The Arbroath Thread

Hopefully smith does well. I understand him going away on loan being 4th choice for us. I think the 'let him play in our 1st team' argument really comes more from a desire to see young guys come through than a judgement on his true ability.

Never quite got why alloa played him out wide, not exactly full of tricks but hard working, quick and quite strong for his age he should do well if played up front.

Denholm will absolutely love him.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Never quite got why alloa played him out wide, not exactly full of tricks but hard working, quick and quite strong for his age he should do well if played up front.

We played 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 and Ross Stewart was the stand out option for the main striker role. 

It was hard for Smith as the 3 and the 1 basically picked themselves and he was mainly sub or coming in to start to give others a rest. I wasn't that impressed initially. However, he came onto a game as the season progressed and was clearly more confident. He was effective in the big games at the close of the league season and in the play-offs, albeit mainly off the bench. Hard working, quick and strong for his size is a good description, and he scored a really good header for us too. Could have showed a bit more composure when in front of goal on a few occasions but I suspect regular starts and goals would help there. Should be a good signing for Arbroath, hope he does really well.

Edited by Waspie

Well done to the club on bringing in such a highly rated youngster and welcome to Arbroath Callum.

This probably means limited chances for Hester which will see the usual greeting but if he’s a better player then great. 

Martin would be a brilliant signing, heard Hibs are looking to let him go permanently. 

Well done to the club on bringing in such a highly rated youngster and welcome to Arbroath Callum.
This probably means limited chances for Hester which will see the usual greeting but if he’s a better player then great. 
Martin would be a brilliant signing, heard Hibs are looking to let him go permanently. 

Hester will get chances just needs to make sure he takes them. Not sure what the problem is, should we just go with 3 strikers or sign someone who’s not good so Hester gets more of a chance? We were always going to have 4.

Hester has his role and he’s done well so far, just needs to stick in and contribute. Nobodies place is safe, I’d say the only guaranteed starters are the defence and keeper. The way it usually is with DC.

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hester will get chances just needs to make sure he takes them. Not sure what the problem is, should we just go with 3 strikers or sign someone who’s not good so Hester gets more of a chance? We were always going to have 4.

Hester has his role and he’s done well so far, just needs to stick in and contribute. Nobodies place is safe, I’d say the only guaranteed starters are the defence and keeper. The way it usually is with DC.

Not sure I said there is a problem, 4 capable strikers (5 when Doris comes back) is a good thing. All I am saying is Hester will get less chances to play now in my opinion. I’m imagining McKenna and Wallace will play on Saturday and if we’re looking to make a change Smith is likely to get the nod. 

Not sure I said there is a problem, 4 capable strikers (5 when Doris comes back) is a good thing. All I am saying is Hester will get less chances to play now in my opinion. I’m imagining McKenna and Wallace will play on Saturday and if we’re looking to make a change Smith is likely to get the nod. 
McKenna is away to a wedding.

As said McKenna is at a wedding. In the evening tele yesterday DC said he was close to bringing in a signing (Smith), who if we got would start on the bench.

I was not meaning you just meaning that if there is anyone disappointed with this signing because Hester night not play as much then what would they have preferred. Nobody is guaranteed a game, if we sign Martin then look at the competition there will be in central midfield for example. Same all over the pitch (except at the back which DC likes to keep settled) not just upfront.

I was not meaning you just meaning that if there is anyone disappointed with this signing because Hester night not play as much then what would they have preferred. Nobody is guaranteed a game, if we sign Martin then look at the competition there will be in central midfield for example. Same all over the pitch (except at the back which DC likes to keep settled) not just upfront.

Martin would be the first name on the teamsheet if he signed, but I think he might be better than League 1