The Arbroath Thread

Who’d have thought our defensive frailties would be our weakness. 

wide open, passive and just totally rubbish. 

United have been good but f**k me we’ve been absolutely woeful.

sign defensive cover I.e a left back, central defender and a defensive minded midfielder asap Arbroath fc 

Yes the defence was poor but what defence can withstand the pressure of wave after wave of unchallenged attack.

The midfield was horrific. United were at times, literally walking the ball through our midfield - picking passes, passing and moving at will, totally unchallenged.

Also, did Scott Stewart know what position he was playing? He was all over the pitch, galloping up the wing, lunging onto tackles etc, he needs to stay put and stop leaving so much space behind.

I’ll ask the question again - why has Dick not addressed the left back issue in 5 whole fucking months? Inexcusable.

Desperately need a LB and a defensive central midfielder. Another CB would he great too.

Must add that for how poor we were, United we’re excellent. Hopefully miles ahead of everyone else, if not then it’s going to be a long hard season.

Edited by Tattie36

Yes it's a poor poor start but factor in loads of new players and it's one match. Down here in England last season Bournemouth lost the first four games scoring 0 and conceding 18...written off yet they survived fairly easily in the end. Loads to do but let's judge after 6 games in....

I will be more concerned if we lose 4-0 to Queens next weekend, if that happens Dicks out before the tattie holidays

the areas that everyone knew we were weak in were exposed first half, centre midfield and left back

Loads of bang on comments on formation ....in many ways past year my biggest concern has been the total lack of any home form...tonight summarised all that. It's like we just don't play when at gayfield and that just has to be sorted out.

All the other Championship managers will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing us.

Attack the left back and central defenders, play with pace going forward and slide balls behind or over the defence. Their midfield will have plenty of opportunity to do this as they’ll be under little or no pressure.

While that was obviously extremely poor, I was more impressed by Utd than I was disappointed with us, I thought they were excellent. Based on that, they should walk this division.

Formation wise - I've banged on about this years and it's been proven time and again, we cannot play a 4-4-2 in this division. We get overrun in midfield and it actually makes us less of an attacking threat with our wide midfielders having more defensive duties than in a 4-5-1. We've seen this time and again over the past few seasons. It's not about getting our best 11 individuals on the pitch from the start, it's about getting our best team on the park. There's a big difference, and for us to play our best team we're going to have individual players who are good enough but don't quite fit into the starting 11 through no fault of their own. We absolutely must play three in the centre of the park, and if that has to be a defensive mid and two sitters in some games as opposed to a 4-4-1-1 then so be it. We have plenty of midfielders who are good enough to play in this division, but none of them fit into a two man midfield.

I think if Utd played like that first 45 against anyone in this league they'd be a couple up at the break. However, it was far too easy and if we had played a more structured and less open formation we wouldn't have been walked through with as much ease as we were.

Losing like that against a team like Utd playing in that way doesn't worry me hugely - if we put in that sort of performances against a team we'd expect to be bottom half this year I would however be extremely concerned.

Even the most optimistic of us can't really defend that, 

The warnings were there against Cowdenbeath and Forfar, Left back and Centre midfield, 

We have built our foundation and being solid playing a 4-5-1 formation but for some ridiculous reason we started with 2 up top, We were so open, How McKenna didn't start is absolutely baffling, Gold should be playing everyday in the week over Slater and Balde, 

Again no one really expected us to win tonight but the manner of the performance was so bad,