The Arbroath Thread

If he was spat on, that's a real shame, and I'd hope that it was just an accidental bit of spit.  It was a real shame the way it ended, but to be honest, if the reaction hadn't been as strong as it was, then he might still be here...

Regarding the rest of his interview, usual nonsense.  Hasn't changed my opinion either way.  That's what you get with Dick, for better or for worse.  I think we all learned to take every one of his interviews with many pinches of salt while he was with us.  So the interview hasn't changed anything.  I still wish him well at East Fife.

6 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

Was standing right where Hammy came over and it was in reaction to someone calling Dick a fat c**t and not cause someone spat on him.

Still not great behaviour to be fair but it’s definitely a million miles better than spitting at someone. Dick definitely havering shite.

Was it definitely an Arbroath fan (guessing it was)

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Still not great behaviour to be fair but it’s definitely a million miles better than spitting at someone. Dick definitely havering shite.

That’s where all the Arbroath supporters were congregated because we were shooting towards the tunnel end (there tunnel is in the corner) in the 2nd half. 

Am I being asked to believe that DC’s response to being deliberately spat on was merely to shake his head and walk off? I’m not having that for a second. Spoofing about fitba matters is one thing, having 6 teachers in our squad one July springs to mind, but this is too much. And as for not being asked to stay on after 18 months of abject pish. I’m saddened by this wee interview segment. Dunfermline, Partick, Forfar and Arbroath. DC always blameless. 

Pretty disappointing interview from him, 

Having a dig at the board who backed him, we were a mess and he was lucky to not of been sacked before then, he was the one that offered his resignation but expected the board to beg him to stay, the board backed him after the disaster of s season before and were left with no choice, the performances on the park were dire and there was far to much going on behind the scenes and unrest in changing rooms,

At spartans he didn't need to walk up to the fan,  he could of just kept his head down and walked down the tunnel, he gave plenty of abuse back, 

Then walking through the crowd into the changing rooms you could see a bit of a shouting match but I'd be very surprised if anyone spat, if that's the case whys it only come out now, surely at the time you would of reported it, 

No doubt he will go down as one of Arbroaths best managers and the fans will be always grateful but its a very poor interview, he thought he was immune to criticism but was quite happy to dish it out, wasn't the first time he had run in with fans, or moaning about fans singing the Bobby Linn song, 

19 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Pretty disappointing interview from him, 

Having a dig at the board who backed him, we were a mess and he was lucky to not of been sacked before then, he was the one that offered his resignation but expected the board to beg him to stay, the board backed him after the disaster of s season before and were left with no choice, the performances on the park were dire and there was far to much going on behind the scenes and unrest in changing rooms,

At spartans he didn't need to walk up to the fan,  he could of just kept his head down and walked down the tunnel, he gave plenty of abuse back, 

Then walking through the crowd into the changing rooms you could see a bit of a shouting match but I'd be very surprised if anyone spat, if that's the case whys it only come out now, surely at the time you would of reported it, 

No doubt he will go down as one of Arbroaths best managers and the fans will be always grateful but its a very poor interview, he thought he was immune to criticism but was quite happy to dish it out, wasn't the first time he had run in with fans, or moaning about fans singing the Bobby Linn song, 

He had a run in with the supporters 7 days earlier in Oswestry. He had to be physically dragged away by Rab Douglas 

12 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I would say that one other person definitely did see it - and that's Colin Hamilton. I didn't see anything myself, but Hammy clearly did and was immediately over having a go at someone opposite me. I've no idea if it did or did not happen, but it's worth keeping in mind Dick isn't the only one who thinks it did.

I actually take much more issue with the second part of what he says in terms of us basically not begging him to stay on as our manager. That's really quite a wild take and only appeals to those outside of the Arbroath bubble in Scottish football. To say he wanted the chairman to come out publically and basically give him free reign regardless of how the rest of the campaign panned out is absurd. We weren't even halfway through the season! A year prior to his departure when we were initially struggling after our miracle season that would've been much more understandable and he had more than enough credit in the bank at that point. At the stage he resigned he was running on empty, incredible he'd want the chairman to come out and publically back him to continue for at least another year or whatever at that point! :blink: 

I think Dick deserves a lot more respect than he gets from a lot of our fans for all that he achieved at the club, however he's never been a person I've warmed too. He's always embellished and exaggerated things whenever possible in his usual cheeky chappy way, and it's pissed me off since the mid 00s while he's managed both for and against us. This won't be the last time Dick references being hard done by or similar comments when it comes to ourselves, and it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone to hear him say as much.

