The Arbroath Thread

All tonight has confirmed is we are in massive trouble and we need a new manager soon, Taking Bird off for Little is mind boggling, 

Awful from Gaston after a great save sums up where we are, 

Big changes needed in January if we want to stay in this league, the squad we have isn't good enough as it stands 

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Can’t hang about with getting the new manager - within a week or we’re fucked.

Am I correct in saying that we’ve lost every game since Malcolm came to the club?

He is a good luck charm......... for the opposition.

McKenna off in a stretcher - f**k me man it was 3-0 who cares about all the additional time just blow the whistle. Gold off injured too. 

We look absolutely lost - a shadow of ourselves. 

Fully reliant on Hylton and Bird to score goals and are so light on numbers. 

It is all a bit of a shambles 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McKenna off in a stretcher - f**k me man it was 3-0 who cares about all the additional time just blow the whistle. Gold off injured too. 

We look absolutely lost - a shadow of ourselves. 

Fully reliant on Hylton and Bird to score goals and are so light on numbers. 

It is all a bit of a shambles 

Not going to say “I told you so” (not you literally) but very early in the season I was being castigated by some here for saying our squad was far too light on numbers - and even as recently for commenting on how embarrassingly small our bench was v TNS. This isn’t the 80s anymore - you need at least 21/22 of a squad to function in the modern game.

Edited by Tattie36

The negativity from the kick off tonight was shocking. Set up to get into shape (4-1-4-1) and not give anything away. Clearly told to slow the game down at every opportunity.
As soon as Dunfermline came out at a higher tempo in the second half we were always going to go behind and we are so fragile just now we weren’t going to get back into it. Confidence is clearly rock bottom and belief too so don’t set up negative because what does that say to the players? I don’t believe you can win this so 0-0 will be a great result!!!  

We then lose heavily anyway. I’d rather lose heavily giving it a go than trying to get a 0-0. Take the flipping brakes off and let the players express themselves and build confidence by letting them know they have the belief of the “management” team. 

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

Any potential manager watching this tonight can be under no illusion - players have no confidence and were absolutely awful - they were weak in every position.

Big, big job for incoming manager to sort out - will need to be an experienced manager.

Was that the “Real Arbroath” ? 

Answer the question 

12 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Not going to say “I told you so” (not you literally) but very early in the season I was being castigated by some here for saying our squad was far too light on numbers - and even as recently for commenting on how embarrassingly small our bench was v TNS. This isn’t the 80s anymore - you need 21/22 of a squad to function in the modern game.

More so on player types - there is not too much difference between Gold / Slater / Norey / Lyon / Jacobs - all central kind of defensive midfield players but not really defensive midfield players with no standout attribute. Dick loved filling the squad with these players, usually so they could play in several positions. 

Dow doesn’t really offer anything out wide - Turan pretty similar in all honesty. Neither are wingers but it is the only place for them in the team.

Stowe and Hylton are our two real players with pace - Hylton virtually the only spark in the side cause Stowe never ever plays. Stewart cannot get out of defence 

I really rate Bird but he was poor tonight - if he’s poor then nobody is scoring cause the whole system is built on him bringing the team into play 

So much work to do - I would just send Norey and Turan down the road in January. Get rid of Jacobs if possible. Try to get a bit more balance to the squad  

I really hope McKenna is ok 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Was that the “Real Arbroath” ? 

Answer the question 

Yeah the “real Arbroath” who were going to win our two games in hand and go 4th - because “we have a great squad fantastic players, the desire” blah blah fucking blah.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

More so on player types - there is not too much difference between Gold / Slater / Norey / Lyon / Jacobs - all pretty small central kind of defensive midfield players but not really defensive midfield players with no standout attribute. Dick loved filling the squad with these players, usually so they could play in several positions. 

Dow doesn’t really offer anything out wide - Turan pretty similar in all honesty. Neither are wingers but it is the only place for them in the team.

Stowe and Hylton are our two real players with pace - Hylton virtually the only spark in the side cause Stowe never ever plays. Stewart cannot get out of defence 

I really rate Bird but he was poor tonight - if he’s poor then nobody is scoring cause the whole system is built on him bringing the team into play 

So much work to do - I would just send Norey and Turan down the road in January. Get rid of Jacobs if possible. Try to get a bit more balance to the team 

I really hope McKenna is ok 

Agree with you but you also need physical numbers - how many will we have on the bench on Saturday 3, 4? I keep saying this but it would be embarrassing for a junior team to be incapable of filling the bench never mind an established championship team. Yes we’ve had bad luck with injuries etc but so does everyone else, you have to build that in to your squad because it happens every season to every team.

To put Balde out on loan was one of the worst decisions made by Campbell.

Edited by Tattie36

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Wait, so we have a tiny squad, light on numbers, and you want to get rid of Turan, Norey, and Jacobs?  We barely have a bench as it is!

Yes - and bring different players in - that bench was utterly depressing tonight again - nothing against the guys on it but it’s just like for like - there’s nothing different - which was my point 

Sending Balde on loan an absolutely horrendous decision - Dicks left us in a mess 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Sending Balde on loan an absolutely horrendous decision - Dicks left us in a mess 

Yet Facebook will be rammed with Dick loving happy clappers saying we should have stuck with him. This entire shambles is 100% his fault and still will be even if we bring someone else in and go down anyway.