve seen your bog standard Birthday Caird pish reply hunners of times to various different people.

I dunno if you’re at the wind up or what, how you cannot understand the criticism I’m not sure. You might not agree with it but to just dismiss it as a total nonsense is daft.

I'm sick of meaningless criticism being levelled at us tbh. Nobody can tell me what soul means, it's a nondescript, over-emotional word used to add weight to an argument that doesn't stand up IMO. 

I'm not at the wind up at all.  You questioned the ability of our club to get new fans on board due to the fact we have a one stand ground. I can dismiss that as total nonsense quite easily.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I work with someone who was telling me stories about him going to Boghead back in the day, loved it, never realised it was not that long ago you played there.

Beckham wasn't there as far as I'm aware. Mark Hughes, Brian McClair, Steve Bruce, Paul Ince all there though. Schmeichel's first game for them too, he had just signed from Brondby.

Beckham played in the United team that played at Bayview!!!

Maybe mair to dae with the fact that what's on offer on the pitch is not great ?

Hardly, we've won two titles since the move to the Nou Bayview and it was fuller but there was no discernible change in atmosphere, had the same successes occurred at Old Bayview, the roof would have been blown off the shed!!!

Beckham wasn't there as far as I'm aware. Mark Hughes, Brian McClair, Steve Bruce, Paul Ince all there though. Schmeichel's first game for them too, he had just signed from Brondby.

IMG_4074.jpg

Oh dear, have to explain to The Moonster again what soulless means, obviously missed or didn't understand the last time.

SOULLESS  MEANS  LACKING  CHARACTER  OR  INDIVIDUALITY .  Hope that clarifies it for him.

It should not be confused with "lacking soul" which means something completely different.

Oh dear, have to explain to The Moonster again what soulless means, obviously missed or didn't understand the last time.
SOULLESS  MEANS  LACKING  CHARACTER  OR  INDIVIDUALITY .  Hope that clarifies it for him.
It should not be confused with "lacking soul" which means something completely different.

SOUL
IMG_4075.jpg
SOULESS
IMG_4076.jpg