The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, relichtie said:

All this talk of waiting for possible loanees is pie in the sky imo. When we were in the championship we could look to get quality players in eg Noubs, J Hamilton, Wighton etc, but I can't see players of this quality dropping to League 1. The attraction for us was that we got a certain amount of TV coverage on Friday evenings, and that was a chance for our loanees to put themselves in the "shop window". That is definitely not the case in Lg 1. 

Far better to have had cover for our unfit strikers, than ask players like Dow to take on a completely alien role as a striker. Had we some sort of youth policy in place, then  someone from there could plug the gaps until the strikers were fit. An untried youth striker is surely a better option than a midfielder unused to the role.  

If you were at the AGM you know the exact reason we don’t have a youth team 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If you were at the AGM you know the exact reason we don’t have a youth team 

I was and I do know the reasons, but still think that we should be trying to do something. Our tie up with the Arbroath Vics might be a way to sign youth players and "farm" them out while remaining our players but able to be recalled. Just a suggestion.

15 minutes ago, relichtie said:

All this talk of waiting for possible loanees is pie in the sky imo. When we were in the championship we could look to get quality players in eg Noubs, J Hamilton, Wighton etc, but I can't see players of this quality dropping to League 1. The attraction for us was that we got a certain amount of TV coverage on Friday evenings, and that was a chance for our loanees to put themselves in the "shop window". That is definitely not the case in Lg 1. 

Far better to have had cover for our unfit strikers, than ask players like Dow to take on a completely alien role as a striker. Had we some sort of youth policy in place, then  someone from there could plug the gaps until the strikers were fit. An untried youth striker is surely a better option than a midfielder unused to the role.  

Said it already - 3 of the most exciting players in this division were loan players last year.

Also the quality loans you talk of, Wighton and Hamilton etc - they all progressed by going out on loan to lower divisions and working their way up.

Obviously the loans won’t be as good as the ones we got in the Championship but they don’t have to be because we are not in the Championship we are  in L1. 

Loan players have always been a big thing for PT teams in L1 and L2 - we have had so many very good loans whilst being in L1 and L2, why would you think it was pie in the sky?

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Loan players have always been a big thing for PT teams in L1 and L2 - we have had so many very good loans whilst being in L1 and L2, why would you think it was pie in the sky?

Just to check, would this be before or after the dawn of benches of 9 players and 5 subs?

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Said it already - 3 of the most exciting players in this division were loan players last year.

Also the quality loans you talk of, Wighton and Hamilton etc - they all progressed by going out on loan to lower divisions and working their way up.

Obviously the loans won’t be as good as the ones we got in the Championship but they don’t have to be because we are not in the Championship we are  in L1. 

Hope I'm wrong about loanees, but we need another 2 strikers in if we are to play with 2 up top and cover for injuries. With 18 players signed now it limits our chances unless we get players moved on to make some space. Pie in the sky might have been the wrong choice of words but Saturday was completely unacceptable 

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Just to check, would this be before or after the dawn of benches of 9 players and 5 subs?

Im pretty sure Kilmarnock, St Mirren and St Johnstone were allowed 9 players and 5 subs last season yes. 

I am pretty sure that if you looked across the board there will be plenty of loans to L1 and L2 clubs this season and there were also plenty last season. 

Honestly the hysterical meltdowns from folk on here is laughable.

1 bad/shite result and the doom merchants have it their heads that we will be ending this season having lost every game, scored no goals, conceded 500 goals and Jim McIntyre will still be in charge rebuilding in L2.

2 years of shite results have left most of you spiteful and seething. Unwilling to accept we are a team in transition and have no patience.

Edited by RedLichtie86

10 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

1 bad/shite result and the doom merchants have it there heads that we will be ending this season having lost every game, scored no goals, conceded 500 goals and Jim McIntyre still be in charge rebuilding in L2.

2 years of shite results have left most of you spiteful and seething. Unwilling to accept we are a team in transition and have no patience.

McIntyre is in a lose/lose situation until the real stuff starts. You can bet your last penny that had we pumped Annan Saturday, it would be “it’s just the league cup, means nothing”. IMO the group stage format is now tired and novelty left a long time ago. Bring back the days of one league cup and one challenge cup (before it became a shambles) and then straight into the league.

46 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

1 bad/shite result and the doom merchants have it there heads that we will be ending this season having lost every game, scored no goals, conceded 500 goals and Jim McIntyre still be in charge rebuilding in L2.

For your own sanity stay clear of the Facebook comments. Lots of opinions from out of town supporters or supporters who only started going to Gayfield in the tail end of the 2021/22. It genuinely seems like they want to see us lose so they can have something to vent about. 
Seen a few folk aggrieved that the club advertised season tickets today. I’d like to know when these folk think they should be advertised?

Just now, lichtie23 said:

For your own sanity stay clear of the Facebook comments. Lots of opinions from out of town supporters or supporters who only started going to Gayfield in the tail end of the 2021/22.

It’s seriously the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed 😂😂

2 hours ago, relichtie said:

If you've got money you can get quality loans for this league no problem. There's really no doubt about that. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Lots of opinions from out of town supporters

???

Think some out of town supporters, season ticket holders and others, who contribute fairly generously towards the club are entitled to an opinion.

If Hamilton is injured and Stewart is out - how will we line up with the 14 players we have got? 

McAdams

Bisland

Steele

ToB

Wilkie

Murray

Gold

Slater 

Callaghan 

Stowe

Dow

Subs:

Hemfrey

Walker

Spalding

Maybe?

Although I can see Spalding playing I have a feeling he will be the new MacKinnon.

Really doubt Gallagher and Reilly will be ready to play after McIntyre interview on Saturday night.

It will be a tough ask to win the game but we really should not be on the end of a drubbing.. there might not be any goals in that team but there’s enough experience and quality in that team to be competitive. 

11 hours ago, DUAFC said:

???

Think some out of town supporters, season ticket holders and others, who contribute fairly generously towards the club are entitled to an opinion.

Interestingly I noticed several of the long distance Lichties at the game on Saturday. Some travel far and have done for many years. Good to see these stalwarts not put off by recent performances.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If Hamilton is injured and Stewart is out - how will we line up with the 14 players we have got? 

McAdams

Bisland

Steele

ToB

Wilkie

Murray

Gold

Slater 

Callaghan 

Stowe

Dow

Subs:

Hemfrey

Walker

Spalding

Maybe?

Although I can see Spalding playing I have a feeling he will be the new MacKinnon.

Really doubt Gallagher and Reilly will be ready to play after McIntyre interview on Saturday night.

It will be a tough ask to win the game but we really should not be on the end of a drubbing.. there might not be any goals in that team but there’s enough experience and quality in that team to be competitive. 

Could see Walker getting the start ahead of island to give Leyton a rest. 

29 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Interestingly I noticed several of the long distance Lichties at the game on Saturday. Some travel far and have done for many years. Good to see these stalwarts not put off by recent performances.

What Iv said has been misinterpreted. Should have explained better. I meant individuals who live outside Arbroath and don’t support/have any affiliation with the club. Iv seen a few Facebook comments along the lines of “born in Arbroath but moved away when I was 6. Disgusted with the manager and the board” or comments from folk who spend every 2nd week at Celtic park or ibrox.