The Arbroath Thread

We haven't even seen our team yet this season. No Slater, Mckenna, Gold, Hammy. 

We need to add a couple and these players are not good enough so as long as we don't actually sign them we will have learnt from last season. Can't believe the meltdowns over this game. 

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I cannot take you seriously and you genuinely depress me every time I come on here, every post you have made for about 18 months. You had us relegated after not winning must win matches about 6 times last year 

It’s a pre season friendly - today wasn’t even as serious as that with the way that game finished - the year we nearly won the league I watched Crossgates Thistle get the better of us in one 

If I don’t mute you I think you may possibly drain all the life out of me before a ball is kicked - last thing anyone needs after watching Jacobs play football is reading your posts 

Read the room. Look back at the last couple of pages and find anyone being more positive than me. You’re hardly a ray of sunshine yourself.

Yes I agree that I had us relegated last season and thought we lost or drew many “must win games”. Let’s be honest though, most seasons we would have been flat last or playoffs with our points total and performances. Only Cove shitting the bed with bringing back Hartley saved us.

I was delighted we stayed up and was more than happy to give Campbell another go… and still am. However we keep hearing that lessons were learned blah blah blah  etc, yet here we are, 3 weeks away from competitive games and we’re arguably in a worse… or certainly no better, position than this time last year yet no one, or more precisely me, is allowed a moan?

Edited by Tattie36

I thought that 18 for you guys today was promising from the trialists. Strong physically and made clever decisions apart from the awful free kick. The rest looked below well below the standards I expected. 

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Read the room. Look back at the last couple of pages and find anyone being more positive than me. You’re hardly a ray of sunshine yourself.

Yes I agree that I had us relegated last season and thought we lost or drew many “must win games”. Let’s be honest though, most seasons we would have been flat last or playoffs with our points total and performances. Only Cove shitting the bed with bringing back Hartley saved us.

I was delighted we stayed up and was more than happy to give Campbell another go… and still am. However we keep hearing that lessons were learned blah blah blah  etc, yet here we are, 3 weeks away from competitive games and we’re arguably in a worse… or certainly no better, position than this time last year yet no one, or more precisely me, is allowed a moan?

Read the room? Every single person I know who uses this forum (which is a decent amount) has said the same thing 

Nobody can be fkn bothered with the doomsday stuff - especially not this early. It’s embarrassing 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Read the room? Every single person I know who uses this forum (which is a decent amount) has said the same thing 

Nobody can be fkn bothered with the doomsday stuff - especially not this early. It’s embarrassing 

All I said was that all the trialists (for the past 2 games) were terrible, something that everyone seems to agree with. Also many have singled out Jacobs which I didn’t. I find it a bit worrying that 12-13 trialists have all looked a million miles away from good enough. Also no sign of a left back which is a position we’re desperate to fill and a little concerning, is it not?

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see anything I’ve said today that isn’t exactly what everyone else is saying.

On a positive note I like the look of Steele and McIntosh and Stowe showed some good play in the first half. Also looking forward to seeing Slater, and Adams looks ok as a backup keeper.

Ho hum.

Our squad at the moment is easily better than what we had 12 months ago - I posted the comparison a few pages back and I didn't see anyone disagree at the time...... 

Pre season friendlies, in which countless trialists and multiple players who previously played for us turned out for a 20 minute jog around, mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have no idea why anyone would give a flying f**k about the score in these games - it's a complete irrelevance. One of our best pre seasons in recent memory results wise was the one prior to us finishing 9th in L2.....

Personally I've seen more positives than negatives in the last two games, am very happy with the signings we've made, and the standard of trialist is clearly levels above previous years in my opinion - I hope we can add one or two of them to the squad if they have shown enough in training/ other bounce games.

Just now, Tattie36 said:

All I said was that all the trialists (for the past 2 games) were terrible, something that everyone seems to agree with. Also many have singled out Jacobs which I didn’t. I find it a bit worrying that 12-13 trialists have all looked a million miles away from good enough. Also no sign of a left back which is a position we’re desperate to fill and a little concerning, is it not?

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see anything I’ve said today that isn’t exactly what everyone else is saying.

On a positive note I like the look of Steele and McIntosh and Stowe showed some good play in the first half. Also looking forward to seeing Slater, and Adams looks ok as a backup keeper.

Ho hum.

That’s not what’s frustrating - the ‘we are doomed’ stuff. How can you possibly come away with that after watching how much of a farce that was today? We had Gavin Swankie playing infront of a back 3 by the end and a 4 foot 9 striker on the park. Atleast wait until the real stuff begins before you start saying that

27 minutes ago, Mo Wonderboy said:

I thought that 18 for you guys today was promising from the trialists. Strong physically and made clever decisions apart from the awful free kick. The rest looked below well below the standards I expected. 

