The Arbroath Thread

A lot of you guys on here should be managers _ you all seem to know the answers. (4.5.1 -4.3.2). Yes we were totally outplayed last night by a better team. Pack the defence and let them get in each others road. I thought the answer to winning games was to score more goals than the opposition.

3 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

A lot of you guys on here should be managers _ you all seem to know the answers. (4.5.1 -4.3.2). Yes we were totally outplayed last night by a better team. Pack the defence and let them get in each others road. I thought the answer to winning games was to score more goals than the opposition.

I don’t think you have to be an expert or potential manager to know which formation works best for us… and has done under the entire time Dick has been here. 451 is not packing the defence and isn’t really any more cautious than 442. Just gives a bit more robustness in midfield but with players like McKenna or McIntosh in there it gives support to the forward when we’re in attack.

To me it’s obvious that we need another body in midfield as that’s where we’re being overrun and dominated. You don’t have to be a manger to see that.

When we’ve not got the ball the middle of the park would be as well going missing. McKenna and Gold are the only 2 I would rely on to do the dirty work and track runs etc.

That leaves 1 space if we’re playing a midfield 3 and there’s about 5 guys to choose from for it. Unless we sign a proper defensive midfielder who can do the dirty stuff Gold has to be given that role - that would be my own personal opinion - yes I talk a lot of shite and am not Pep Guardiola but it seems clear in my eyes 

2 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

If we're being overrun, suggests we don't have the right players. Still doesn't answer the question of scoring more goals.

I don’t see why having McKenna drop into midfield and push on to support Bird would make us any less likely of scoring a goal, two uptop does not immediately make it a more attacking team.

I even think getting Scott Stewart up the park will make us more robust. Players won’t get past him too easily. 

Stewart on the right. Hylton / Dow / Stowe on the other side. McKenna getting up in behind Bird with ball and dropping without. 

I think we have a good squad and there’s plenty of positives there but there are still a couple of big issues to resolve and everyone seems to have known this for a while now 

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think we have a good squad

We potentially have a very good squad with lots of options and good players.

What is missing is a defensive midfield player who can sit back in our half and provide support for the defence - an aggresive midfielder who can block tackles and keep the pressure off the defence.

We also need a left back with flexibility who can play in other positions.

If we can source such players via a loan or signing we will have a strong squad who will compete and win games.

In fairness, the management team will know this and will be working to resolve this - I am confident such players will be incoming soon.

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

We potentially have a very good squad with lots of options and good players.

What is missing is a defensive midfield player who can sit back in our half and provide support for the defence - an aggresive midfielder who can block tackles and keep the pressure off the defence.

We also need a left back with flexibility who can play in other positions.

If we can source such players via a loan or signing we will have a strong squad who will compete and win games.

In fairness, the management team will know this and will be working to resolve this - I am confident such players will be incoming soon.

Am no sure about the loan market, since the match day squad is now 20, think most of the good players, who would’ve been available for loan, are now sitting on the bench, barely playing, think this was exposed by the quality of loan players we had last season, so I have no faith we will find any quality in the loan market 

19 hours ago, Old Timer said:

If we're being overrun, suggests we don't have the right players. Still doesn't answer the question of scoring more goals.

We have to have better delivery from crosses, corners, free kicks and throw ins, also our midfield needs to be aware of when to attack in numbers, then defend in numbers 

47 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

On the subject of the loan market, Olusanya is playing for Hibs today.  He looks like a completely different player from the one who crumpled to the ground screaming if an opposition player looked at him.

Easier for someone to play better, when the balls not being hoofed up the park with your back to 4 defenders, with no-one supporting you.

Credit to the big man for getting a goal 

Josh Campbell barely got a look in whilst on loan, the hit and hope worked well for big Nouble, and Jack Hamilton but the reality is that horrific style of play is more the reason players dont perform here. 

Long balls from the back, bypassing the midfield, totally discounting any wide players is just bad management.

4 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

On the subject of the loan market, Olusanya is playing for Hibs today.  He looks like a completely different player from the one who crumpled to the ground screaming if an opposition player looked at him.

Playing and scoring against Hibs not for