The Arbroath Thread

19 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

There's a man over there
On his chin there is hair
And he's climbing the stairway to Hampden!

Highlights from the East Fife replay now on Youtube, includes some good footage of the bearded army and some interviews around the town prior to the Rangers Quarter Final tie.

Remember being at the game with my friend who twice went to the toilet and on both occasions missed 2 of the Arbroath goals. 😂😂

51 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

There's a man over there

Highlights from the East Fife replay now on Youtube, includes some good footage of the bearded army and some interviews around the town prior to the Rangers Quarter Final tie.

Brilliant, what a game! 
We met Hazel Irvine in the sports shop and I had to pretend I was buying a shirt as they were doing a bit on how many had been sold in the lead up to the game! 
Didn’t do anything for my acting career! 

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

There's a man over there

Few of my dads mates kicking about in there 😂

Also proper good scenes behind the goals for all 3 second half goal’s especially the Tosh goal 

2 hours ago, b ross said:

Brilliant, what a game! 
We met Hazel Irvine in the sports shop and I had to pretend I was buying a shirt as they were doing a bit on how many had been sold in the lead up to the game! 
Didn’t do anything for my acting career! 

Ah, by the sounds of it you're the suave young chap who appears in tomorrows installment of YouTube footage.... :D Flawless acting in my opinion and once I've uploaded it I can see the acting career really taking off..... I hope you've still got that full head of hair and those classic 90s specs, or else all those talent agents are going to be very disappointed.... ;) :P 

Even over 30 years later I’m still gutted that I missed that East Fife game.

My brother’s flatmate’s broken down car meant we spent the evening in the pub in Aberdeen instead. Can’t remember how we found out the result but it probably involved calling my mum from the pub payphone and getting her to check the score on ceefax.

Young folk don’t realise how easy things are now. Used to be quite a pain to get full time scores if you weren’t in-front of the tv. As a kid it used to involve running from Gayfield to the DER tv shop in the high street where there was always a crowd watching the results come in on the tv left on in the window display. Later it was the tiny tv in Tutties, now it’s in your pocket 24/7.

Edited by Tattie36

22 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Ah, by the sounds of it you're the suave young chap who appears in tomorrows installment of YouTube footage.... :D Flawless acting in my opinion and once I've uploaded it I can see the acting career really taking off..... I hope you've still got that full head of hair and those classic 90s specs, or else all those talent agents are going to be very disappointed.... ;) :P 

Im sure we can rustle up a young lichtie that looks like him to play him in a reenactment and do a before and after

6 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

McGrain wasn’t a particularly successful manager but the boost in profile it gave the club was brilliant.

I recall his spell was pretty good. Arbroath Archive has him with a 50% win rate. The best rate of all our permanent managers (quick check just). 

I was living in Italy in 1993 and that February was unusually cold and wet. To find out the score I had to walk about half a mile in the pouring rain to a phone box on the deserted seafront. Huddled in the booth I pumped my few coins into the slot and called Dad.

Mum answered. Dad must known who was calling because I could hear him shout, "It's 3-1 !"; "Who to?"; "Us."; "Is it finished?"; "Ten minutes to go on Ceefax."And then my lire ran out.

It was a restless night not knowing the final result. The next morning I was down to the newspaper stand earlier than usual. A frantic search throught the pink pages of La Gazetta dello Sport and there it was - Coppa Scozzese East Fife 1, Arbroath 4. 

Edited by diego36

12 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Im sure we can rustle up a young lichtie that looks like him to play him in a reenactment and do a before and after

I’ll look out the specs! 🤓 

17 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Even over 30 years later I’m still gutted that I missed that East Fife game.

My brother’s flatmate’s broken down car meant we spent the evening in the pub in Aberdeen instead. Can’t remember how we found out the result but it probably involved calling my mum from the pub payphone and getting her to check the score on ceefax.

Young folk don’t realise how easy things are now. Used to be quite a pain to get full time scores if you weren’t in-front of the tv. As a kid it used to involve running from Gayfield to the DER tv shop in the high street where there was always a crowd watching the results come in on the tv left on in the window display. Later it was the tiny tv in Tutties, now it’s in your pocket 24/7.

The jingle on the DER advert on Granada telly gave you the impression they were happy for to visit the shop and start messing about with all the kit.  I miss those shop window days.  It was essential for any Merserail staff to have a transistor radio to update you on the scores.  However, new technology now means I spend part of my lunch break wondering what the Arbroath squad will be for next season.  What a time to be alive!

8 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

The jingle on the DER advert on Granada telly gave you the impression they were happy for to visit the shop and start messing about with all the kit.  I miss those shop window days.  It was essential for any Merserail staff to have a transistor radio to update you on the scores.  However, new technology now means I spend part of my lunch break wondering what the Arbroath squad will be for next season.  What a time to be alive!

There was a different type of excitement back then though.

I found out that Danny McGrain was our new manager while backpacking through Morocco. Phoned my mum from a payphone in Agadir just to say that I was fine and she told me just before the “pips”.

9 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

There was a different type of excitement back then though.

There certainly was.

I used to get excited waiting for the Sporting Post to arrive at the railway station on a Saturday night, to read a report about a match I'd watched that afternoon.......maybe that was just me 🤔

Another day, another Youtube video from the 90s!

This time we've got 4 minutes or build up pre Rangers match in March 1993 for you to enjoy! Some more interviews around the town and bearded army action!

7 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Another day, another Youtube video from the 90s!

This time we've got 4 minutes or build up pre Rangers match in March 1993 for you to enjoy! Some more interviews around the town and bearded army action!

Can’t believe they were filming in the shop just as a young local lad clearly really wanted to buy a top!!!

6 hours ago, DUAFC said:

There certainly was.

I used to get excited waiting for the Sporting Post to arrive at the railway station on a Saturday night, to read a report about a match I'd watched that afternoon.......maybe that was just me 🤔

Got my Sporting Post from Cuthills in Fisheracre. Van expected at 7pm. At one point if you hadn’t been at an away match it was the first chance to get the scorers names. Often Yule or Harley. 

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

There certainly was.

Whatever happened to the Sporting Post? It was great to get some reports from that afternoon games. But like all good things, they come to an end🥲