The Arbroath Thread

9 minutes ago, superlichtie87 said:

Can we sign Lewis Strapp?

He always always been Morton's best player when they play us and he has good pace and would definitely strengthen our left back option. 

Not sure what has happened to him though as he is no longer at Morton and no sign of a new team since.

Strapp’s been training and playing in bounce games for Killie. Think he’d be out of your guys budget but stranger things have happened 

9 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Strapp’s been training and playing in bounce games for Killie. Think he’d be out of your guys budget but stranger things have happened 

Yes, wishful thinking but he would be a great signing for us if possible. Good to know that he is not without a club and is still playing albeit in bounce games.

30 minutes ago, superlichtie87 said:

Can we sign Lewis Strapp?

He always always been Morton's best player when they play us and he has good pace and would definitely strengthen our left back option. 

Not sure what has happened to him though as he is no longer at Morton and no sign of a new team since.

Strapp was good for Morton. Losing him and also Grimshaw to the Arabs really weakened their side.

Playing without Hammy then bringing him back, straight into the starting eleven was less than ideal. A left sided defender or defensive midfielder has been a serious omission all season.

Edited by timlichtie

26 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Sure McIntyre has got a good pal at Killie…. 

Although not suggesting that will happen. 

Agree it is hard to tell how well Barry done because at the end of the day he was only identifying a whole lot of players and presenting them to DC. Sure he worked very hard - the article in the Courier showed how tough a job it was. Good luck to him whatever he does next. 

McIntyre has full control of that side now. 

Who else is on his coaching team other than Jimmy Boyle?

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Barry didn’t do a decent job and you know that

At the end of the summer, it was more or less collectively agreed on here that the squad was much stronger than it had been after the previous two transfer windows.  The trialists we signed seemed to be of a better standard, and part time Scottish based players like Steele and Slater were identified and brought to the club.  I don't think we could lay any of the blame with Sellars, surely?

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Bird is as good as we could’ve got as a striker I reckon. 

Also do not want to see hordes of guys come up here on trial ever again. 

... right.  So no trialists ever again, but one of the trialists was "as good as we could’ve got as a striker"?

54 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

At the end of the summer, it was more or less collectively agreed on here that the squad was much stronger than it had been after the previous two transfer windows.  The trialists we signed seemed to be of a better standard, and part time Scottish based players like Steele and Slater were identified and brought to the club.  I don't think we could lay any of the blame with Sellars, surely?

... right.  So no trialists ever again, but one of the trialists was "as good as we could’ve got as a striker"?

You know fine well what I mean. If we had a hunner boys up who’d been playing for teams in the National League I’d be all for it but you’re not going to get that. That is not going to happen.

Jay Bird had been playing for Dagenham and Redbridge last season he was clearly going to be worth looking at. 

A hunner boys from Isthmian League south west premier Peckham division or whatever no fucking thank you.

I’m quite obviously not saying that there should be no trialists to play for us ever again that is a bizarre take. 

Until recent years, last seasons pre season has left my brain I have no memory of it, the only similar thing I’ve seen to what we done this summer past was when Paul Sheerin had a whole bunch of random hopeless blokes turn up to play a pre season friendly against Cove Rangers. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

How many randomers down south did we actually sign?  Turan was from the previous summer and has done fine, and Norey has had one game where he looked great.  Hylton wasn't a randomer at all, and has been excellent, and Bird has been our best goalscorer has he not?  This is like the "Nouble's mates" thing, where nobody could actually list any of his "mates" that signed.

People were generally happy with the (non defensive) recruitment by the end of the summer, I feel like there's a lot of revisionism going on.  Yes, I would like to see us sign more of the best part time players, so I agree there, but our "recruitment team" had one window, and seemed to do reasonably well.  None of this summer's signings were Deri Corfe.

I am sorry to see Barry Sellars leave to club plus agree with the above that THIS season the "recruitment team" have done okay after only having one transfer window to work on as Steele and Slater are good players imo and Bird, Hylton, Turan etc are a lot better than the signings last season during the windows.

I am pretty sure they had some defence cover on trial as well but remember it is not them that pick the players to sign that would be DC and the coaching team but Dick would have the final say.

Not sure what will happen now with Barry away as as far as i can make out that will leave no local AFC staff to train the likes of Bird etc during the week unless the likes of Kev Middleton is still doing this?  

32 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I am sorry to see Barry Sellars leave to club plus agree with the above that THIS season the "recruitment team" have done okay after only having one transfer window to work on as Steele and Slater are good players imo and Bird, Hylton, Turan etc are a lot better than the signings last season during the windows.

I am pretty sure they had some defence cover on trial as well but remember it is not them that pick the players to sign that would be DC and the coaching team but Dick would have the final say.

Not sure what will happen now with Barry away as as far as i can make out that will leave no local AFC staff to train the likes of Bird etc during the week unless the likes of Kev Middleton is still doing this?  

Kev still does this. 