Simon as others have said i think the Hammy intervention was to do with a verbal exchange with DC and not "spit"gate.

I was down at TNS and there was verbals down there as well because the Management/players seemed not to acknowledge the 360-400 travelling Red Lichtie fans apart from Stowe who walked down the pitch to applaud the AFC fans, DC then took a u-turn and walked down the pitch and got into an argument with some AFC fans and Big Rab had to manhandle him and drag him away, i knew at that point he had "lost the plot" (and it also looked like some players had downed tools) and after much thought during the week i decided not to travel to Spartans as i was not confident in getting a result and i told folk i feared there would be some type of incident if we got beat and that is exactly what happened.

I still hold DC up there for what he has done for the Red Lichties and that will never change but that stupid BBC interview has lost a bit of respect from me and i can 100% guarantee if he told his twin brother what he was going to say in the interview then Pink what have told him not to be so stupid.

This will no doubt be in the newspapers which does not do him or our club any good especially as it seems to be a "spoof" about him getting spat on by any of our support.

What a sad way for DC to end his otherwise (over his time at the club) a very successful spell as our Manager.    

Seems weird the BBC got this interview so far in the mainstream. Saying that, Dick obviously knew this and being someone who can play to a viewing audience, he's stirred up enough shit there to make our club look poor, from top to bottom. 

If his allegations about the fan or even the verbal abuse are true, then I don't condone those actions. Stepping over a line.

Dick will still be highly regarded for what he has achieved and done for our club, but to air your dirty laundry to the media, well, that's a couple of notches you've pegged yourself down for me son.

Dick’s been in the game a very long time. He must have realised that he had gone as far as he could with the Lichties. He will always be a legend at Gayfield.

The cynic in me says that he had an eye on the East Fife job towards the end of his time with us. I was at TNS and Spartans . As previously observed, he could easily have walked away from those petty confrontations.

The comments on the social media post are infuriating - what an extremely bitter and delusional thing to say. Guys lost the plot 

I really cannot believe the downward trajectory of DC over the last 18 months - the guys spiralled out of control. I wouldn’t be too enamoured if I was an East Fife fan right now to be honest.

He has fell out with a load of players and alienated an entire fanbase who absolutely loved him - that’s some effort 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Genuinely disappointed in DC after that interview. I thought Arbroath would be the club he wouldn't go moaning to the media about.

As others have said, his downfall is his inability to take any responsibility for failure.

The interview aside, we should appreciate the achievement that DC brought about.

We were only saved from relegation to the Highland League because the Shire were worse than us and the following season champions followed by a further Lg 1 title 2 seasons later and the stint in the championship. This was down to DC and his recruitment and management. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same at East Fife. 

I agree the club should have invited him back so the supporters could thank him for those past achievements and to wish him well for the future. 

Shame it had to end so acrimoniously.

57 minutes ago, relichtie said:

The interview aside, we should appreciate the achievement that DC brought about.

We were only saved from relegation to the Highland League because the Shire were worse than us and the following season champions followed by a further Lg 1 title 2 seasons later and the stint in the championship. This was down to DC and his recruitment and management. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same at East Fife. 

I agree the club should have invited him back so the supporters could thank him for those past achievements and to wish him well for the future. 

Shame it had to end so acrimoniously.

At the time he joined us he had all his trusted guys playing in the leagues - really good players that he brought to the club and they all played a big part.

A few of them are still at the club just now and a whole lot older (Hammy and ToB) but I think by the time we won League 1 and a had a couple of seasons in the Championship he was really lucky that we had Bobby Linn here. We wouldn’t have got up or stayed up the first couple seasons without him 

I mean Dick seems to have fallen out with countless players in the last year and a half and he’s also extremely reluctant to give players we’ve signed from lower levels a chance.

I don’t think Dick knows Leagues 1 and 2 like he did before and I think in this new era of player the younger guys won’t take to him very well, like we’ve seen on a fair few occasions now.

I am really not sure he will be able to come close to recreating a L1 title challenge. Wouldn’t put it beyond him getting EF out of L2 but I think a lot of half decent managers would be able to go in and do that with them. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Im forever thankful for what Dick and his entire coaching staff done for us. That “helicopter Saturday” at Stirling is one of the greatest days Iv ever had following the Lichties. But Iv got zero respect for him now after that interview. He’s lied. Flat out lied about a support that gave him far more time than he should have ever been given. As expected it’s been jumped on by opposition supporters and the Dick Campbell fanatics. Iv seen plenty posts saying “name and shame” the supporter. You can’t name someone that Dick has created in his head to fit his narrative. 

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It was Chelsea fans m8.