The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

What makes you so certain he would have kept Cove up last season?  I’m assuming your certainty is not based on the results he had? 

Given that a bigger club than Arbroath never came in for McIntyre, despite him being free, I’m guessing you’ve more faith in his ability than a lot of chairmen.

Have explained all this earlier in this thread. Search for my post around mid December for full facts.

Summary is PPG, Goal Difference, W/D/L ratio far superior to what Paul Hartley achieved.

47 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Have explained all this earlier in this thread. Search for my post around mid December for full facts.

Summary is PPG, Goal Difference, W/D/L ratio far superior to what Paul Hartley achieved.

McIntyre had lost the dressing room at cove. The players wanted him out so there was no chance he would have been a success. 

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Cove were dogshit there’s no way McIntyre was keeping them up.

I must admit I remember Cove being extremely poor throughout the season in question.  In fairness perhaps a Cove fan would be bettered placed that any of us as to whether McIntyre would have kept Cove up as Tattie36 stated.

@CoveRangers1922  I’m happy enough to be proved wrong - again.  If McIntyre had been kept, in your opinion would he have definitely kept Cove up?

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

McIntyre had lost the dressing room at cove. The players wanted him out so there was no chance he would have been a success. 

They stood a better chance with McIntyre than with Hartley thats for sure.

The 2nd half of the season proved it. Just look at the results.

Arbroath and Hamilton were utter dogshit too. Was looking like a 2 horse race until Cove decided to join in the relegation battle. That helped keep Arbroath up.

17 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I must admit I remember Cove being extremely poor throughout the season in question.  In fairness perhaps a Cove fan would be bettered placed that any of us as to whether McIntyre would have kept Cove up as Tattie36 stated.

@CoveRangers1922  I’m happy enough to be proved wrong - again.  If McIntyre had been kept, in your opinion would he have definitely kept Cove up?

My recollection was that McIntyre had Cove lower mid table and they had had some good results, particularly at home, including beating Dundee. Beat us comfortably and looked impressive, miles better than when we played them later in the season at Balmoral under Hartley.

Yes, McIntyre had some awful results towards the end of his tenure at Cove but I can’t imagine knowing that the hairy prodigal son was likely returning would have helped.

Cove’s form fell off a cliff after Hartley returned. I’m certain they would have ended up above us and Accies if McIntyre had stayed.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

McIntyre had his hands tied with us compared to Hartley in recent seasons before him it seems. Hartley now has his hands tied too to a lesser extent.

Jim's signings were all 1 year deals or loans and his own contract was a 1 year rolling. 

It didn't look great for McIntyre early doors but he pulled off 3 fantastic late loans in Jack Sanders, Max Johnston and Charlie Gilmour and definitely kept us competitive until Christmas.

Would he have kept us up? I wish I knew.

We would have lost Max in January, Charlie and Fyvie had season ending injuries in late December and Blair Yule was out for 3 months at the turn of the year SO the writing was on the wall and it would have been a tough ask.

If we kept Sanders, which I think we would have, and McIntyre leaned on Del and/or pulled a few more strings I think we would have remained 8th. At worst we would have got 9th.

Hartley screwed us overly royally and relegated us.

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Jay bird gave up today 

Both Macintosh and Robinson looked injured in the second half. Jay took a lot of stick from the Morton defence. Thought he kept going remarkably well considering.

5 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Both Macintosh and Robinson looked injured in the second half. Jay took a lot of stick from the Morton defence. Thought he kept going remarkably well considering.

Disagree. He didn’t look interested 

3 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

What do you actually expect? 

a young attack minded midfielder filling in it full back along with 2 other midfielders. One defender playing with a broken toe. 
a midfield all playing out of there natural position and an outfield sub that manager clearly doesn’t rate and quite rightly imo he’s rubbish.  

the boys available are all physically fucked playing every minute of every game just now. 

we are playing to get through games with minimal damage in results and injures. 

What?? I think you have took what I said wrong 

Because I say we are in a mess and that team would struggle in league 2,

Obviously it would....

I've not had a dig at any player, the boys that are available are giving everything,

But the current starting 11 with the players playing out of position and absolutely no back up we would struggle to pick up points in lower leagues no mind the championship 

Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola wouldn't do any better at the moment with these injuries. If Cove had stayed up it would have been at our expense so glad they self destructed in the end from a selfish point of view. If we can get some key players back quickly we will have a chance otherwise it's going to be over quickly.

52 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

What?? I think you have took what I said wrong 

Because I say we are in a mess and that team would struggle in league 2,

Obviously it would....

I've not had a dig at any player, the boys that are available are giving everything,

But the current starting 11 with the players playing out of position and absolutely no back up we would struggle to pick up points in lower leagues no mind the championship 

The current team isn’t that terrible our problem is we can’t change anything inplay.

the back 4 today would play normally play albeit in normal positions. 3 out of the 5 in midfield would probably play a part again in normal positions And bird would play. 

We are a mess in the injury department but most these player are decent for this level bar 2 or 3 but are all just playing out of position which obviously isn’t helping. 

Dont even think we were that bad today considering our circumstance but what chance have you got with decisions going against you and your only sub to make is turan to come. The goal killed us and was only ending one way after that 

Recent games have gone the same way. A valiant effort for the first hour from a scratch team. The legs get tired, the opposition bring on fresh players and we’re done. Yesterday we matched Morton for the first 30 minutes. After the ridiculous red card it got difficult. No lack of effort from any player in maroon.

When we get a decent squad back I’m hopeful that this management team can get results. Whatever happens, the summer looks like being a root and branch rebuild.

15 hours ago, mountzionbrae said:

For reasons that are unknown to me it seems the club have obviously stopped giving out any info or updates re the players or team in general and we are now left completely in the dark and only get snippets in the post match interviews or sometimes in the local press. Their social media is just full of birthdays, holiday pics, shop sales and ticket info. 

I don’t know why the club have shut down and stopped communicating team info but with no game for three weeks, perhaps they will be gracious enough to let the support know the what the state of the team is? 

The club simply don’t give a f**k about supporters unless they are willing to buy/sponsor/donate. The club I once knew is gone. We are run as a business and supporters are now customers. The new scheme is the icing on the cake for me. Thanks for your support……but we need more of your money. 18 months of crap but give us more of your cash. Honestly considering giving it up. Il continue going this season because Iv bought my season ticket but it will be my last. 

6 minutes ago, keptie said:

Nobody has to buy, donate or sponsor anything from the club if they don't want to. Totally up to every individual what they do with their own money.

Totally agree, but also sympathise with the fans who feel left out in the dark about the stuff we really care about - the football team! The Club needs to take this 3 week break to up its game on the communications front. That’s the surest way to get fans contributing.

9 minutes ago, keptie said:

Nobody has to buy, donate or sponsor anything from the club if they don't want to. Totally up to every individual what they do with their own money.

You don’t see the point do you? Every month is something else. Always want more. When has that happened in the past? Are we now broke?