The Arbroath Thread

Just now, TheRoundO said:

Ali Adams interview - "...the new physiological has arrived today..."  We've been going through this injury crisis without a club physio?  

Aye but you can’t just magic one out of thin air, don’t see what the issue is, the physio left and we had to replace him with someone who wanted the job and was suitably qualified 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye but you can’t just magic one out of thin air, don’t see what the issue is, the physio left and we had to replace him with someone who wanted the job and was suitably qualified 

I'm not criticising, just saying it's mind boggling that we have the majority of our players out injured AND didn't have a physic.  I don't know how the boys have been getting treatment and recovery programmes.  Hopefully we've had someone on contract.

Edited by TheRoundO

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I actually think it is an issue. They should have got someone in pronto. Even on a temporary basis until they’ve found someone full time 

I dont think having a bloated squad for 5 months is going to be an issue. Yes its a small financial hit.

Think the board will realise that having at least 16/17 fit players with others coming back from injury gives us a better chance of staying up than limiting our squad size and now having a 1 in 1 out scenario.

Quite a few players will be out of contract by the summer so the club will know it will return to normal levels.

Does anyone think that with the way this season has transpired that it looks like one too far for us. The lack of defensive cover at the start with Stewart as an emergency lb compounded with the amount of player  injuries which we have sustained, make it look like everything is against us staying up. Even the referees seem against us in many games. Hope I'm wrong and that the Lichtie fighting spirit comes out and we defy the odds again. No matter what  team we put out, they deserve all the support we can muster until the season end. C'mon lichties

Realistically we have been favourites for the drop every season since we were promoted. Our record on injuries has been amazing up until now and probably a major factor in keeping us up. This period is pay back for bucking the odds for so long.

Am I correct in thinking that all the recent signings have been just for the rest of the season? That would be a major departure from Dick’s policy of giving long contracts. I would certainly like to see MacKinnon on a longer deal. Maybe this is a longer term plan by the management to make major surgery to the squad in the summer.

I’m definitely not sold on MacKinnon, he put in a few very good crunching tackles but overall looked very gangly and slow and unassured on the ball (which is to be expected considering he was a 20 year old young lad who had played at Brora the first half of the season and had to go in and play a lot longer than expected in a paper patchwork team) jury definitely still out for me 

I’ve never seen injuries like this in all my time watching Arbroath - never noticed anything this bad at any other team either 

If Dundee United were missing 12 players - majority of them starters and some key players in there too they’d be struggling as well never mind us

Edited by 1320Lichtie

55 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I actually think it is an issue. They should have got someone in pronto. Even on a temporary basis until they’ve found someone full time 

Obviously not privy to behind the scenes, but I wonder if ToB and Steele would have been cleared to play against Raith (and ToB yesterday) if we had a permanent physio who had been treating the players for months and knew the players well?

Hylton was absolutely excellent - I dunno where he will end up - if he goes to League 1 that seems like a bad choice on his part. I’m sure he could get a better deal elsewhere I suppose it just depends on his circumstances in personal life. Seen rumours of him going back down south. 

I watched the highlights back - it’s a completely different feeling for me than last year was even though both years we’ve been down the wrong end of the table. This year I actually feel quite satisfied and even a wee bitty impressed with how some players and McIntyre have handled this whole situation. 

Scott Stewart for example - the guy has just been incredible - he’s an unsung hero and we should do whatever we can to keep him around 

That is not to take away from all the rest of them either cause they’ve all dug in deep but him especially. Just doing a good good job all over the park. What a guy 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m definitely not sold on MacKinnon, he put in a few very good crunching tackles but overall looked very gangly and slow and unassured on the ball (which is to be expected considering he was a 20 year old young lad who had played at Brora the first half of the season and had to go in and play a lot longer than expected in a paper patchwork team) jury definitely still out for me 

I’ve never seen injuries like this in all my time watching Arbroath - never noticed anything this bad at any other team either 

If Dundee United were missing 12 players - majority of them starters and some key players in there too they’d be struggling as well never mind us

Looked a better player than Robinson

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hylton was absolutely excellent - I dunno where he will end up - if he goes to League 1 that seems like a bad choice on his part. I’m sure he could get a better deal elsewhere I suppose it just depends on his circumstances in personal life. Seen rumours of him going back down south. 

I watched the highlights back - it’s a completely different feeling for me than last year was even though both years we’ve been down the wrong end of the table. This year I actually feel quite satisfied and even a wee bitty impressed with how some players and McIntyre have handled this whole situation. 

Scott Stewart for example - the guy has just been incredible - he’s an unsung hero and we should do whatever we can to keep him around 

That is not to take away from all the rest of them either cause they’ve all dug in deep but him especially. Just doing a good good job all over the park. What a guy 

he will go to whoever pays him the most 

45 minutes ago, ecto said:

Looked a better player than Robinson

he will go to whoever pays him the most 

On the contrary I thought Robinson looked very decent technically, had a great touch and pretty pacey - with the limited amount of action he was involved in 

Opinions eh 

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

On the contrary I thought Robinson looked very decent technically, had a great touch and pretty pacey - with the limited amount of action he was involved in 

Opinions eh 

Astonishing take. But your opinion. I just hope Robinson is a lot better than he looked yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Astonishing take. But your opinion. I just hope Robinson is a lot better than he looked yesterday. 

I mean I really struggle to see what he done wrong that would suggest that he didn’t have a decent touch and a bit of pace.. 

Actually thought it was Stowe a few times with his pace and any time he got the ball he looked tidy 

Struggled with misjudging all the balls that were launched up to his heed but overall done well considering how little we played yesterday 

Nothing stuck to Bird yesterday. Just one of those games and got nothing from the ref including when he was almost in a choke hold. Without it sticking for Bird it was difficult for Robinson to get much of a look in plus he isn't up to speed yet. Too early to tell yet.

I watched your highlights and I can't believe that incident was not given as a penalty but it was Euan Anderson.

Did I hear the commentary talk about " beans and toast" for the post. It made me smile. 

At least you got to see a game as I pondered the workings of USH in Fife.