The Arbroath Thread

12 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Hylton and Bird have been very good by all account we had some shite playing who were all quite rightly sent packing.

Was truely awful, Noubles mates, ill still never get over DC saying in the paper he was using Nouble and his knowledge of the English lower leagues.

Glad that’s over with

Was all for Dicks direct football but it asked so much of whoever was upfront or the guys trying to pick up the second balls - if they 2 things failed we surrendered possession immediately. It asked an awful lot of the striker and usually McKenna who was left to try and pick up the scraps and second balls. 

Also encouraged that despite everyone and their dug saying McIntyre only plays 4-4-2 that he’s not done that. Almost like a back 4 then 

Lyon

Gold Slater 

McIntosh right / Hylton Left

Bird 

Slater has been good recently (floaty set pieces and Morton mistake aside) - that was a class wee bit of skill he done to make a yard and put it on Gold (who is also breaking into the box constantly) head. 

Lyon doesn’t seem to move from the base of midfield and that is helping out the centre halves. 

Hopefully we can pick up something Saturday as it would guarantee we would be in and around the group of teams come January the 1st when we can get some reinforcements in. Imagine McIntyre has already got some moves lined up.

Heard that Jim Mac said a few names he would like to bring in during his interview. He should have knowledge of players from his previous manager posts. Need to beef up the squad, but not with average players, but with players to challenge those in the team now. 

Funnily enough I was reading about this guy earlier today on a thread on here - can’t remember where - but I thought we’d maybe be in for him after looking into it and I also thought that we would’ve been after Shanley and he would’ve been one of the players to go elsewhere after he was offered by ourselves when Falkirk announced him. 

Eta - it was the Airdrie thread - someone mentioned they should be in for him

Edited by 1320Lichtie

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Agree with the post about Charlie Reilly being a very good loan signing if that was to happen.

With Edinburgh City's financial problems another former player who I think would be a decent signing is Innes Murray.

From his stats his goals and assists contribution is pretty good. Always liked him at Edinburgh and I think he'd be better than the options we have out wide. In comparison to the wide men we have he can actually put a decent ball into the box which is something we've been lacking.

Probably seems unlikely he'll sign for us anyway but imagine he'll not be short of a few offers.

Yeah this post - I think Edinburgh have been a total mess this year financially but last year they were a good side and he seems to have been one of their better players.

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah this post - I think Edinburgh have been a total mess this year financially but last year they were a good side and he seems to have been one of their better players.

Yeah I mentioned him in the Airdrie thread earlier on, I think that's a very good signing for Arbroath, decent bit of business, even when he was briefly on loan at us I thought he looked decent.

Edinburgh were decent last year especially against us!! 😂

Kind of hoping with Jim McIntyre being good pals with Tony Docherty and Tony Docherty openly saying that he wants Reilly to toughen up a bit, add that to the fact that the guys probably moved up to Dundee and would be able to train with them during the day and us at night that we will get a loan of Charlie Reilly to take up that left midfield slot Hylton will leave. 

Watched some Edinburgh highlights - he seems like a strong runner, reasonable size, played on the right, left and in behind a striker and I can’t work out what foot he is going off what I’ve watched. If I had to guess I’d say left footed. 

Seems like a pretty good signing I think - seems solid 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Very good player is Innes!  Arbroath have done well persuading him to move up there!

Attacking midfielder, fast on the break, gets good crosses over and shots from range.

I'd imagine he'll be one of your better players.

6 hours ago, ARF1928 said:

Tends to play on the right side of midfield, he’s got some engine on him. Will always enjoy legend status as the man who scored *that* goal at Annan to seal promotion.

That glorious day seems a lifetime ago now 😕

Wee bit more on oooor Inness.

Sounds decent enough 

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Wee bit more on oooor Inness.

Sounds decent enough 

Played on the right hand side of midfield anytime I saw him,good hard working player he will do well.I remember when Dundee U20s used to play their games at LP and watching him play for Hibs he had something about him back then,along with Callum Crane(Just signed for Stirling from Edinburgh City)they were both the stand outs in that team when I saw them few years ago now.

6 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Played on the right hand side of midfield anytime I saw him,good hard working player he will do well.I remember when Dundee U20s used to play their games at LP and watching him play for Hibs he had something about him back then,along with Callum Crane(Just signed for Stirling from Edinburgh City)they were both the stand outs in that team when I saw them few years ago now.

Edinburgh City were great to watch last season and he seems to have gone under the radar for me anyway - Shanley and Robertson were always the standouts but that’s probably because they were the ones putting it into the net more often. 

I like it - I think this may mean Stewart could be our right back with Little out if he’s a right midfielder with another left sided midfielder coming in to take the departing Hylton spot - hopefully Charlie Reilly