The Arbroath Thread

No way could Chris Hamilton play centre half, especially not last night against Hamilton’s height - they scored both their goals with headers from crosses - but he’s a good full back. Also remember that Ricky Little’s short for that position too so we would have been very compromised.

Could have possibly played Hammy or JT as centre half to enable Henderson to play in central midfield with Low, Linn on the left and McKenna right.

Doesn’t matter now though as it’s history.

Edited by Tattie36

I would have simply taken Chris Hamilton off and put Mikey and Nicky in middle of park with Bobby out left. Would even prefer Mikey just filling in out there when we don’t have the ball and then coming more inside when we do

Near enough everything we do going forward comes from JT and Stewart. It’s why LD even managed a wee spell playing out there and coming inside. Nicky is the boy that’ll take the ball off the centre halves and get us playing 

I think some folk on here are going a bitty overboard with their criticism of some Red Lichtie players and the performance last night in general.

Yes it was not our best performance and the majority of the players had an off day but we still gained a hard fought point so well done the AFC players.

The weather was horrendous and some of the shouts (well slagging) from some home fans sheltered undercover to the players as a pass was mistimed or not controlled properly was laughable, also we were against a cheating, time-wasting hard to break down opposition and a dreadful referee and a very good goalkeeper.

Yes we were not at our best last night but give the players and team a bit of praise for getting a hard fought point in the end.

I also agree with timlichtie that midweek games without doubt "in the main" benefits full time clubs as they have the whole day to relax and travel whereas our players have done a half-day shift at their work then rush up to Gayfield.

I thought Jack Hamilton was outstanding last night and my M.O.M..

C'Mon The Red Lichties, 36-0.

10 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Please never play Chris Hamilton at centre half. He’s 5’8” on a good day. He competes like mad for headers in midfield and seldom wins one.

10 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

No way could Chris Hamilton play centre half, especially not last night against Hamilton’s height - they scored both their goals with headers from crosses - but he’s a good full back. Also remember that Ricky Little’s short for that position too so we would have been very compromised.

Could have possibly played Hammy or JT as centre half to enable Henderson to play in central midfield with Low, Linn on the left and McKenna right.

Doesn’t matter now though as it’s history.

Missed my point.

It's very rare to score headers in open play when playing into a wind like that. The trouble we had from Accies in the 2nd half was from balls being sent in behind our defensive line and they were on the end of them quicker. I think Hamilton would have offered better cover for those types of balls.

Henderson was excellent when he came on against Killie in the middle and even better on Wednesday when he replaced Tam, very solid. Cant remember them getting in behind much at all, if you watch the highlights they probably only had one half chance the whole second half. Agree that Hamilton probably should've made way for Bobby and Not Low, however it looks more like building Nicky's fitness up again, people forgetting he was out for a long period, he then came back and missed a couple of games again.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Henderson was excellent when he came on against Killie in the middle and even better on Wednesday when he replaced Tam, very solid. Cant remember them getting in behind much at all, if you watch the highlights they probably only had one half chance the whole second half. Agree that Hamilton probably should've made way for Bobby and Not Low, however it looks more like building Nicky's fitness up again, people forgetting he was out for a long period, he then came back and missed a couple of games again.

Yeah been out for ages and you can see it a wee bit but I do get why he’s getting subbed. Henderson is rapid too by the way. 

We did look leggy and a bit slow on Wednesday. Probably the first time I’ve seen us looking like that which is understandable after our schedule and the effort put into Friday night.

Good to have the extra day off and then I imagine next week will just be training Wednesday and the game on Saturday. 

Michael Bakare

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce the signing of experienced striker Michael Bakare until the end of the season.

35-year-old Michael who can play as a striker or winger will be known to Scottish Football fans for his stunning goal in the Irn-Bru Cup Final against Ross County when he was playing for Connah’s Quay Nomads.

Whilst playing for the Nomads Michael won the Cymru Premier title, Nathaniel MG Cup and the Welsh Cup over 3 seasons scoring 47 goals and with 25 assists in 91 appearances. Bakare was named as the JD Welsh Premier League Player of the Season at the end of the 2018/19 season as voted for by opposing managers in the league.

Michael has a wealth of experience having played for Wrexham, Dover, Macclesfield Town, Southport, Tonbridge Angels, Welling, Hereford before a spell in Iceland with Fjölnir before returning to England.

We look forward to giving Michael a warm welcome and seeing him in action for the Lichties!

C’mon the Lichties

Michael-Bakare-copy-scaled.jpg

Bakare was okay at Conference North last season playing for Hereford. 

I guess he’ll be a bit part player for you. Definitely not a starter I would have thought. 

Knocking on a bit now but there’s a player in there somewhere. Don’t know if he’s up to top end of the Championship. Soon see I guess!

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Girth said:

Bakare was okay at Conference North last season playing for Hereford. 

I guess he’ll be a bit part player for you. Definitely not a starter I would have thought. 

Knocking on a bit now but there’s a player in there somewhere. Don’t know if he’s up to top end of the Championship. Soon see I guess!

Thank you. 

Can’t see him being anywhere near the starting 11 but our squad is small and with the new 5 subs rule he will definitely feature. Our biggest weakness this season has been quality delivery so if he can cross a ball then he’ll do ok.

Edited by Tattie36

Michael Bakare
Arbroath FC are delighted to announce the signing of experienced striker Michael Bakare until the end of the season.
35-year-old Michael who can play as a striker or winger will be known to Scottish Football fans for his stunning goal in the Irn-Bru Cup Final against Ross County when he was playing for Connah’s Quay Nomads.
Whilst playing for the Nomads Michael won the Cymru Premier title, Nathaniel MG Cup and the Welsh Cup over 3 seasons scoring 47 goals and with 25 assists in 91 appearances. Bakare was named as the JD Welsh Premier League Player of the Season at the end of the 2018/19 season as voted for by opposing managers in the league.
Michael has a wealth of experience having played for Wrexham, Dover, Macclesfield Town, Southport, Tonbridge Angels, Welling, Hereford before a spell in Iceland with Fjölnir before returning to England.
We look forward to giving Michael a warm welcome and seeing him in action for the Lichties!
C’mon the Lichties
Michael-Bakare-copy-scaled.thumb.jpg.5fac6c94c711514b6e424476d86cd282.jpg

Wow! Did Dick have a holiday in Iceland?