The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Disappointing but not unexpected. We aren’t suddenly going to start winning tough away league games. It’s likely to take a few games before the improved performances bare fruit I suppose.

A bit worrying to hear about missed sitters though. Time to start Gallagher?

I think the aim this season already is to steady the ship and stay in the league,

Nobody realistically are expecting miracles,

Hopefully some reinforcements can still be added

14 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I think the aim this season already is to steady the ship and stay in the league,

On 13/09/2024 at 08:48, SimonLichtie said:

The absolute last thing we needed was someone to come in and look to put his own 'stamp' on the current squad, resulting in a fairly large player turnover in the next few transfer windows. We have the basis of an excellent squad at L1 level, really 'all' that's needed is to get them playing football (which we've seen in the past few weeks) and a couple of additions in the right areas. I'm still confident in my pre-season prediction that we'll be top 4 :)

I 100% agree with Simon, its an excellent squad. One that was specifically built to challenge for the league title.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Just now, lichtiekev said:

Don't know about that, nearly everyone was saying anything other than top four was a sacking offence. Pretty depressing Saturday afternoons just now.

Our insistence on just punting the ball all the time combined with ALWAYS playing one up front and a lack of finishing ability is so frustrating. Aside from a spell in the first half we were very poor again today, similar type performance and game plan as we saw in the consistent defeats under Dick and then McIntyre. 

42 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

last league away win was 273 days ago vs ict 

If that's the case, that's 9 months in my  book....

Jeezo, could have conceived and brought a child into the world in that time   !!

55 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Need any kind of win to break this cycle. We’re now approaching SEVEN months without a league win, 3-2 v Raith on 1st March was the last one.

That is an astonishing stat.

I was there for that. I should try to make another one soon in the hope to end the hoodoo. 🙃

I was looking at making today's game but in the end, unfortunately I couldn't. Would've been a really long day, seeing now that we lost.

22 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I was there for that. I should try to make another one soon in the hope to end the hoodoo. 🙃

I was looking at making today's game but in the end, unfortunately I couldn't. Would've been a really long day, seeing now that we lost.

But if you had gone to the game we may have won.

52 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

If that's the case, that's 9 months in my  book....

Jeezo, could have conceived and brought a child into the world in that time   !!

That’s for an away game - our last league win was the home 3-2 win v Raith on 1 March when we came from 2-0 down to win.

That was frustrating :( A game where we could, and definitely should, have been ahead before we went behind for a second time. A real 50/50 of a game for me, a draw probably a fair result. I don't think Queens were better than us, but I don't think we were better than them.....

I thought most of the starting 11 put in fairly good performances, although Coulson struggled to have any real impact on the game this week - a real hot and cold player so far but we've all seen there's definitely something there and even if he's having a poor game he puts in an excellent set piece most of the time. However, we were undone by two relatively soft goals - the first one was a good strike from 20 yards but the amount of space he was given to shoot was a shambles. I'd have to see it again to know where the blame lies, but either a midfielder should've been far tighter to him or the midfield line was broken and Tam or Watson should've been pushing out to the player on the ball. The second goal, although take nothing away from a really well worked set piece by Queens, could've been cut out by being tighter and sharper to the initial short corner and then again in closing down Lyon who was 15 yards out and in space.

Again we created really good chances, and there's no doubting we should've had three goals in the first half and ultimately only have ourselves to blame that we don't. Scott Stewart missed an absolute sitter when he simply needed to pass the ball into the goal and Gavin Reilly missed a massive chance closer to half time which, while harder than Stewart's, he has to be looking to score from. However, the reality is if Gavin Reilly had all the stuff he does outside the box and was also able to finish with relative success he wouldn't be at us and would've made much more of his time at Hearts you'd expect. He absolutely made our goal with a superb flick into Stewart's path, but then he should've had at least one himself......

Up top I think we're stuck in a bit of a difficult one..... I think Gavin Reilly is best lone front man we have, and I think Calum Gallagher is the best goalscorer we have but he has always previously struggled as a lone front man. I think we're basically in a position where we need to try and fit both of them into the team, and I don't think we should change the system we're playing currently. Dowser has come back from injury really well - although his lack of pace is a frustration as shown in the one on one he missed (to not score any of these three massive chances we had was an absolute sin for us today), Innes Murray has looked really good prior to dropping out due to a wee niggle in recent weeks, and to play Reilly and Gallagher I think Gallagher can only play in the role in behind Reilly, which means both the aforementioned can't fit in the starting 11. It's harsh on both of them, but we need to get Gallagher in the team for a run of games and in a position where he can really thrive and, ultimately, score us some goals. I don't mention the right hand side as, obviously, Scott Stewart has to be continuing there after the last few weeks.

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If only someone had mentioned that our squad was light on strikers...

Light, thin, lean, delicate, flimsy - there are many adjectives to describe the depth of our strike force.

Not one of these could be used to describe the size of your arse, however.

I don’t think there’s anything to be gained from looking back over the last few months. We’re now a very different team and management. Yesterday we lost to a decent full time team who scored from well worked moves outside the box.

Our defence is settling well , it’s just the lack of finishing that’s our undoing. If Callum Gallagher isn’t fit to play a bigger part then we really have to find a loan striker to bolster the attack.