The Arbroath Thread

Don't have an issue with Stewart at LB until Hammy is back, far from ideal but feel he is more than comfortable, due to his speed and presence he is very unlikely to get beat 1 on 1 defending, maybe just lacking that quality on the ball or to switch the play on his wrong side. Think it all depends when Hammy returns as to whether we sign a left back.

9 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Don't have an issue with Stewart at LB until Hammy is back, far from ideal but feel he is more than comfortable, due to his speed and presence he is very unlikely to get beat 1 on 1 defending, maybe just lacking that quality on the ball or to switch the play on his wrong side. Think it all depends when Hammy returns as to whether we sign a left back.

Me neither, actually really like him at full back, not ideal that he’s not naturally left footed but it’s hard to get by him one on one and he’s experienced and reliable

ETA - think Hylton would be a good signing, plays more off a striker and the wing but this is just a couple of years ago in the Prem 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

We need to sign a left sided defender absolutely even on a 6 month loan. Stewart is fine to fill in for a game or two but hammys out till September minimum then needs to get back up to speed so add another month on to that say. Squads already thin especially in wide areas when subs were made that night we had no width whatsoever ever

Hancock the new Hester or something? 

am I missing something? 

he wasn’t very good for us and has been injured since November with an ACL injury who says he’s even fit? 

Btw Hester is a decent player just like the new fascination with bringing an ex player back 

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I didn’t understand the Hancock love either. Was average at best IMO

I watched him at left back for Stirling a couple seasons back, and he was their best player.  When he came to us though, we first of all put him on the wing, which he clearly had no idea how to play.  An unfamiliar position in a new team at a higher level, he never stood a chance.  I think the management did him a massive disservice.  After that, I thought he looked decent across the defence.  I imagine he would have got more games for us if he hadn't got injured.  I don't think he had a particularly poor game, except when he was forced into left wing.

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I watched him at left back for Stirling a couple seasons back, and he was their best player.  When he came to us though, we first of all put him on the wing, which he clearly had no idea how to play.  An unfamiliar position in a new team at a higher level, he never stood a chance.  I think the management did him a massive disservice.  After that, I thought he looked decent across the defence.  I imagine he would have got more games for us if he hadn't got injured.  I don't think he had a particularly poor game, except when he was forced into left wing.

This I think is a very fair assessment,  of Hancock

He was a young English kid trying to make his way at Aberdeen, I’m not sure why on earth he would want to come to us part time unless he plans to stay in Scotland. Also he wasn’t really that good. 

If Hamilton is back in September as some are reporting, what happens to the cover left back then? I would imagine Gold or Stewart fill in there til he’s back which I’m happy with. Especially if it means us having enough budget to get a forward in.

37 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

He was a young English kid trying to make his way at Aberdeen, I’m not sure why on earth he would want to come to us part time unless he plans to stay in Scotland. Also he wasn’t really that good. 

If Hamilton is back in September as some are reporting, what happens to the cover left back then? I would imagine Gold or Stewart fill in there til he’s back which I’m happy with. Especially if it means us having enough budget to get a forward in.

Again think you’re spot on. Stewart probably as good and as reliable as any stop gap. However going by reports looks like we’re looking for one. Kieran Ngwenya for 6 month loan or something would be perfect

46 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

And if Hamilton isn't back as soon as people say?  Big injuries can take a while to get match fitness, especially since he's missed pre-season?  There is no harm in having some actual defensive cover.  Somebody for when our CBs or full backs are suspended/injured/unfit.  We've been short on defensive cover for the last year.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

And if Hamilton isn't back as soon as people say?  Big injuries can take a while to get match fitness, especially since he's missed pre-season?  There is no harm in having some actual defensive cover.  Somebody for when our CBs or full backs are suspended/injured/unfit.  We've been short on defensive cover for the last year.

And we are actively trying to get it - maybe we will end up pleasantly surprised 

Think we should just see what comes by start of season, last night was much more positive,

All the moans after the first few matches were understandable with the trialists that were on show and what we had last season, 

Still not sold on the 2 trialists signing but gotta give them a chance, 

Hopefully we can see Slater soon, and I think it's pretty obvious we need defensive cover and I'm sure that will be addressed, 

Add in another Winger, Striker and Defensive Midfielder that's not Jacobs and we will be far more equipped than last year 

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Have we not just signed a young English kid, who has decided to move here?

and let’s be fair to Hancock, he is mostly being judged on a few games out of position and a game at Cove, where the whole team performed appallingly