The Arbroath Thread

I was given some DVDs with AFC related material on them a few days ago and am just having a look through some of them now..... some absolutely wonderful stuff on there ('wonderful' to an extremely niche audience..... :lol: ).

I'm currently in the process of watching 20mins worth of highlights from the promotion winning game against Berwick in 2001, having earlier converted highlights of both games against East Fife in the Scottish Cup run under Danny McGrain........ that Craig Martin volley? That Paul Tosh run from the edge of his own box? Those hoards of maroon glad fans going absolutely wild behind the goal? It's all there :D

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I was given some DVDs with AFC related material on them a few days ago and am just having a look through some of them now..... some absolutely wonderful stuff on there ('wonderful' to an extremely niche audience..... :lol: ).

I'm currently in the process of watching 20mins worth of highlights from the promotion winning game against Berwick in 2001, having earlier converted highlights of both games against East Fife in the Scottish Cup run under Danny McGrain........ that Craig Martin volley? That Paul Tosh run from the edge of his own box? Those hoards of maroon glad fans going absolutely wild behind the goal? It's all there :D

Can’t wait to see that East Fife game! Great memories! 🇱🇻

Superb getting Hammy to stay for another season well done JMc and the AFC Board.

I disagree with some AFC fans on here who do not seem bothered if we lose our "old guard" i think the opposite and getting Scott Stewart/Hammy to join TOB and Goldie is a great move and i would welcome Gats/Ricky/McKenna to also get re-signed up.

Having that core of players who know the club inside out could only be a good thing to add to the decent squad we already have plus a great signing in striker Gallagher.

Remember we are DOWN a league playing against fellow part-time players so the "older" players who have maybe lost a yard in pace should now be on a level playing field after pitting their wits against full time players over the last 5 seasons.

C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

3 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Superb getting Hammy to stay for another season well done JMc and the AFC Board.

I disagree with some AFC fans on here who do not seem bothered if we lose our "old guard" i think the opposite and getting Scott Stewart/Hammy to join TOB and Goldie is a great move and i would welcome Gats/Ricky/McKenna to also get re-signed up.

Having that core of players who know the club inside out could only be a good thing to add to the decent squad we already have plus a great signing in striker Gallagher.

Remember we are DOWN a league playing against fellow part-time players so the "older" players who have maybe lost a yard in pace should now be on a level playing field after pitting their wits against full time players over the last 5 seasons.

C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

After double checking Hammy is not even that old. 32 next month. He could still be here for years.

I am not too sure over him at left back long term but like you say he will not be up against young Full Time flying machines this season and he will have had a full pre season to recover from his injury. 

I think he’s a cracking centre half though and would love to see him play in there with Tam. 

I am happily surprised by Hamilton signing for another season. An experienced player that has plenty to offer. May have lost a bit of pace but can certainly do a good job at LB next season.

And very capable dropping into CB when needed so that gives us options if an injury/suspension happens.

2 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Steele tob hammy hopefully Delaney would be a cracking back 4 for league 1

Maybe depends on what Delaney is doing outside of football just now. If he’s managed to get himself a decent job doing whatever and is settled in Scotland maybe we could pull that off. That seems too good to be true though. 

Although a lot of us (if not all of us) are unhappy at mcintyre staying on you have to say we’re starting to assemble a very decent squad even if it is just keeping our experienced players. Question marks over gaston, little, delaney, lyon, norey and mckenna but i would personally keep them if possible, the likes of norey and lyon might need to make way for another winger and striker presuming we’re sticking with a squad of around 20. Good to see we’re getting some business done early though.

McIntyre likes to play 4-4-2 and after the crazy injury crisis we faced this year to the defence.

His squad will most likely have at least -

2 GK

6 Defenders

4 CM's

3 Wingers

3 Strikers

2 other places in a 20 man squad would be players that are somewhat versatile to play in midfield or defence. 

9 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

There's 3 young lads on loan at Alloa (Wales, Steven & Sunderland) who've been doing really well this season. Jim and his backroom need to be sourcing some talents like them from Prem clubs too.

Jim had mentioned that he had already tried to get Wales in January but the player chose to stay at Alloa on loan. Gut feeling is Wales will end up at a championship team on loan for the first half of next season to aid his development to break into the first team at Killie. 

18 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Jim had mentioned that he had already tried to get Wales in January but the player chose to stay at Alloa on loan. Gut feeling is Wales will end up at a championship team on loan for the first half of next season to aid his development to break into the first team at Killie. 

Your assessment makes absolute sense for these youngsters taking the next step in progression. It's also good to know Jim has spotted these players. Hope he has some kind of good rapport with a couple of Prem clubs for possible loans.

5 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Your assessment makes absolute sense for these youngsters taking the next step in progression. It's also good to know Jim has spotted these players. Hope he has some kind of good rapport with a couple of Prem clubs for possible loans.

Also there have been discussions in the SPFL to expand and make loaning players easier and less punitive in terms of cost. Not sure when this may come in effect but hopefully by the summer. Could see more loan players becoming available next season.