The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Notice they have encouraged fans to get there tickets soon to as Utd have almost sold there allocation and they will be having restrictions to stop Utd buying in home end, also mentions segregation needs to be determined? Surely they aren't considering giving Utd any more of the ground, don't know how much the BBC are taking but surely they can't take away space from the home end 

No sure the BBC have be there anyway, could do most of it from a studio, only commentator and his mate required to be at Gayfield 

We still need a left back but in my head I can’t help but feel this is a really decent side with good options to come off the bench, particularly Allan, Stowe and McIntosh - yes we might not win on Friday and we might even get beat the weekend after too but I have a small degree of cautious optimism based off this side ON PAPER

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Stewart (Hamilton when fit or new LB)

Balde 

McKenna

Slater 

Hylton

Dow

Bird

Bench - Adams, Jacobs, Gold, Turan, Norey, Allan, McIntosh, Stowe

That to me looks and in my head feels really decent - also all of our own players. 

Really choking for a months to 6 weeks worth of decent performances so that idea gets reinforced in my head. 

Think Dick, Ian and the recruitment team have done really well (have the right to take this back if things go Pete Tong because I have said the words on paper and cautiously optimistic) 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

45 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I know we’ve got the big game against United on Friday but it would be good to hear some news regarding the ticket allocation for QP at Lesser on the 12th

It’s Queen’s Park so don’t expect any news from us in a timely manner.

Away tickets for QOS fans were released in batches (by section) so suspect it will be the same for you guys. Not sure what the total will be as likely to be more demand for home tickets than for the league cup game. QOS got 230ish I think. 3 batches of 75-80.

I would get in quickly when they do go on sale.

Edited by Spider Rico

I agree that on paper, that squad looks promising, plenty of options in midfield and up front,  however, I think its going to take a while to get an optimum line up.  Even during the league cup games, we were playing different lineups and formations.  It is going to take time to get things right, so I think we need to be patient and not throw players on the scrapheap immediately.  I feel like we'll get there going forward though.  I'm much happier with our forward options than I was last season, and I think we genuinely have a nice mix of midfielders that can keep teams guessing.  Its not going to be a case of a first team and then much worse subs.  

My concern is naturally at the back.  We still have ToB, but I thought last season that we needed to start thinking about rotating Little in some games as he doesn't have quite the same pace, and I stick to that assessment.  But we can't rotate as we don't have enough bodies there.  I'd imagine that eventually Steele will play there...if he proves to be up to it.  Full backs are still a concern.  You can't fault Stewart's effort, but he always feels like a stop gap there, Steele is an untested centre back who has converted to full back, who knows how long it will take Hamilton to get up to speed....and thats it.  That's our entire defence.  Its giving me the absolute fear!

So going into the season proper, its the complete opposite to last season.  Excited at the potential of our team going forward, terrified about what we could witness at the back.  I genuinely don't know what team the management are going to pick, but unlike last season when it felt like we had a right team and then a whole bunch of terrible teams that should only have been picked by a senile drunk, I think we have a whole bunch of potential right teams!

20 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

It’s Queen’s Park so don’t expect any news from us in a timely manner.

Away tickets for QOS fans were released in batches (by section) so suspect it will be the same for you guys. Not sure what the total will be as likely to be more demand for home tickets than for the league cup game. QOS got 230ish I think. 3 batches of 75-80.

I would get in quickly when they do go on sale.

Will be interesting to see how our club distribute the tickets. Id imagine season ticket holders will get priority 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Will be interesting to see how our club distribute the tickets. Id imagine season ticket holders will get priority 

Will we get to distribute them or will we have to buy straight from QP like out away tickets are sold?

8 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

It looked like a 4-1-3-2 on Saturday, I would go with that again, McKenna has been way off the pace in pre season / cup games.

Gaston

Steele Little O'Brien Stewart

Slater

Hylton Balde Dow

McIntosh Bird

Insanity, this formation, more likely to be 4-2-3-1, surely 

13 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Main concern for Fri game's is not having a left back - United have fast pacy players who will turn Stewart inside out - I'd have Stewart in the starting 11 - but it's not working having him in defence.

Only benefit is the wee guy Cudjoe plays on right but is so left footed he seems to come inside all of the time and has no right foot if he gets down the side

34 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

It looked like a 4-1-3-2 on Saturday, I would go with that again, McKenna has been way off the pace in pre season / cup games.

Gaston

Slater

Hylton Balde Dow

McIntosh Bird

Would get run right through the middle of playing that in my opinion- wouldn’t be against going route 1 and hoping McIntosh and Bird cause enough chaos to allow people to get up and support but would be the bigger risk.

Plus United at home in the league live on TV infront of a bigger crowd - nobody I’d rather have in my team than McKenna he will be fired right up for it 

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Gaston

Slater

Hylton Balde Dow

McIntosh Bird

Didn’t think we looked this at all at the weekend, thought Balde and Slater were very much a pair, Hylton, MacIntosh, Dow a three behind Bird, but there was times where Bird, MacIntosh and Hylton, switched about