The Arbroath Thread

33 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

And subsequently didn’t know what to do with him. 

This is probably right, after his first season, he wasn’t worth a new contract, but now club legend 

On 12/05/2023 at 16:37, 1320Lichtie said:

We are not really In a position to give youngsters a chance. I agree Shanks was a better option than Komolafe etc last year but we would’ve been in same position as we ended up in if Shanks had played there all year too. The loan makes sense.

Don't think Patterson good enough for this level either and tbh seems like he’s just happy playing for Bo’ness so good luck to him

Dylan Paterson stats..3 starts 2 goals..2 man of the match..scorer of goal to defeat a top flight team for first time in a long time.Apparently the boys had a tough few years privately so maybe get another crack at it down the line but to say he's not good enough is a bit harsh..all about opinions though..Arbroath are a great club btw and wish them all the best in the future.

Arbroath 22/23

So last season the league stats for the season were excellent reading. Not so much this year. The stand out stats are;

Equaled the least number of home wins ever with 2 (only 2002/03 equals it)

Least number of home goals ever with 11 - the next worst in a full season was 17 (twice). We scored 14 (26 games) and 16  (27 games) in the covid shortened seasons 

Most draws ever with 16

Worst ever goals scored in a full season with only 29 (apart from the covid seasons above when we scored 24 and 28 respectively) 

On the plus side we have only finished higher in the overall Scottish standings 16 times. (From 95 seasons) 

Our average finishing position in Scotland since we joined the leagues in 1921/22 has improved and is now under 27 at 26.96

Other notable stats from the season are;

In League games only. 

We had a creditable 9 clean sheets. 

We had a dreadful 15 games that we did not score. Equaling seasons 1923/24 (38 games), 1990/91 (39 games), 2002/03 (36 games). We have had 2 worse seasons in this regard - 1993/94 we failed to score in 16 games (39 games) and the worst is 1984/85 with 17 games we drew a blank (39 games) 

And we had a tedious six 0-0’s. 

We only scored 1 goal in the last 6 games. The header from ToB at Raith prevented our worst run of games without scoring. Without that goal we’d have failed to score in 6 matches. Our worst run is 5 league games, numerous times. 

Goalscorers for the season were 

IMG_1865.thumb.jpeg.b12613749e2f196512bb12a4587897a7.jpeg

However! We finished 8th and survived in the championship for another season and we are still the best part-time team in Scotland.  

A dire season in terms of goals and entertainment, really need to question why linn was given such little game time considering he’s been our best attacking threat and joint top scorer, dont blame him if he calls it a day or moves on, he still has a lot to offer someone.

Not saying he’s ready but shanks should never have been put out on loan either given our attacking options but that maybe easy to say in hindsight, adarkwa was a sick note and komolafe and lasagne were dire. 

Edited by afc_36_0

4 hours ago, DUAFC said:

I'd be fascinated to find out the last team to survive in the championship,  or any other Scottish league, with 34 points from 36 games 

Probably Montrose in L2 in 2014/15 - finished last with 33 points from 36 games, but beat Brora in playoff.

So do we set the bar low again for next season and hope to finish in 8th place, always hoping at least one other team will do a Cove Rangers collapse?

m4d's post makes poor reading, a bit scary in fact. Not only do we need a forward with an eye for goals, we could always use some creativity in midfield. Oh, we have a creative midfielder in Scott Allen, I think. Or at least we did for about, what, an hour or so during the whole season. If he is to play this season we would need to play to his strengths, but would those strengths fit in with our overall style of play? 

Seems to me that our coaches have the easiest job in football..."We'll play one man up front, the rest of you boot the ball up the park as far as you can and he can chase it, wherever it goes. Job done, has anyone put the kettle on?"

OK, that's a bit harsh. But we would need to change how we play to get the best of Scott Allen and if we don't then he might as well be released from his contract.

Depending on how the fixtures pan out I'd like to see Shanks get a few starts and stay at Gayfield if he does OK. If not let him go on loan again to a League 1 side.

1 hour ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

So do we set the bar low again for next season and hope to finish in 8th place, always hoping at least one other team will do a Cove Rangers collapse?

m4d's post makes poor reading, a bit scary in fact. Not only do we need a forward with an eye for goals, we could always use some creativity in midfield. Oh, we have a creative midfielder in Scott Allen, I think. Or at least we did for about, what, an hour or so during the whole season. If he is to play this season we would need to play to his strengths, but would those strengths fit in with our overall style of play? 

