The Arbroath Thread

Having a development squad is daft for us. Yes we have reasonable money but why waste so much of it on another full squad of wages won’t be loads but still a chunk, a coaching team, facilities, equipment etc etc. yes the squads think but a development squad isn’t the answer. The good young local talent will already snapped up by all the big development teams 

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Having a development squad is daft for us. Yes we have reasonable money but why waste so much of it on another full squad of wages won’t be loads but still a chunk, a coaching team, facilities, equipment etc etc. yes the squads think but a development squad isn’t the answer. The good young local talent will already snapped up by all the big development teams 

I agree with people regarding this.  Youth development has changed, and its a nice thing to have, sure, but you need money and facilities, and with so many full time clubs snapping up youngsters, if we found anyone good, we'd lose them.

Our best hope is more likely to be snapping up the people who are left without a club after falling out of youth academies and full time football, like we did with the Sheerin squad, but even then, in the age of bigger squads, there are less of those.

Personally, I felt that we should have had a reserve team, and its something I mentioned earlier in the season.  With larger squads, not everyone gets games, and having a reserve team means that we can give our subs regular games and chances to impress, we can give injured players a gentler pathway to recovery, and yes, we can pick up some prospects and try them out.  I think that's a more sustainable route than a youth team.  

Edited by ExiledLichtie

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Can’t hang about with getting the new manager - within a week or we’re fucked.

Am I correct in saying that we’ve lost every game since Malcolm came to the club?

It was no shock he was given the job in the short term but for me he should of been away aswell, feel we needed a fresh face with a fresh approach to try and give the players a boost, I doubt much even changed regarding the set up and tactics last night, I get there wasn't much of a turn around in time to do this between last night and Saturday but Campbell being shown then door was on the cards for a good few weeks now and I would of liked to have though there was already a plan in place, if the plan was malcom then you would of been as well of sticking with Dick, 

There is no viable reserve league for Arbroath to play in, so unfortunately it's an irrelevant debate. The reserve league is only played in by full time clubs with a lot of the reserve games being played in the afternoons, predominately Tuesday's.

The idea of us having a squad of 25 odd players and players missing work to feature in reserve games while we pay them £50 quid a week for the priviledge is not feasible in any way, shape or form. 

SP would be my choice as well for our next Manager of the Red Lichties.

Btw although i would never bet against my own team what were the odds on Wighton scoring against us?

He must have the best goals/games ratio against us that anyone else in the last decade, a striker i rate highly given the correct service.

10 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Full time team against a part time team lacking in any confidence whatsoever in a midweek game. A relatively solid first 45 minutes and second half we were totally overrun. Hardly a huge surprise overall and pretty much to be expected given the circumstances.

It certainly illustrates how much the expectations of Lichtie fans have changed. A part time team with less resources going to a full time venue midweek is always going to be a challenge. The Pars suffered several injuries during the game but could still bring on some vey decent subs like Ohalloran and Wighton. The sort of bench we can only dream of. The new management team is inheriting a sparse and unbalanced squad.  Even with the right recruitment the next few weeks promise to be emotional.

28 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

SP would be my choice as well for our next Manager of the Red Lichties.

Btw although i would never bet against my own team what were the odds on Wighton scoring against us?

He must have the best goals/games ratio against us that anyone else in the last decade, a striker i rate highly given the correct service.

So what's your point. Were you at the game, my grandma could have scored the 2 goals he did and she might have scored the other 2 chances that he missed

The recent run of defeats has placed doubts in the player's minds - resulting in them losing confidence, this is one of the reasons they are making mistakes - they have a fear of losing, which is putting them on the edge (this is common among teams on a losing run).

One of the first tasks for the new manager will be to restore the player's confidence, get them believing they can win games and guide them to start winning games - then the confidence will return.

Last night was a horror show ( there have been a few this season), but we still have time to turn this around - we need a new manager who can inspire the players, lift their confidence, get them organised and get them back playing good football ( which they have proved they can do).

We need to rally round, support the players and back the new manager when he arrives - get a win and the confidence and self belief will slowly start to return.

12 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

The recent run of defeats has placed doubts in the player's minds - resulting in them losing confidence, this is one of the reasons they are making mistakes - they have a fear of losing, which is putting them on the edge (this is common among teams on a losing run).

One of the first tasks for the new manager will be to restore the player's confidence, get them believing they can win games and guide them to start winning games - then the confidence will return.

Last night was a horror show ( there have been a few this season), but we still have time to turn this around - we need a new manager who can inspire the players, lift their confidence, get them organised and get them back playing good football ( which they have proved they can do).

We need to rally round, support the players and back the new manager when he arrives - get a win and the confidence and self belief will slowly start to return.

Last night was the “Real Arbroath”

17 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

What does any of this mean… really?

What self belief? What confidence? what doubts?

Aside from a 4 game window (5 if you include squeeking past a poor QoS in the diddy cup) and the occasional isolated game last season, this is our form and has been for the guts of 18 months. Although arguably, this season (aside from those 4 games) is far worse than last season.

You constantly talk as if we have some form to return to when the reality is that the 4 wins was an anomaly - this is reality.

I watched Arbroath pre season and said they would be in trouble this season and looks like being proven correct. Suspect you will chuck some money at it in January. Still think we could get drawn into it if injuries hit us.