The Arbroath Thread

f**k knows 

Next 5 fixtures don’t look good 

Can’t see where the points come from 

I’m actually angry that we’ve been left in this position - unlucky with the 2 bad injuries yeah but that bench tonight…

Backed Dick as much as I could’ve and tried to see the positives there - but he’s left us in a bit of a mess 

Bit of a gut wrencher  last night but gotta move on from it. Can't fault the players commitment and hopefully we can hang in there till we get some new faces in along with some of the injured back but McKenna being out till March is a massive blow. Seen Bird holding his hamstring prior to going off which isn't good but hopefully he got off before too much damage was done.

3 minutes ago, keptie said:

Bit of a gut wrencher  last night but gotta move on from it. Can't fault the players commitment and hopefully we can hang in there till we get some new faces in along with some of the injured back but McKenna being out till March is a massive blow. Seen Bird holding his hamstring prior to going off which isn't good but hopefully he got off before too much damage was done.

Bird and Slater looked to have hurt their hamstrings 

11 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

THuoght Jacobs had a good game, almost ridiculed on here at times, showed last night he was up for it and put in a power of work

I honestly don't think he was ever as bad as people on here said.  I think he took a fair bit of time to get up to speed when he first signed, and looked rusty as hell in his first few games, but after that he was fine.  He doesn't have a great deal of pace, he'll never win a sprint, but he's perfectly fine as a player.

I did think there were a couple occasions last night where you could see he was still a bit rusty, but I'd have no issue with him getting more games.

Without McKenna our midfield is devoid of any pace. There are decent players in there but they struggle to recover and defend when we lose the ball. Slater has the technical ability to create but absolutely needs more pace and physicality around him.

At least we can see some shape developing. It will certainly take the 4 to 6 recruits Jim wants to give us a fighting chance. It’s worrying that free agent players are already turning us down. 

4 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Without McKenna our midfield is devoid of any pace. There are decent players in there but they struggle to recover and defend when we lose the ball. Slater has the technical ability to create but absolutely needs more pace and physicality around him.

At least we can see some shape developing. It will certainly take the 4 to 6 recruits Jim wants to give us a fighting chance. It’s worrying that free agent players are already turning us down. 

It’s not worrying at all - depends who the players are - the only free agents who have went elsewhere as McIntyre said since he has become manager have been GMS who signed for Killie and Strapp who signed for Morton.

Would never have had much chance of either but it’s desperate times and probably worth asking the question.

GMS will know Jimmy Boyle very well and McIntyre obviously very close to McInnes at Killie where GMS and Strapp have both been training. 

Wouldn't over think that 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

11 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I honestly don't think he was ever as bad as people on here said.  I think he took a fair bit of time to get up to speed when he first signed, and looked rusty as hell in his first few games, but after that he was fine.  He doesn't have a great deal of pace, he'll never win a sprint, but he's perfectly fine as a player.

I did think there were a couple occasions last night where you could see he was still a bit rusty, but I'd have no issue with him getting more games.

Nah. Definitely was not exaggerated. Overall fine but he always seems to have a few moments where he completely fucks up and puts us in danger each game. Like what Harrison Clark used to do 

Hopefully he can play like last night regularly if he is required. Maybe needed a new manager to come in to help who knows 

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Next 5 fixtures don’t look good 

Can’t see where the points come from 

In fairness, all games in this league are tough - there are no easy games for any teams.

Based on last night's performance we will start collecting points soon - we played one of the best teams and should have taken at least a point - the players are all up for the battle ahead.

Also, the fringe players are now pushing for a regular position in the starting 11 - when the injured players return, along with the January signings we will have a strong squad.

Only 14 league games have been played - we are still very much in the mix and on last night's evidence the players seem confident and up for the fight - they all put in a great shift.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Couple of players from Edinburgh City maybe? Ryan Shanley for one I’ve always thought looked very good.

Danny Handling has left too. Not so sure on him but I can’t see how Dow and Turan would be that much of a better option. 

Was going to ask if anyone knew who the mysterious free transfers that have gone elsewhere are. Could only think of Handling, who isn't the standard you require. GMS and Strapp came to mind and both would have been strong additions 

Shanley I like too. Very interested to see who picks him up and evidently he will leave EC in the coming days.

Edit: didn't see that Shanley, Murray and a few others have already left EC along with Handling.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was going to ask if anyone knew who the mysterious free transfers that have gone elsewhere are. Could only think of Handling, who isn't the standard you require. GMS and Strapp came to mind and both would have been strong additions 

Shanley I like too. Very interested to see who picks him up and evidently he will leave EC in the coming days.

Edit: didn't see that Shanley, Murray and a few others have already left EC along with Handling.

Shanley wouldn’t have been able to go elsewhere just now he will have to wait until January. So do think he was maybe referring to GMS and Strapp due to what I said earlier in thread and the connections he will have with them. 

Would love to see us pick up Shanley in January

34 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

In fairness, all games in this league are tough - there are no easy games for any teams.

Based on last night's performance we will start collecting points soon - we played one of the best teams and should have taken at least a point - the players are all up for the battle ahead.

Also, the fringe players are now pushing for a regular position in the starting 11 - when the injured players return, along with the January signings we will have a strong squad.

Only 14 league games have been played - we are still very much in the mix and on last night's evidence the players seem confident and up for the fight - they all put in a great shift.

Picking up Points “soon” isn’t good enough. We need to pick up points now 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Shanley wouldn’t have been able to go elsewhere just now he will have to wait until January. So do think he was maybe referring to GMS and Strapp due to what I said earlier in thread and the connections he will have with them. 

Would love to see us pick up Shanley in January

Yeah agreed can only have been them. The Edinburgh guys will have a couple of weeks off now before they can play for another SPFL club. 

Shanley looked comfortably the pick of the bunch for the Citizens. An eye for goal and good movement. Only 5ft 9 so needs someone alongside him especially in the Championship I feel

There's a step up from L1 to the Championship clearly but he could probably make it.

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah agreed can only have been them. The Edinburgh guys will have a couple of weeks off now before they can play for another SPFL club. 

Shanley looked comfortably the pick of the bunch for the Citizens. An eye for goal and good movement. Only 5ft 9 so needs someone alongside him especially in the Championship I feel

There's a step up from L1 to the Championship clearly but he could probably make it.

Think we’re probably destined for League 1 as it stands.

Think we have to pick up 3 or 4 points before January so we are still in or close to the pack - if we can do this then I will have some belief but if we are stranded it’s going to be tough.

Shanley only 22 and for that age done well and as a part time option as good as you could hope for as a squad player with the potential to improve.

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Picking up Points “soon” isn’t good enough. We need to pick up points now 

Yeah. At the turn of the year last season I think we had 15/16 points and a large proportion of us thought we were doomed. Luckily Cove shat the bed which kind of saved us.

I would hope we can be sitting on the same kind of points again this season to give ourselves some kind of chance and hope we have a good window. The big problem is that I just can’t see where those 3 or 4 points are coming from - Dunfermline at home perhaps. If we can even get any kind of half decent team on the pitch that is.

I don't like to see teams doing this but we had a goal kick at 90+ and we should have just tried to play keep ball and ran the clock down to FT. Instead it was launched upfield and possession lost. Better game management could have seen us get a precious point

Edited by relichtie