The Arbroath Thread

Lyon had his best performance in a maroon shirt last night. Has absolutely no left foot but managed to make it work and he was desperately unlucky at the 2nd Raith goal as he made a great effort to block the shot after Ricky's stumble.

Bird frustrates me. There's been more than a few games where he hasn't looked arsed then you see what he can do when he's in the mood like last night. Robinson frustrates me for different reasons.

Chuffed for Stowe - I think the jump to Championship has been too much for him but it's not for a lack of trying. Hopefully this will boost his confidence for the run-in.

35 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

It couldn’t be going much worse 

10 minutes ago, Mon eh Ton said:

The Cinch giveth, the Cinch taketh.

It’s was always going to be down to us

11 minutes ago, ecto said:

It’s was always going to be down to us

True, but unless at least one team above us goes into free fall it’s already too late. It looked like Dunfermline but now they’re 5th. ☹️

Results today didn't help our course but thank f**k we did win last night or we'd be further behind.

Gaston and Little were showing their experience and commitment last night. Hopefully, whichever league we are in next season, they will still be part of the club. 

As much as Little had a good game, and he did, we were still vulnerable in the first half to quick balls catching our defensive line out of position.  My key issue with him for a couple of seasons now is him being caught up the field far too often.  This is only exacerbated with his declining pace.

Friday was good because he wasn't getting forward as much.  He stayed in defence and did defensive work.  If he can change his game to play like that all the time restyling himself as a defender who uses his brain rather than his pace, then he could still have another couple seasons in him.  What he gave us on Friday night was experience and leadership in our constantly changing defence.  Like everyone else on here, I have an enormous amount of goodwill towards Ricky Little!  However, I'm still not sure that he has it in his game to adapt properly.

If he stays on, then next season he desperately needs an uninterrupted pre-season so he can get up to speed, and I'd imagine he'd be second pick behind Steele in some games.

Watching game back again. A few observations. 

1- Billy Dodds is a tedious w****r 

2- Why did they have a halftime feature with the Campbells after Dicks bullshit comments a few weeks back?

3- Gaston’s save when turning it over the bar in the 1st half was one of his best Iv seen from him 

4- Teales head totally went after the 2nd goal. He needs to sort that out going forward

Edited by lichtie23

The win on Friday was more about the mind game than the physical performance. It was the attitude from Ricky, Gats and Mikey McKenna that picked us up and kept the youngsters going. If we’re playing League 1 next season then these are the guys you want at the core of your team.

6 hours ago, timlichtie said:

The win on Friday was more about the mind game than the physical performance. It was the attitude from Ricky, Gats and Mikey McKenna that picked us up and kept the youngsters going. If we’re playing League 1 next season then these are the guys you want at the core of your team.

When we got back into the game, it was almost vintage Ricky

Obviously the 21/22 season had some great memories in this Championship run but some of the best were from our first season including a fantastic defensive display against Utd at Tannadice. Hopefully we can repeat that next week. Also that 3 0 win against Inverness and that Scott Stewart goal! 

12 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Obviously the 21/22 season had some great memories in this Championship run but some of the best were from our first season including a fantastic defensive display against Utd at Tannadice. Hopefully we can repeat that next week. Also that 3 0 win against Inverness and that Scott Stewart goal! 

Some great memories of the last 5 seasons. Wighton at Tannadice for a 1-0, Hamilton on the telly v Killie, same result, and Dowds at Rugby Park are just three. And of course Noubs up front, and the common denominator, all loanees. It's a good way to get better players for a part time club. Great to hear James McFadden praising us so well on Friday and good to hear the Legend Bobby Linn saying we will stay up. 

Our goal difference is already down the pan so sod it and let’s have a go tomorrow and not sit in cause we’re not strong enough to keep them out that way. 
Keep the side that finished the Raith game. McIntosh and Stowe a presence out wide. McKenna and Slater in the middle and Reilly and Bird up top (seem to recall someone saying no one plays 2 up top the other week but look what happened when we did it 👀

If we get thrashed we get thrashed - there’s a way to lose though and it isn’t 11 behind the ball when there is absolutely nothing to lose.

On Stowe I’ve noticed McIntyre say quite a bit about him and how he’s trying to get him to score more goals and get more assists and get his crosses into the box early etc.

McIntyre will hopefully be able to help him improve in the areas he needs to because I think he’s got the raw attributes to be a really good player, maybe not right now in this league but if (and there’s a good chance) we drop into League 1 and he’s up against poorer defenders with less pace and physicality and add in the fact we should be one of the better teams in the league instead of being on the back foot or in a very toughly contested match most weeks I think he could be a player for us and in time could improve to the level required 

Bobby for example was absolutely immense but again he got better year on year and was with us when we were at a lower level and improved his game to become the player he ended up being 

Tough game today and can’t see us taking anything but the run of games after really do turn into cup finals especially the Gayfield ones 

18 hours ago, Fitbafan36 said:

Our goal difference is already down the pan so sod it and let’s have a go tomorrow and not sit in cause we’re not strong enough to keep them out that way.

If we're not strong enough to keep Utd out while sitting in and making them break us down (something we've not done properly in any of our games v Utd so far) then how are we going to keep them out without offering protection to the full backs and sitting deep!? If McIntyre were to make the same mistakes as against Queen's Park I'd be absolutely horrified to be honest. He has to have learnt from that....

Today worries me for a variety of reasons - I've no worries about the game, an absolute free hit with defeat expected, but I'm worried about the choices off the back of it. If we have learnt from the past few weeks, then clearly Bird starts up top today and we play relatively deep instead of the comical high line we previously tried. Being against Utd, assuming we lose, my worry is we then chop and change the shape/ starting 11 based on today and against Airdrie we're lining up with a weaker starting 11 than we should be putting on the park. Hopefully unfounded worries from myself, and hopefully we play our strongest team today, next week and for the rest of the campaign :)

Can anyone remember such an abject series of results in a season against one opponent? I can’t in 45+ years.

V United this season - P4 L4 F0 A17

Wouldn’t mind so much if United were destroying everyone else and romping the league but they’ve struggled against pretty much everyone else at points this season and lost 4 and drawn 7.

Even when we crossed paths with Rangers in 2013/14 we scored a few goals and ran them close in two of the games.

Didn’t expect much but still, it’s fucking embarrassing.