The Arbroath Thread

5 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Despite the poor performance yesterday it was good to see the team battling to the end and getting a point. Some strange decisions including dropping balde, the inclusion of hilson then taking stewart off at ht and also playing a centre midfielder (probably the new henderson/hancock) at left midfield when we have 2 sitting on the bench. A lot of us are like broken records on here but why is linn not playing? Made such a difference when he came on and i would like to see him stewart and mckenna behind adarkwa with balde and gold/hetherington as holding midfielders.

Linn has most likely been dropped as Dick does not like the fact the fans were very critical of him whenever he subbed him off and the fans love Linn. He has mentioned it often enough in his interviews that he was sick to the back teeth of hearing it.

It is as if he sees Linn as bigger than him and does not like it. Hence why he keeps making excuses to sub him such as getting he is old and cant last 90 mins. (When its clear he can most games) or signs players who are nowhere near suitable to play LW and starts them ahead of Linn (Henderson, Hancock, Etc)

Dick has always had the mindest it his way only. Plan B always looks to be pure panic and sometimes it pays off. But most often his decisions are baffling. Coupled with the fact he clearly has had favourite players (usually from his Forfar days) over the years that can do no wrong (Swankie, Hilson, Donnelly) yet he will seek out another player to blame for a poor result (Linn, Hester, Whatley) 

Dont expect anything to change over the next few games. Dick is set in his ways.

Bottom as things stand.....

Does anyone actually believe we can get enough points to stay in this league? 

I think we have a decent squad of players, just need them to be played in the best positions and stick to 4-5-1 and stop making so many changes every week 

You can certainly argue that we strengthened during the window (I’m still not convinced) but, unfortunately, it has coincided with Accies hitting the best form of anyone in the league. Add that to Cove looking like they’ve possibly stopped the rot and it looks more and more like we’re doomed.

The only way out of this is for a fundamental change in how we play. I don’t know how that can be achieved but it’s been proved week-in-week-out that it’s just not working. You can blame the players all you like but they don’t decide lineup, tactics, substitutions etc. The fact that few (if any) of the new players look any better than who they replaced (imo) says that it’s deeper than that.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

46 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

And back to 9th!

Sorry, doon again. The Accies certainly look odds on to overhaul Cove easily too, so it’s you and Cove to shoot it out. It’s amazing the fall from last year, but such is fitba. Certainly would prefer you pass Cove, but the playoffs this year won’t be a walk in the park either.

This is looking bleak for you guys. 
Would one hundred percent rather you in the league vs Hamilton or Cove but if you lose the next couple it’ll be all but a guarantee.

How it’s went all wrong from nearly winning the league (only a Kyle Lafferty singing stopping it) to bottom of the league very next season??

Signed an absolute raft of players too. Been to both our away games at Gayfield and to not use that wind to your advantage and make Gayfield a fortress is bizarre to me. Doesn’t help with so many new players.

Hand on heart, who genuinely believes we can get out of this mess? Not just wishful thinking and being positive… actually really thinks we’ll turn this round?

Accies are on fire and, if anything, will probably climb the table, ICT and Raith are realistically too far ahead to catch. So that probably leaves us having to overhaul Cove then win the playoff.

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

This is looking bleak for you guys. 
Would one hundred percent rather you in the league vs Hamilton or Cove but if you lose the next couple it’ll be all but a guarantee.

How it’s went all wrong from nearly winning the league (only a Kyle Lafferty singing stopping it) to bottom of the league very next season??

Signed an absolute raft of players too. Been to both our away games at Gayfield and to not use that wind to your advantage and make Gayfield a fortress is bizarre to me. Doesn’t help with so many new players.

It’s not the players.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

It’s not the players.

Players can’t be blameless when the club is bottom of the league. Most of them aren’t good enough for this league but the ones who’ve been at this level for the last few seasons also haven’t stepped up. 

Relegation is never down to just one or two individuals. It’s a series of mistakes by everyone at the club. 

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Hand on heart, who genuinely believes we can get out of this mess? Not just wishful thinking and being positive… actually really thinks we’ll turn this round?

