The Arbroath Thread

Have we definitely signed Gold for next season? Don’t remember seeing an announcement. Like the leader he is was the first player over to the fans after the match and was doing the selfies and signings with the kids. Just had a horrible feeling that it was goodbye.

And if that’s Ricky’s last home game what a sad ending. Fans so fed up he didn’t get applauded off.

10 minutes ago, Godlovessmokedhaddock said:

Have we definitely signed Gold for next season? Don’t remember seeing an announcement. Like the leader he is was the first player over to the fans after the match and was doing the selfies and signings with the kids. Just had a horrible feeling that it was goodbye.

And if that’s Ricky’s last home game what a sad ending. Fans so fed up he didn’t get applauded off.

Signed an extension last season.

15 minutes ago, Godlovessmokedhaddock said:

This saddens me. It would have been great for the fans to have given the players a well deserved bit of appreciation for the last 5 seasons. Especially players like Gaston, Little, McKenna, ToB, Gold etc - guys who’ve given everything to the club and some of whom we’ll likely never see in maroon again.

No one expected this to last forever and a hard fought relegation or one with lots of positivity for the future wouldn’t have felt too bad.

Unfortunately the way that this season has gone has clouded everything and just left everyone with a feeling of “thank f**k this is (nearly) over”.

You don’t realise what you have until it’s gone.

Edited by Tattie36

18 minutes ago, Godlovessmokedhaddock said:

He’s signed till the end of 24/25 I believe. Signed an extension last season

27 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

2 seasons of absolute pish.

If it wasn't for last season’s player of the year Gatts this would have happened 12 months ago. Sorry but I'm really worried 

Love Gatts to bits, has he had a good season  - not even close by his own high standards. 

Can he do a job next season ?

100%

41 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

2 seasons of absolute pish.

If it wasn't for last season’s player of the year Gatts this would have happened 12 months ago. Sorry but I'm really worried 

Think you have to remember a really good Arbroath side has no right to survive and would find it difficult to stay in the Championship 

Never mind an average to poor one who’s had a humongous amount of long term injuries to key players over the course of the season 

There is no point worrying too much - I know it can feel like the walls are caving in around you after a result like todays but when think of it objectively and look at next seasons league and the players we’ve got signed up for next year I’m not really understanding what the point of being really worried is. 

If the only problem is the manager that can be changed 

Every other thing about the club looks really fucking rosey when put in perspective - already relegated long before today and been getting absolutely pumped rotten while putting in poor displays and 1300 still turned up (1200 home fans) to watch it at a Gayfield thats been upgraded and renovated looking absolutely superb. 

It’s the sad end to a superb period of the clubs history but football is always up and down for fans of 95 percent of clubs in Scotland 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If the only problem is the manager that can be changed 

We've sacked 2 managers in 24 years, plenty of our fans seem to have looked at this season and gone "yeah, he's done enough to get the summer", and now we're being told "stop complaining, he's going nowhere, so just accept it and get on board".

We're watching the club commit completely avoidable self harm, which some of the older amongst us have seen before, but we're apparently not supposed to mention it, because there's no point.

So can it be changed?  If McIntyre loses 4 of the first 5 league games next season, will the board sack him?  How about if he loses 8 of the first 10?  In both cases, I highly doubt it.  Our club is seriously sack averse.  Especially if they see the support happily clapping along to the shiny new signings. McIntyre will only go if he chooses to resign.

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We've sacked 2 managers in 24 years, plenty of our fans seem to have looked at this season and gone "yeah, he's done enough to get the summer", and now we're being told "stop complaining, he's going nowhere, so just accept it and get on board".

We're watching the club commit completely avoidable self harm, which some of the older amongst us have seen before, but we're apparently not supposed to mention it, because there's no point.

So can it be changed?  If McIntyre loses 4 of the first 5 league games next season, will the board sack him?  How about if he loses 8 of the first 10?  In both cases, I highly doubt it.  Our club is seriously sack averse.  Especially if they see the support happily clapping along to the shiny new signings. McIntyre will only go if he chooses to resign.

Just cannot take you seriously when you’re coming away with happy clapper comments and this whole shiny new signings shite

Also if you think plenty of people are happy in regards to McIntyre then you just quite clearly do not get it and there’s no point trying to make you get it 

Circles, round in… etc 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just cannot take you seriously when you’re coming away with happy clapper comments and this whole shiny new signings shite

Also if you think plenty of people are happy in regards to McIntyre then you just quite clearly do not get it and there’s no point trying to make you get it 

Circles, round in… etc 👍🏻

Do you think the board will sack him if he loses 4 of the first 5 games?

I can see why folk want the conversation to end cause it’s going round in circles and he’s been backed by the club. Thats a fair point of view to have but you can’t say that it’s pointless people chatting about the club letting McIntyre go. I know things were more positive after this meeting but I remember thinking Lumsden spoke ok at his pre season chat with fans and we all know what happened there so forgive me for it not making me feel any better. 

