The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I really do not think being a manager in the lower leagues of Scottish Football requires too much for a manager to be successful, don’t think it’s Pep level of tactics but being a likeable c**t that players want to play for goes a very long way.

I’d have to disagree with this. We have a manager that most players like playing for. I personally knew one of our main players when we were in the Championship and he told me Stevie Farrell’s training sessions were the best he’s ever experienced. Farrell actually signs very decent players for our level because the players like him and he can sell the club but he’s tactically inept and we are absolutely pish under his management.

I don’t think you need to be Pep but our most successful manager in my lifetime was the best tactician. He was always considered a bit of an arsehole, didn’t have a great connection with the support (he famously refused to wave at fans when one of the notorious happy clapper losers asked him to at a meet the manager session) and he let his assistant manager be the good cop. 

Being able to set up a team, change a game with a plan B and signing a balanced squad is far more important than being a good guy that the players love IMO.

It looks like our fate is almost sealed now, there is nothing about the management and team that give me any hope we can string a few results together and thats hard to say as I normally always look for positives. The appointment of McIntyre hasnt worked at all, every time I hear him speak or watch him at the touchline I just don't see how he can motivate or inspire a team. We really needed someone better in. 

I think an announcement will have to be made either way. If he's definitely staying the board need to double down on that and let him have a decent change of signing a squad for next season rather than players thinking he may be gone. Although I think it might be time to part ways I do think he could possibly turn it around in League 1. Our current squad doesn't suit his style of play one bit but given a good window it could turn around. 

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d have to disagree with this. We have a manager that most players like playing for. I personally knew one of our main players when we were in the Championship and he told me Stevie Farrell’s training sessions were the best he’s ever experienced. Farrell actually signs very decent players for our level because the players like him and he can sell the club but he’s tactically inept and we are absolutely pish under his management.

I don’t think you need to be Pep but our most successful manager in my lifetime was the best tactician. He was always considered a bit of an arsehole, didn’t have a great connection with the support (he famously refused to wave at fans when one of the notorious happy clapper losers asked him to at a meet the manager session) and he let his assistant manager be the good cop. 

Being able to set up a team, change a game with a plan B and signing a balanced squad is far more important than being a good guy that the players love IMO.

I know what you mean but Gold is very into coaching etc. And again I wouldn’t have any high expectations on him. I would just like to have someone in that the fans all love and the players love so that the guys we want to stay do stay and don’t leave because they dislike the manager and so that everyone will be behind the guy and we should be able to get the support on side again. Not happening under McIntyre

I think with what we’ve got signed and with who we could potentially re sign from the players already at the club (if there was a manager the players were behind) we should at a minimum have a pretty comfortable season in L1 devoid of any real trouble. The budget should be a very good one too for a PT basis. 

A season to regroup is what we really need. I wouldn’t have any big expectations. 

If there was a standout candidate out there I would not be suggesting that but there is not 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

46 minutes ago, keptie said:

If McIntosh was the designated penalty taker McKenna wants his ass kicked  all the way round Gayfield, selfish as f**k. Put McIntosh under even more pressure on the pen, though tbf was a good save right at the post. That whole incident just sucked the life out the team and support.

McKenna absolutely not like that in the slightest, Facebook posts obviously shouldn’t have happened but for me I don’t care. If everyone cared as much as McKenna cared we wouldn’t have fell away with such a whimper.

The guys passionate about his football and plays like that, guy knows what it’s all about and we should be going out our way to rebuild the team and squad around the likes of him and Goldie.  

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

I’ve been a pretty vocal opponent of a youth setup in the past, but Montrose seem to bring through players who can contribute so why can’t we. Could even have a few young lads from further afield in scotland, and house them up here instead of hopeless punts from down south.

I wasn't too upset when the youth setup got wound down but I think things changed in the last 5-10 years in terms that there does seem to be the finances, which might not have been present before.
The change in rules for substitutes means there is an opportunity to get youngsters on the bench without taking experienced players out.

4 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Got enough to bin him and come take petrie without even making a dent in the account 😉

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

@ecto mentioned that it would only be two months wages we would have to pay if we got rid. Either way it’s not really important is it? If we want to get rid of him we obviously could. 

Arbroath fans seem to think they are absolutely swimming in money…

37 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Queen of the South? Finished fourth which got him the move to Ross County. 

Debatable. He definitely split folk among our fanbase. Some thought he did really well others thought he underachieved. I certainly wouldn't want him back. 

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Arbroath fans seem to think they are absolutely swimming in money…

I mean what? What club has kept a manager on, who is seriously under fire, purely because they’d have to pay them off? I mean if that’s the case then the club would be incredibly poorly run. Clubs sack managers all the fkn time. Without looking, you’d be lucky if half the clubs managers are still here from the start of the season over the 42 clubs in Scotland

And we don’t think anything or think we are swimming in money - any opinions would be based off of club accounts - which get published every year 👍🏻

37 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean what? What club has kept a manager on, who is seriously under fire, purely because they’d have to pay them off? I mean if that’s the case then the club would be incredibly poorly run. Clubs sack managers all the fkn time. Without looking, you’d be lucky if half the clubs managers are still here from the start of the season over the 42 clubs in Scotland

And we don’t think anything or think we are swimming in money - any opinions would be based off of club accounts - which get published every year 👍🏻

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Company accounts are available publicly.

Last accounts to may 22. Almost two years ago. 

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A think it was the tongue and cheek comment from another poster saying they would take SP no bother from us and still have spare cash.

Am not saying your skint far from it,you have been in the championship for a few years making good money and good on the club.But you are now going to be in L1 with less revenue,your overhaul of players this year is mad and I know you had injuries etc I get it but it's still some amount of players you have went through all on a decent wage a bet.

Back to SP am sure he is signed up till the summer 2025 Along with DC lads Ross and Iain....Theirs no danger any of them will be at Gayfield anytime soon especially what happened with DC near the end of his time at Arbroath.

I'm fascinated to where this is going.  This is like the guy who said we were deliberately forcing Dick to sign England based players so one of our board members could build an Inverkeilor housing scheme with the profits off short term lets.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So you think we cannot afford to sack McIntyre - based off of what?

People who think clubs can’t afford to sack managers have very little understanding on how contracts work. I’d imagine every manager in the league will have some sort of break clause that means clubs can part ways without paying up the rest of their contract. Given the position Arbroath were in when McIntyre was appointed you’d guess relegation will allow for a parting of the ways without any fee being due. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

People who think clubs can’t afford to sack managers have very little understanding on how contracts work. I’d imagine every manager in the league will have some sort of break clause that means clubs can part ways without paying up the rest of their contract. Given the position Arbroath were in when McIntyre was appointed you’d guess relegation will allow for a parting of the ways without any fee being due. 

This may possibly be the case.  If they do pull the pin it will be after 10th is confirmed and they can part way with only compensation due until the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You're way too rational and knowledgeable to be on here - away with you  !!!

I don't know if employment law has changed since I was working but in most cases then it was quite often written into the employment contract that the 1st 6 months was a trial period and both parties could terminate the contract without penalty. Don't know if this can still be applied.