The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Against United the whole team collectively looked miles off pace - 2nd to almost every ball.

United looked sharp, fit, confident, well drilled and motivated - think DC learnt a new lesson last week.

I think this is all I’m wanting to see from us - we might get outplayed and lose to some individual brilliance but there’s no reason for us to not be winning our shares of 50/50s, putting tackles in and defending as a team unit.

It’s a good group of players, squad still unbalanced for me and in a way the team is too.

I think if we did have one or two defensive minded central midfielders in we would be able to play more of our better attacking players.

Right now though we don’t so it seems the only solution is to set up with more bodies in midfield trying to serve that purpose. 

I think the next 7 days are going to be tough results wise but I just hope to see some positive signs 

Personally I wouldn’t drop Dow, he’s been one of, if not our most consistent player so far this season.

Even though I would normally rather go out to try and win every game, I would prefer if we set up a bit more cautiously today. Yes, it feels like a bit of a free hit and no one expects anything other than a defeat but a second pumping in a row wouldn’t be great for confidence or goal difference and would have an impact on how the game was approached next Saturday. A decent competitive performance, tight scoreline and, hopefully nicking a point or even maybe three would be great.

40 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yes, it feels like a bit of a free hit and no one expects anything other than a defeat 

I'm sorry, what?  This feels like an eminently winnable game.  If we're set up right and play this game properly, of course we can win it!  Why the defeatism so early in the season?  What have Queens Park done that makes you think they are some sort of unbeatable juggernaut?  They've signed a bunch of kids.

Edited to add, I do agree with you though, we should be set up cautiously, none of this 4-4-2, playing 2 wingers, or experimental line up insanity.  

Edited by ExiledLichtie

12 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I think we can get something from this match - we beat them 1-0 last time we played them.

Of course we can but I would still say that no one (apart from you perhaps) expects it. Any kind of positive result would be superb but unexpected.

Just look at the score predictions thread to see that not one single person thinks that it’ll be anything other than a QP win - that is the very definition of “no one expects anything other than a defeat” for Arbroath.

Also can’t see how the scoreline from a game 5 months ago has any relevance to today. No more than the 4-1 pumping they gave us in the game previous to that. Different players, different manager for QP, our defensive situation etc etc.

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm sorry, what?  This feels like an eminently winnable game.  If we're set up right and play this game properly, of course we can win it!  Why the defeatism so early in the season?  What have Queens Park done that makes you think they are some sort of unbeatable juggernaut?  They've signed a bunch of kids.

Edited to add, I do agree with you though, we should be set up cautiously, none of this 4-4-2, playing 2 wingers, or experimental line up insanity.  

Ok. Personally I have the fear about today but hope I’m wrong. Yes, of course we can win and I sincerely hope we do but aside from one half of football v Montrose, I don’t think we’ve shown enough to feel positive about the season so far, do you?

QPs kids beat ICT away last week, a pretty good indication that they might be fairly decent. Never said they were an unbeatable juggernaut but, going by what I’ve seen of us so far, if they have energy and pace then they are definitely favourites to win today.

Because of that, I think we need to setup more defensively and try to frustrate them in the middle of the park and stifle their attack. Then hopefully hit them on the counter. We’re definitely more dangerous up front and (as we’re all saying) are probably only a couple of players away from being competitive so a good performance and positive result today would give us a huge boost.

21 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Because of that, I think we need to setup more defensively and try to frustrate them in the middle of the park and stifle their attack. Then hopefully hit them on the counter. We’re definitely more dangerous up front and (as we’re all saying) are probably only a couple of players away from being competitive so a good performance and positive result today would give us a huge boost.

That's how we're best, so I completely agree.

Sounds daft to say but I hope Steele is injured and it wasn't Tactical to replace him with Jacobs, 

Finishing another match with 2 recognised defenders is criminal, 

Only 3 games In but if next week is another poor performance and mess then we need to really wonder if the management can fix it, 

16 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Sounds daft to say but I hope Steele is injured and it wasn't Tactical to replace him with Jacobs, 

Finishing another match with 2 recognised defenders is criminal, 

Only 3 games In but if next week is another poor performance and mess then we need to really wonder if the management can fix it, 

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Can’t believe I hope Steele was injured as otherwise it’s a mind boggling management decision. Take off a full back at 1-1 and go 1-2 down within 5 minutes.

I've backed DC up to now and thought he had earned the right to get us out of trouble last season, which he did. But coupled with last season and our poor cup performances (bar one game) and our poor start to the season i think we have won one competitive game in about our last 8 or 9 games which isn't on. Also the left back debacle is bordering on criminal. Thanks for the memories DC but we need new blood leading the team. 

1 minute ago, keptie said:

I've backed DC up to now and thought he had earned the right to get us out of trouble last season, which he did. But coupled with last season and our poor cup performances (bar one game) and our poor start to the season i think we have won one competitive game in about our last 8 or 9 games which isn't on. Also the left back debacle is bordering on criminal. Thanks for the memories DC but we need new blood leading the team. 

Yeah. I’m willing to give him next week but if it’s not a win, coupled with a left back being brought in during the week then I’m done.

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah. I’m willing to give him next week but if it’s not a win, coupled with a left back being brought in during the week then I’m done.

Yeah, i'll  give him that also. Hope he proves me wrong but i just have a real bad feeling about our situation.