Fair play to Gold and Stewart leading some of the players to the fans at the end and to those players who acknowledged the home support. As mentioned above, I was also looking for our manager to show a bit of leadership and to acknowledge the fans the end and he was nowhere to be seen which to be honest I think is absolutely criminal. Show a bit of something that shows us you want to be here as well. I tell you it’s done nothing to help the case for him to stay

Scotty Stewart won fans player of the year. Completely deserved as only Goldie has really come close to him in terms of consistency this season. Those two have been 2 standouts in a season of mostly dross. Really really glad we’ve got them signed on for next season.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Every other thing about the club looks really fucking rosey when put in perspective - already relegated long before today and been getting absolutely pumped rotten while putting in poor displays and 1300 still turned up (1200 home fans) to watch it at a Gayfield thats been upgraded and renovated looking absolutely superb. 

Did they actually though? Because your official attendance for last Saturday's dead rubber was an obvious work of fiction. 

Agreed incidentally that Gayfield looks great with the investment put in over the past few years. I viewed Station Park as a benchmark for a well-kept, traditional 'wee' ground (as opposed to the three big terraces left in Scotland) but the investment at Arbroath is clear and should presumably see you through without too much further outlay. 

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You're just being ridiculous now. If we have a crap start to the season McIntyre will be punted. The notion that any manager here can stay as long as they want regardless of how they are doing is laughable tbh

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If McIntyre lost 8 out of his first 10 league games next season, you doubt a board who have been very open about going for promotion wouldn't sack him? :blink: That's quite simply you taking things to an extreme. In terms of the 'club being sack averse' I don't quite get this. Our board is a very different one from that we had in the 2000s, and the 2010s, the majority of the personnel have changed, the chairman has changed etc.

The 'happy clapping' stuff and 'shiny new signing' stuff I don't get either. I've not see anyone 'happy clapping' this season. We all, to a man, woman and child, agree it's been a shit season where absolutely nothing has gone right. In terms of the new signings - this is a bewildering comment to me. Are you saying that we cannot be happy about anything, any players re-signing, any new signings we bring in, because Jim McIntyre is the manager? Essentially we all have to be angry, unhappy and think everything is shite until he's gone?

Yesterday was embarrassing and unacceptable. A real shame for the players who may have had their last game at Gayfield.

There have been some really thoughtful comments on our current situation. Comments about the performances of Hylton and Gaston are pretty accurate. We saw some incredible match winning displays.

The root cause of our decline has been the recruitment. The new manager has made a really positive start to rectifying that. He needs to be allowed to compete his signings. I’m optimistic that we’ll then start the next season with a competitive squad. If that doesn’t translate into results on the pitch within weeks then JM will be gone one way or another. I’m in no doubt.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

Did they actually though? Because your official attendance for last Saturday's dead rubber was an obvious work of fiction. 

Agreed incidentally that Gayfield looks great with the investment put in over the past few years. I viewed Station Park as a benchmark for a well-kept, traditional 'wee' ground (as opposed to the three big terraces left in Scotland) but the investment at Arbroath is clear and should presumably see you through without too much further outlay. 

Yeah it was busy - also maybe looks that way from the away end cause it’s packed full of bairns - although I wasn’t at last weeks game so can’t comment on it 

I

1 hour ago, keptie said:

You're just being ridiculous now. If we have a crap start to the season McIntyre will be punted. The notion that any manager here can stay as long as they want regardless of how they are doing is laughable tbh

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

If McIntyre lost 8 out of his first 10 league games next season, you doubt a board who have been very open about going for promotion wouldn't sack him? :blink: That's quite simply you taking things to an extreme. In terms of the 'club being sack averse' I don't quite get this. Our board is a very different one from that we had in the 2000s, and the 2010s, the majority of the personnel have changed, the chairman has changed etc.

The 'happy clapping' stuff and 'shiny new signing' stuff I don't get either. I've not see anyone 'happy clapping' this season. We all, to a man, woman and child, agree it's been a shit season where absolutely nothing has gone right. In terms of the new signings - this is a bewildering comment to me. Are you saying that we cannot be happy about anything, any players re-signing, any new signings we bring in, because Jim McIntyre is the manager? Essentially we all have to be angry, unhappy and think everything is shite until he's gone?

Couldn’t have put it better 

7 hours ago, Fitbafan36 said:

I can see why folk want the conversation to end cause it’s going round in circles and he’s been backed by the club. Thats a fair point of view to have but you can’t say that it’s pointless people chatting about the club letting McIntyre go. I know things were more positive after this meeting but I remember thinking Lumsden spoke ok at his pre season chat with fans and we all know what happened there so forgive me for it not making me feel any better. 

Fair play to Gold and Stewart leading some of the players to the fans at the end and to those players who acknowledged the home support. As mentioned above, I was also looking for our manager to show a bit of leadership and to acknowledge the fans the end and he was nowhere to be seen which to be honest I think is absolutely criminal. Show a bit of something that shows us you want to be here as well. I tell you it’s done nothing to help the case for him to stay

Yeah you’re right. I just mean that you can already see that nobody will be able to discuss anything without some posters turning it into a McIntyre must go merry go round straight away - and all it’ll end up with is this place being a no go zone 

Happened with all the great news about Gallagher and the players signing on and it’s gonna happen all summer long 

It’s like some of us have transformed into some of the Dundee supporters that come in here every now and then  - there’ll be guys that post in this thread incessantly posting about McIntyre in another clubs thread when he moves on to his next job