The Arbroath Thread

Its a shame Gaston didn't get a chance for the clean sheet record, but he's been an absolutely tremendous signing.  I feel Gaston easily had another year or two in him, and we've already seen how much we miss him when he's not in the team.

I think McKenna is a massive loss - however I don’t think he’s a striker and he’s not going to play in the midfield 2. Gallagher as a more forward striker is probably a more suitable option - also has 4 years on Mikey. A club legend and would’ve preferred he stayed but Falkirk a great opportunity for him that he couldn’t really turn down.

I think Gaston would’ve been a safe option and a good keeper for next season - probably - but I do think he was starting to show signs where mistakes were creeping into his game and overall a new longer term option or a new keeper maybe be for the best

Ricky - convinced he could’ve done a job at L1 level however I am absolutely all for getting another centre half. It is probably the correct call, if he wasn’t a club legend I imagine that would probably be the consensus opinion 

It is just an end of an era and all 3 players leave as literal living legends and will be fondly remembered and also part of a team that will more than likely achieve more than any other part time team 

38 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Ricky little has been a tremendous player for you lot and will be a big miss for sure he would have strolled L1.

Michael McKenna (if he is away) along with Bobby Linn used to be right up for the derby over the years and used to always turn up.Kinda feel now Arbroath have lost their fear factor about them with most off the old guard leaving now.

A lot of familiar faces out the door but that is football and nothing lasts forever. Time for a new era.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Goldy the last of the old guard? 

Depends on your definition. I would include Hamilton and ToB in that list.

ETA also Stewart.

Edited by Tattie36

Shame about Gats moving on, seemed a consummate professional and a genuine good bloke.

Massive respect for him as a keeper, but more importantly, his ability to not turn to a block of ice in his short sleeves, when playing during the winter, especially at Gayfield Park. 

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

Ricky is a legend but he would not have strolled league 1 next year. He’s had a pretty rapid decline. 

Disagree with this as mo83 has said there is a MASSIVE difference between the Championship on League 1, and there is and if anybody does not believe that then they are blinkered.

Totally agree amongst others Ricky Little started to struggle up against the full time teams which is no surprise to anybody given his age etc but i am pretty sure with his 5 years experience up against full timers and still fit as a fiddle that Ricky could EASILY play in League 1 and would no doubt be one of the top defenders in that league.

A sad day for Arbroath Football Club to see 3 Red Lichtie Legends leave the club for various reasons and not getting the send off each of them deserves, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth that JMc never showed a bit of respect to at least start with Gatson and McKenna to join Ricky in their last games for the Red Lichties so that the AFC travelling fans could say thanks for the memories to 3 stalwarts of AFC, I would even go as far to say also start Jacobs and Lyon as well.

Ricky Little - Red Lichtie legend - I would like to know did he get offered a new deal with us? - I would guess DC will be on the phone to him but really hope he decides to wind down his career in the Ayrshire Juniors so he can spend more time with his family and enjoy his fitba with his mates like Bobby Linn did.

Derek Gatson - Red Lichtie Legend - I would like to know did he get offered a new deal with us? - I would guess DC will be on the phone to him but really hope he decides to wind down his career in the West Coast Juniors but there is no doubt he can easily still play in L1/L2 and we missed his experience in the last few games (and this is not having a go at Boruc).

Mikey McKenna - Red Lichtie Legend - Totally understand if the rumours are true if he goes to Falkirk on a 1 year deal still getting to be a part-time player so he can still concentrate on his Electrical Business, but i think this will be hard for him to get a regular starting place as the rest of his team mates will all be full time so i would guess it might be a bitty awkward if he starts before others but all the best to him. 

The end of an era but we still have some old school players left at the club like Hammy and Goldie and to a lesser extent TOB and Stewartie which has t be a good thing for us.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.   

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They could potentially go up into the premiership - they’ll all be playing for a place in that team - of course they’ve got something to play for 

Either way their team, and every other team, in this league is much superior to ours. 

