The Arbroath Thread

13 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

I wouldn't say we were lucky. We had more points than 2 other teams over a whole season and that is not luck. We were awful for a lot of games but managed to dig out some good draws. Wasn't good viewing for most of the game though.

Oh we were, they’re can’t have been many teams who were as bad as us and stayed up

22 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

My gut feeling is that we will be relegated

I would disagree with that - we are 4 points clear of Morton and if we win our game in hand we go 6th in the league ( yes, big ask at the moment to win any games, but this will soon change when the players recover from injuries and a new manager arrives.

We still have a good squad, the players have lost their form - the manager's remit will be to sort this out and get up moving up the table.

It's a tough league, but absolutely no reason why we can't start winning games once the confidence returns.

The new manager will have time to work on the player's form and confidence etc - a lot will depend on the style of management who is incoming.

Lots of yo-yo teams going up and down the league - so still all to play for.

12 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is this based on anything or just your opinion?  I thought it would be a couple of weeks.

Heard it was basically done - but could have heard a load of shite mind you. No way they’d take that long surely - would’ve been interviewing people all week 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

15 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I would disagree with that - we are 4 points clear of Morton and if we win our game in hand we go 6th in the league ( yes, big ask at the moment to win any games, but this will soon change when the players recover from injuries and a new manager arrives.

We still have a good squad, the players have lost their form - the manager's remit will be to sort this out and get up moving up the table.

It's a tough league, but absolutely no reason why we can't start winning games once the confidence returns.

The new manager will have time to work on the player's form and confidence etc - a lot will depend on the style of management who is incoming.

Never change, my blindly loyal, wildly optimistic friend  🤩

43 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

You’d be saying this if you were on zero points in March though

24 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Never change, my blindly loyal, wildly optimistic friend

Last year a few fans on this forum had us relegated before the end of the season and yet here we are still in the Championship - nothing to do with being loyal, a glance at the league table can tell you that 5-6 teams move up and down the table every few weeks.

We also have good players who have been under performing - if the incoming manager can fix this, then we will start winning games.

If you choose to think otherwise thats your call - no big deal, we all differ with opinions.

21 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Last year a few fans on this forum had us relegated before the end of the season and yet here we are still in the Championship - nothing to do with being loyal, a glance at the league table can tell you that 5-6 teams move up and down the table every few weeks.

We also have good players who have been under performing - if the incoming manager can fix this, then we will start winning games.

If you choose to think otherwise thats your call - no big deal, we all differ with opinions.

First season in the Championship I was convinced we’d do a Brechin and struggle to win a game. Couldn’t have been more wrong.

If we get the right manager in and balance the squad there’s no reason to think we can’t beat the drop. What’s equally important is that we don’t go into free fall like some who’ve been relegated in recent seasons.

Of course we can stay up. I do think, as things stand and based on current form, that we’re probably favourites for the automatic drop though.

However what we have over the other teams in the Championship is an opportunity, forced upon us, to radically change and improve. It’s dependent on several factors falling into place though as, even with a new manager, I don't think the current squad is anywhere near good enough to stay up. Yes we have a number of good players, although is it likely we’ll lose one/two or more of those in the coming window? Imo the squad is too small and imbalanced - we’re physically weak in midfield, the defence is underperforming (partly due to the midfield failings) and the goals have dried up.

The right management team in charge along with the existing squad getting their fingers oot, combined with solid recruitment and sensible tactics will hopefully be enough to reverse the rot and see us to safety.

As happens when any new manager comes in I’m actually feeling quite excited to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, JobbieSandwich said:

Mick Kennedy is now off the table. East Kilbride have promised him a 6-figure transfer kitty to spend over the next 3 windows.

I think you were the only one who ever put "him" on the table...Mick.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Fingers crossed today is the day we get the new manager announcement 

14 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Fingers crossed today is the day we get the new manager announcement 

Who the front runner?