Accies are on fire and, if anything, will probably climb the table, ICT and Raith are realistically too far ahead to catch. So that probably leaves us having to overhaul Cove then win the playoff.

It’s not unachievable, but the likely lessor of the Pars or Falkirk won’t be any mug in the playoffs. As we, and Falkirk, can tell you from bitter experience, what the Pars are doing is far from normal in League One. It’s an absolute b*****d of a division.

As noted above, despite hating Gayfield’s windy ways, we’d all much rather see you lot stay up than Cove or the Accies…or especially ICT…maybe there’s a wee bit of hope there if you can turn it around, as they seem to have imploded.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

It’s not unachievable, but the likely lessor of the Pars or Falkirk won’t be any mug in the playoffs. As we, and Falkirk, can tell you from bitter experience, what the Pars are doing is far from normal in League One. It’s an absolute b*****d of a division.

As noted above, despite hating Gayfield’s windy ways, we’d all much rather see you lot stay up than Cove or the Accies…or especially ICT…maybe there’s a wee bit of hope there if you can turn it around, as they seem to have imploded.

We’ve already been humiliated at home by Dunfermline in the challenge cup this season, ok it’s a diddy tournament but no one wants to lose 1-5 in any game.

Any team that has pace and scores goals… i.e. all of the playoff contenders in L1 are likely to have a field day against us.

33 points to play for.

Will probably need to hit the 40 point mark to have any hope of making 8th. Would need need Hamilton to implode at this rate.

Does anyone think we even have a chance of earning 18 points out of 33 with the way we are playing?

We lose this weekend we might aswell start preparing for League 1 as i dont see the players on management turning it around.

32 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

We definitely can and I honestly think we will 🇱🇻⚽🔥 but if we are being brutally honest it will only happen if we actually start games with our strongest possible 11 playing in their actual positions, We have the players and the support but I think it’s the formations, tactics and daft subs that have been costing us, Get back to 4-5-1  as this enables us to pack the midfield with our energy players and support both defence and then attack when we are in transition.

Another thing which is an absolute MUST starting Saturday is we need to get back to making Gayfield a fortress again as our home form is a massive part of the problem we are in this mess, Its soul destroying to have made record season ticket sales and then have us perform so poorly, I know suspensions and injuries haven’t been kind to us but we are now free of this minus Jacobs and should be looking to push on and fight our way to safety, No matter what happens we will 110% battle to the end and won’t give up as despite his failings this season it’s not in DC’s dna and he won’t allow that to happen. It’s going to go to the wire between us and Hamilton for 8th I feel with Cove getting relegated.

7 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

33 points to play for.

Will probably need to hit the 40 point mark to have any hope of making 8th. Would need need Hamilton to implode at this rate.

Does anyone think we even have a chance of earning 18 points out of 33 with the way we are playing?

We lose this weekend we might aswell start preparing for League 1 as i dont see the players on management turning it around.

I can’t see it. We’ve won 4 games all season yet we have to probably win 6 of the remaining 11… really?!?!?!

Saturday proved to me that we are where we are because we are the worst team in the division. That’s “team” not players.

I saw nothing to make me think we have improved. We play the same terrible football as we have all season, like a poundshop version of how we’ve been the last few years. Hoping and praying for this approach to suddenly pay dividends is insane. Fundamental change in how we approach and play games is needed (starting Saturday) or we’re down - 9th or 10th is immaterial really as we won’t win a playoff if we continue with this way of playing.

We will need to win a minimum of 6 games to have a chance of avoiding relegation - we have so far only won 4 all season.

The new signings need to step up their game, our long term players can’t pull us out of this mess on their own.

I am not confident we would win a relegation play off - so we need to dig deep and the players need to show their real character ( with our support and backing).

Momentum is not on our side - we are slipping into Div 1 - but we have a slim chance if we can start winning games.

The summer signings and the releasing of key players was a disaster - the evidence is in the league table.

We need to win on Sat and hope other teams can do us a favour.

Failure to win at least 6 of the remaining games will get us relegated.

We have the players to win games - let’s rally round and give them our support.