He was absolutely atrocious, although he took one smashing corner considering the conditions 

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’s not what’s frustrating - the ‘we are doomed’ stuff. How can you possibly come away with that after watching how much of a farce that was today? We had Gavin Swankie playing infront of a back 3 by the end and a 4 foot 9 striker on the park. Atleast wait until the real stuff begins before you start saying that

I said we’re in a bad way… in relation to the trialists and squad size, and I’m a bit worried that a couple of them might be signed. Where is the “we are doomed” stuff you’re talking about?

Of course today was meaningless and the real stuff starts soon but this was a chance for these guys to show something. If I’m not mistaken, the big guy up front (15) played the first half last week and barely touched the ball in either game, when the two best from last week weren’t even there today. You must agree that most of the trialist were laughably bad, not even L2 standard.

As I already said, the actual signings are looking decent but we need 4 or 5 more and I hoped for something a bit special from these trialists.

Anyway, I don’t have to explain or justify my thoughts and opinions to you or anyone else, just as you are entitled to your views.

Edited by Tattie36

Yes the score isn't important at end of the day but I think people have the fear after last season,

The trialists are a mess and Jacobs was miles off it, as mentioned no sign of a LB and the lack of transfer activity is worrying, 

Just now, lichtiekev said:

Yes the score isn't important at end of the day but I think people have the fear after last season,

The trialists are a mess and Jacobs was miles off it, as mentioned no sign of a LB and the lack of transfer activity is worrying, 

How dare you!!!

1320Lichite and his mates will be talking about you and your negativity at their next Arbroath P&B Top Fans official meeting.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

How dare you!!!

1320Lichite and his mates will be talking about you and your negativity at their next Arbroath P&B Top Fans official meeting.

You told me to read the room… I’m telling you what the room thinks. 

Also a massive difference in the post you quoted and what you post and you cannot seem to see that. If you are that miserable and negative and defeatist in regards to anything else life must be a real chore

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You told me to read the room… I’m telling you what the room thinks. 

Also a massive difference in the post you quoted and what you post and you cannot seem to see that. If you are that miserable and negative and defeatist in regards to anything else life must be a real chore

I couldn’t give a f**k how you interpret my posts. I have said nothing different to what others have been saying - the trialists over both games were crap, we need to sign more players pronto and the lack of transfer activity is worrying, particularly because of what happened last season.

I also never criticised Jacobs, a player who is being ripped to shreds by many.

I have also been very positive about the new signings but, hey, as I said you’re opinion and views are equally as valid as anyones…. Including mine.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I couldn’t give a f**k how you interpret my posts. I have said nothing different to what others have been saying - the trialists over both games were crap, we need to sign more players pronto and the lack of transfer activity is worrying, particularly because of what happened last season.

I also never criticised Jacobs, a player who is being ripped to shreds by many.

I have also been very positive about the new signings but, hey, as I said you’re opinion and views are equally as valid as anyones…. Including mine.

No you absolutely have - you have written off the whole season after 7 days (probably less because you’d basically done it after the game last week) and 2 pre season friendlies where we’ve fielded 13 trialists and Gavin Swankie 😂 

Embarrassing 

I have to say, even I think its a bit early for all the doomsdaying, although I do have serious concerns.  I try to read absolutely nothing into friendlies.  Regarding Jacobs, he started the season miles off it last year, but got better week by week.  I think he's obviously just one of those players that needs time to get back up to speed.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No you absolutely have - you have written off the whole season after 7 days (probably less because you’d basically done it after the game last week) and 2 pre season friendlies where we’ve fielded 13 trialists and Gavin Swankie 😂 

Embarrassing 

Really?

Thinking the trialists aren’t good enough - they’re not.

Thinking we need to sign more players - we do.

We need a left back in particular - ditto.

The new signings look good - they do imo.

A little worried at the lack of movement on transfers - goes without saying.

Give me examples in the last 7 days where I’ve written off the season. Actually don’t bother, I’m done with this pish.

The 3 new signings all looked decent. Leighton Macintosh in particular looked at least as good as he did in his last spell with us. 
A difficult game for trialists to impress in with the windy conditions. On today’s showing none of them look remotely up to Championship standard. Sadly it looks like this experiment has yielded little and left us scrambling again for quality recruits before the season starts for real.

Positives from today were steele looked decent as did mcintosh when he came on and scott allan was actually putting trying! No12 trialist looked ok, made some decent runs but his touch and finishing were a bit off which can be forgiven at this stage of the season, the rest can enjoy sunday in their caravan and head back home.

If we sign man bun I think I may lose all enthusiasm for football and start watching cricket instead - cannot sign any of they trialists.

I would like to hear someone ask Pink how they all ended up wearing Arbroath tops and getting minutes for us. Nowhere near it