9 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Not sure what you mean by this?Loan market has never been for experienced pros. Since we have come into the championship Miko Virtanen, Craig Wighton, Ben Williamson, Chris Hamilton & Jack Hamilton have all been young lads who've come in and done well. Dick & co seemed to abandon the loan market in the last couple seasons, but I wonder how much of that was to do with Prem clubs not wanting to loan us players due to the way we played, and how Dick used them (Was not a fan of him but Hancock playing left wing for example). I hope that with a fresh start at the club under McIntyre we once again will be able to use the loan market well. 

But nobody decent since the Hamilton's, we’re a championship club, no a proving ground for laddies, we need experienced professionals to get us out of the position we are in

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I thought Ruth was ok and wanted him to get more of a chance. 

Bitsindou done a job in fairness. He played centre half that day we beat Dundee at Dens. Played there in a game we drew against Dundee at home too. Filled in there pretty well

Harrison Clark the only one who I thought was gubbins

I saw this tweet in the summer - I do think the way we played under Dick on the whole was massively over exaggerated - I do think that some Premie clubs definitely had this feeling about us though 

Also these rules were all in place when McIntyre was at Cove and he had Charlie Gilmour, Kyle McLelland, Jack Sanders and Max Johnston on loan - all 4 looked like good players in the game they beat us 2-0 up there. Sanders and Johnston especially 

These loanees didn’t keep Cove up, so using them as examples is pointless and Ruth was nowhere near good enough, hence where he is playing now

6 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

All the other Championship teams seem to have a fair few loanees. Strange we have none. Clubs making loans didn’t like Dick’s style of play?

Of course they don’t like DC style of play, he makes a complete arse of it time and time again. Not playing folks, playing them in the wrong positions, this is on top of the most bizarre tactics that don’t work, by passing the midfield with endless balls up top.

Mason Hancock, a Centre Half, was put out left wing in his first game

Josh Campbell ( left to rot on the bench ) 

A manager will want the loanee to get game time and experience, not driving up to Arbroath on game day to sit on a bench, we as well sat on a bench in the SPL than sat there.

No one in their right mind would send anyone with any potential to Arbroath to improve their experience or game time the way we have played over the last 18 months. 

3 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

I know for a fact that Josh Campbell's father was pissed off that Josh never got a chance at Gayfield and you can bet that Hibs were aware of this. 

It certainly will not help us to get loans from Hibs with this record. 

New management means a fresh start surely? 

From what I remember of Josh he showed nothing special was poor imo in his appearances. I recall when maloney started using him regularly at hibs a lot of friends couldn’t quite believe as they thought the same. But fair play to the guy plays most weeks for the past season or two. 

13 hours ago, ecto said:

But nobody decent since the Hamilton's, we’re a championship club, no a proving ground for laddies, we need experienced professionals to get us out of the position we are in

These loanees didn’t keep Cove up, so using them as examples is pointless and Ruth was nowhere near good enough, hence where he is playing now

Well they might have but they all left in January when Hartley come in…. 😂 only big McClelland was in the squad when we drew 1-1 away to them at the end of the season and he was on the bench. 

There absolutely will be loans to be had that would be good players for the squad right now - saying there are no loans to be had from Scottish Premiership teams any more when there are 16 of them, a full team and subs bench, in other Championship squads doesn’t make any sense

It is definitely harder you are right but I think for all the reasons given Premiership clubs didn’t really like sending their players here - hopefully with McIntyre it will be a fresh starter 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

yeah Josh Campbell a very poor example, he didnt do anything at all during his time with us to think he would go on to do as well as he has. Whether he was playing in the right position or not.

I think all this gets totally over thought and over played, like most clubs we have had around a 50% success rate with loans, some work out, some don't. Mangers cant win, if we have 4 or 5 loans playing, everyone moans that "they are not our players" and then this season the moan is "why dont we have any fucking loans"

Need to get the balance right, lets hope mcintyre does this in Jan.

3 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

yeah Josh Campbell a very poor example, he didnt do anything at all during his time with us to think he would go on to do as well as he has. Whether he was playing in the right position or not.

I think all this gets totally over thought and over played, like most clubs we have had around a 50% success rate with loans, some work out, some don't. Mangers cant win, if we have 4 or 5 loans playing, everyone moans that "they are not our players" and then this season the moan is "why dont we have any fucking loans"

I actually like the fact we had no loans this year and weren’t fully reliant on them - but dunno if that was forced upon us or not because we definitely tried to get a guy from England and Aberdeen in on loan at left back and failed so we obviously were still trying to do it. 

But I wouldn’t write them off completely and say that loans from the Scottish Prem are hopeless cause every other Championship team is still using this as an avenue to recruit. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

26 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

It brings to mind Olusanya.  After watching him throw himself to the ground every time he felt a breath of wind, I am stunned that he's actually playing in the premier league for St. Mirren.  We never saw anything at all like that from him!

34 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

True. Clearly NONE is not the right balance.