The Arbroath Thread

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Because the other teams had much higher cost bases than Arbroath so of course it’s an advantage. 

You clearly don’t understand how multi club forums work pal

Sooooooo

What you are saying is the higher a clibs base cost is the greater the percentage of Grant Money they should have recieved so no team would get an advantage over another.

And how would you gave implemented that and made sure clubs got the correct amounts and that no club inflated costs to get more of the pot?

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I can’t see the Arbroath fans taking finishing 6th this season very well when it happens. 

What are you on about? 

If you genuinely think this you are clueless 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

I can’t see the Arbroath fans taking finishing 6th this season very well when it happens. 

Anything less than 4th and we riot

13 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I'd take mid table.   Hoping for maybe 4th.    Because unlike many teams, I'm confident we'll spend within our means.

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Because the other teams had much higher cost bases than Arbroath so of course it’s an advantage. 

Isn't the fact that other teams have higher cost bases a disadvantage normally?  After all, higher cost base means they are paying higher wages and signing better players who are in full time training.  Or are they just "incredibly fortunate" to have full time teams?

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What are you on about? 

If you genuinely think this you are clueless 

Clueless to think they’ll finish 6th or clueless to think the fans wouldn’t be happy with that? 

9 hours ago, Aufc said:

We put up with this in the championship, supporters of the full time clubs, looking down their noses at us, for the only crime, of being part time, being pretty well run, now we’re no longer in the championship and still getting this nonsense,

also wasn’t our fault, that every other club chose to be full time

9 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Clueless to think they’ll finish 6th or clueless to think the fans wouldn’t be happy with that? 

That the fans wouldn’t be happy with it obviously, I mean I doubt anyone would be doing cartwheels but there wouldn’t be some horrendous reaction to it. You have seriously misread the room if you think that.

Go and check our results over the past 2 years. Anything other than complete misery where we win 4/5/6 games a season and score about 28 goals would be a welcome change. 

All absolutely miserable and scunnered with the football we definitely do not have any crazy high expectations 😂

10 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Isn't the fact that other teams have higher cost bases a disadvantage normally?  After all, higher cost base means they are paying higher wages and signing better players who are in full time training.  Or are they just "incredibly fortunate" to have full time teams?

Well no because their income should, in theory, be higher to match against the higher cost base. Obviously doesnt always work like that. Covid grants were rushed out and not means tested. So every club had reduced/no revenue but still had costs. So the £500k grant is obviously going to be more of an advantage for a part time team whose costs are less. 

Example using made up figures

Pre covid Club A (full time) - revenue of £800k and costs of £400k

Pre covid Club B (Part time) - revenue of £400k and costs of £150k

Both clubs get given a grant of £500k. Their revenue reduces to nil. Club A is left with £100k after costs and club B is left with £350k after costs. 

Do you not think there is a slight correlation between this and the fact that Arbroath then went onto finish 2nd in a team of full time teams? I am not taking away from the fact you did fantastic but surely you can see a link? Throw in the fact you then got money left in a will to develop the stadium. This then removed these costs from any capital budget and moved it into the playing budget. It also allowed you to grow the hospitality offering which then increased revenue further. All of the above culminated in creating a buzz about the club and allowed the club to capitalise very well on this buzz via sponsorship and increased support (which is a great thing by the way). They have done a great job of using this to then grow the club. I suspect they will be back in the championship next season. 

Arbroath are a very well run part time team but the above is all facts. Me suggesting that all of the above is rather fortunate is an opinion which can be disagreed with. I am not comparing Arbroath to Inverness either who have been badly run and seem a complete basket case. I just don't get Arbroath fans getting on their high horse about Inverness whilst ignoring the possibility that they have been pretty fortunate with a couple of instances. 

Did you not read?  Hospitality was developed prior to covid.  We told you this already. Yes, we made some renovations, but a lot of those were in areas like new roofs and turnstiles, dressing rooms etc.  That's where the money went.  

As for finishing second, you were already presented with the list of signings we made.  Perhaps you could identify where the money went?  We didnt pay loan wages.  We did not splurge that money, which is why we haven't done an ICT after relegation.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The Championship forum was much more fun, which is saying something 

It could have been worse, at least the Falkirk crowdwankers have left.