The Arbroath Thread

I'm not sure what everyone expected?  What happened to "lets field an experimental team because its only Cowdenbeath"?  This is what you all asked for!  Are you not happy with what you asked for?

It ended up with just one point dropped tonight, so 2 points instead of 3, not the worst result in the world.  I thought you could see we were a side in transition, but one with promise.  Balde had a shot off the bar, Turan was stopped by a great save when 1 on 1, and we looked the stronger team.  That's why Cowdenbeath ended up 2 men down.  We were also looking a lot more positive than we ended last season, the players didn't look scared to have a shot, and playing together in a competitive game like that will do everyone the world of good.

McKenna and Allan just can't play in a 2, and I get that we played 4 centre midfielders to stop us being overrun, but it didn't really work.  Up front, Bird did very little, McIntosh didn't offer much either.  I know everyone wants him on the scrapheap, but I thought Turan looked the best striker out there tonight, and I could see why Dick kept him on.

Overall, not the best result, but a lot of positives to take, and only one point dropped.

Juts don’t get the point in not starting Stowe , I can’t watch another season of our creative players sitting on the bench.

Good to see Slater eventually and agree that Kenan was the best of the strikers. Certainly not the fall guy for me

I do not understand Dick's mind at times. Tonight should have been a comfortable 3/4-0 victory and a chance for us to just enjoy a game, something we haven't had much of over the last year. Instead he starts with a centre of the park that was always going to get overrun, and two wingers who can't beat a man. A left back in needed ASAP as Scott Stewart will never be one, for me it would have made much more sense having Stewart right midfield and Gold at left back. Disappointed after looking forward to this game, giving St. Mirren a miss but it would not surprise me if we go away and nick a 1-0 win. 

If we are going that defensive against cowden at home what we going to be like on Saturday away to st Mirren that was a really rough watch. 

wrong team selection with no width. Stowe should of started to at least have one winger running at the defence.

allan and McKenna are not a central midfield pairing. Allan either needs to be the 10 or play in a midfield 3. 

stewart is so uncomfortable at LB he’s so right footed it’s unreal. Gold be much more suited there. 

positve? Slater got minutes and Stowe looked lively. Thought mcintosh done well too.

f**k me we are rubbish at penalties 

Scott stewart is not a left back(we need one), McKenna and allan are not a midfield pairing and turan doesn’t look very good.

Hope that was just an experiment tonight but it didn’t work. Stowe and balde looked very bright when they came on and should really be starters.

Also safe to say both teams need to practice penalties. Cowden’s no9 pen was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

9 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Scott stewart is not a left back(we need one), McKenna and allan are not a midfield pairing and turan doesn’t look very good.

Hope that was just an experiment tonight but it didn’t work. Stowe and balde looked very bright when they came on and should really be starters.

Also safe to say both teams need to practice penalties. Cowden’s no9 pen was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

Absolutely right about a left back, and Allan and McKenna doesn’t work as a central pairing 

Edited by ecto

Sticking to positives -

Steele was excellent 

Stowe, Slater and Balde all looked good when they came on

Thuran had a good second half (and a terrible penalty)

Dow had a good first half

Bird battled away and won a few free kicks

7 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Looking back Scotty Stewart missed 2 sitters as well! 

Couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. No goals last season. No composure in front of goal - he needs to improve that. 

Edited by TheRoundO

How can anyone say Turan played well there, is that the level the bar is at now?

He does absolutely nothing and has done nothing in all the games he’s played, he can take a half decent touch sometimes and pass it back to where it came from that seems to be about the extent of it

The centre if the park was a mess, lost count how many times Cowdenbeath were breaking through the middle, team looked so unbalanced and we were back to long hopeful balls, I thought Turan struggled but it wasn't until we had Stowe on we had any sort of width and balls into the box,

Tonight's just shown me more we are still in need of another few or it's gonna be a tough year,

Also agree Gold should be be Left Back ahead of Stewart but we should really be in a position where we have someone suited in place, 

Steele by miles the man if the match, 

42 minutes ago, ecto said:

Absolutely right about a left back, and Allan and McKenna doesn’t work as a central pairing 

What will is my question? How can we have so many central midfield players but not one of them is purely defensive minded (Jacobs aside and he’s worse than hopeless)

Feel like Balde is the best we’ve got for that by a fair bit and that’s just because he has a bit about him, throws himself into tackles and gets about the park really well 

McKenna will play behind the striker (fkn hope he does anyway) 

So what 2 play? 

Wrong team and formation tonight, not sure if we went out with the attitude of "this will be a walk in the park" or not but Cowdung absolute battered us for the first 10-15 minutes and could easily have been 2-0 up, we got back into the game and missed a couple of sitters.

Been a while since i seen TOB/Ricky getting put on the backfoot and making as many mistakes as they did tonight and agree Stewart is NOT a left back.

I would have preferred to have started  Bird and McIntosh up front together and i thought Dow and Steele played well and Stowe and Balde played well when they came on.

I hope we start getting better at penalties what happened to the good old days of putting your laces through the ball and making sure you hit the target.

Early days but this was surely a game we should be looking at getting a 3-0/4-0 victory in.  

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Turan was better tonight than Bird and McIntosh.  I think people have just decided they don't like him.  Its the first time I've seen all 3 of them play, and Turan was easily the best of the 3 tonight.

Well that’s complete nonsense