Seems to me that our coaches have the easiest job in football..."We'll play one man up front, the rest of you boot the ball up the park as far as you can and he can chase it, wherever it goes. Job done, has anyone put the kettle on?"

OK, that's a bit harsh. But we would need to change how we play to get the best of Scott Allen and if we don't then he might as well be released from his contract.

Depending on how the fixtures pan out I'd like to see Shanks get a few starts and stay at Gayfield if he does OK. If not let him go on loan again to a League 1 side.

8th is not setting the bar low. Staying in this league is the most important thing for us by far and anything after is a bonus. 

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

I'd be fascinated to find out the last team to survive in the championship,  or any other Scottish league, with 34 points from 36 games 

Hamilton had 33 points in 17/18 and 18/19 after 38 games in the Premier. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

8th is not setting the bar low. Staying in this league is the most important thing for us by far and anything after is a bonus. 

So aiming for 8th again would be setting the bar high? Do you have no ambition for the club to improve?With all the great work done by the board to improve the club it would be great if the same could be done on the pitch.

Last season we showed what can be achieved when we get things right on the playing side. This season we got things wrong on the playing side and hung onto 8th place by the skin of our teeth. We need to get things right this coming season and aim for better than that, not accept that we can do no better. 

I honestly feel that just looking to stay in the league by getting 8th place is not good enough.

We have been in the Championship for 4 seasons now and will be going into our 5th. 

We know there is not a great gap between players ability at this level. Either you are the best of the part time players or some of the worst of the full time players in this country.

And given the prizemoney we have earned over the past 4 seasons, we are in a great position to bring the best part time players to the club. Rather than the dozen or so jobbers we have been signing these past 2 seasons. Minimum aim should be 6th.

10 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

So aiming for 8th again would be setting the bar high? Do you have no ambition for the club to improve?With all the great work done by the board to improve the club it would be great if the same could be done on the pitch.

Last season we showed what can be achieved when we get things right on the playing side. This season we got things wrong on the playing side and hung onto 8th place by the skin of our teeth. We need to get things right this coming season and aim for better than that, not accept that we can do no better. 

I never said it would be setting the bar high either. I couldn’t care less about where any bars are set ffs 😂 

Just saying 8th should absolutely be the aim again and then anything after is a bonus, which is true for nearly every club that is in the division next year. 

Basically everyone has either flirted with relegation or been relegated themselves in recent history. Ourselves / Ayr / Morton / Partick / Raith / Dunfermline / Hamilton or Airdrie all have. Falkirk / Alloa / Cove and QoTS back to League 1 after being up here. 

I don’t mind if we end up 8th next season - so long as it’s achieved playing decent football without all the soul destroying dross we’ve just watched.

Ending up 8th on 42 points after a season of actually trying to win games and score goals (particularly at home) would be fine.

If it’s another season like the one just gone then it’ll be awful.

Also just to clarify, do not want anything like the season we just watched in terms of product on park it’s been eye bleeding. 

But staying in the division is absolutely the priority again like it will always be.

Absolutely hope we will have a better season and finish higher up the table but this is a tough league and looks like a harder one next year. 

Every club has a bit of stability about them at the moment, only Cove and Hamilton changed their managers last season.

In previous Championship seasons there has always been a club or clubs in a bit of a mess that’s helped make things a bit easier for us. 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I never said it would be setting the bar high either. I couldn’t care less about where any bars are set ffs 😂 

Just saying 8th should absolutely be the aim again and then anything after is a bonus, which is true for nearly every club that is in the division next year. 

Basically everyone has either flirted with relegation or been relegated themselves in recent history. Ourselves / Ayr / Morton / Partick / Raith / Dunfermline / Hamilton or Airdrie all have. Falkirk / Alloa / Cove and QoTS back to League 1 after being up here. 

I don't give a toss about other teams, whether they get promoted, relegated or go to the wall. All I want is for some improvement to make us an established, mid table Championship side. But I can't buy into this "let's aim for 3rd bottom of the league and maybe a little more" attitude before the start of a new season. Is that how the manager will motivate the team?

We have a core of players who have shown they are as good as many full time players at this level, we should build on that and aim for better.