Arbroath as a part time team have been punching well above our weight - and now we’ve got a poor team who’ve dealt with a ridiculous injury crisis and are now having a hard time of it nobody is taking it very well at all  

Sad day as many have said inevitable as some others have said….well to some extent.

what is hard to ignore is the almost deliberate stance adopted by Jum.

if as some keep saying the last games were dead rubbers why on earth at least not tip his hat to the club legends leaving the club…would have scored a few brownie points with the fans…and god does he need them as he cannot secure points anywhere else..!

#Mcintyreout

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Little, Gaston and McKenna away.

3 big players. 3 big sets of boots to fill.

Gutted that these 3 have left us. Understandable that Mikey wants to stay in the championship but Gsts and Ricky would have coped in Lg1 easily imo.

If I had to guess it’s more the fact that Ricky has now got a young family that he’s leaving the club

Someone had said to me he may actually end up playing junior regional football in the West of Scotland or whatever to save him trekking all over the country 3 times a week. Even a team that trained in Glasgow area and had 18 home matches in and around there would save him countless hours 

I think it made sense for footballing reasons - but even on a personal level it is probably the best for him as a guy. Wonder what he’ll do but the guy is a legend no matter what.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If I had to guess it’s more the fact that Ricky has now got a young family that he’s leaving the club

Someone had said to me he may actually end up playing junior regional football in the West of Scotland or whatever to save him trekking all over the country 3 times a week. Even a team that trained in Glasgow area and had 18 home matches in and around there would save him countless hours 

I think it made sense for footballing reasons - but even on a personal level it is probably the best for him as a guy. Wonder what he’ll do but the guy is a legend no matter what.

Yes. He’s been a brilliant servant to the club. Finishing his testimonial year is a great milestone. If we’d been staying in the Championship it would have been time to move on, and the relegation doesn’t really change that. Get him in the Hall of Fame asap. 

52 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes. He’s been a brilliant servant to the club. Finishing his testimonial year is a great milestone. If we’d been staying in the Championship it would have been time to move on, and the relegation doesn’t really change that. Get him in the Hall of Fame asap. 

On 03/05/2024 at 23:39, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I have really tried to stay off here until the pre-season but "jeezy-peeps" this is now embarrassing and the AFC Board will have a lot of hard thinking to do starting tonight.

I have always supported the current AFC Board and what they have done for the club over the last 6-7 years on and off the park has been superb and imo they have done about 80-90% of this correctly as there has been a few things i disagreed with but in the main they have done well, but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say "this decision we made has not worked out like we thought it would and we need a re-think", this happens in any walk of life and in any business so then we change things if they are not working out.

I was at the Q&A with JMc and i went into the meeting with me 75/25 against him but after hearing the AFC Board and JMc i came out the meeting 50/50 with the attitude to given him a chance into next season BUT not thinking the way the remaining games of this season would work out and no sign of passion or leadership from him on the sideline.

I will admit to being impressed with his re-signings and new signing but not getting Gats/Ricky/McKenna back onboard also is a bit disappointing (there maybe reasons from both sides for this) but every other season those players signed back on no problem as we had a close happy group of players.

Another thing which disappointed me tonight by JMc was "IF" this was to be Gats/McKenna/Jacobs/Lyon's final game for the Red Lichties in a game what a few folk are calling a "nothing" game then why not play them all from the start to applaud the travelling Red Lichtie fans as that would at least show a piece of "class" from the AFC Manager rather than playing (in the main) his poor signings and loan players that will not (well hopefully not) be here next season?   

I was really hoping we would finish the season on a high after coming out that Q&A Meeting with a bit of progress and fight and passion and this includes from the Manager but sadly i have not seen this.

I cannot wait to read Simon's take on this (even he would have to come up with a JFK or MLK type speech to convince me lol) and Simon is like Nimmy imo the TOP Red Lichtie fans and supporters i respect so i do always read his posts, some i agree with and some i disagree with which i am sure he does with mine.

Anyway a sad way to finish the season and some great loyal Red Lichtie players who never got the correct send off by us fans which is also sad.

BUT I will still be buying my AFC season ticket next season regardless who the Manager will be because i SUPPORT my home town club which is Arbroath Football Club who are bigger than any person.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.        

Never have I read so much shite in my life.