The Arbroath Thread

Happy with the choice in manager. His managerial record has had its ups and downs but plenty of experience and hopefully some good contacts.

Player recruitment will be key so hopefully he has some players in mind already and can work with the recruitment team to find others. Defence is the priority. 

No more manager favourites in the team now so players should be more focused in training and on the pitch in order to keep their place.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why? 

He’s managed Dundee, Ross County, Morton, Dunfermline and Cove 

Why would he not be able to get a job in the Championship? His only disastrous spell was at Dundee. All of his other jobs he’s around a 40-45 percent win record with a title win and a League Cup win included 

If not the arse end of the Championship then what level should he be managing at? 

He's been sacked from his last 3 jobs, and not lasted a year at his previous 2. Sure he's statically Dundee's worst manager. After his Cove stint he doesn't deserve another championship job.

How long is he going to live off a league cup win? Yogi won the Scottish with Inverness the year before Mcintyre won the league cup, should he be able to walk into any championship job because of that? Not for me.  

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

As I said in my last post, he wouldn’t have been my first choice but on reflection he may be just what we need. A young manager who played at a good level and who will have a lot of contacts in the game.

He’s actually got a decent enough track record at some relatively big clubs and the Cove situation last year has to be ignored as he was doing a pretty decent job. Cove fans just seemed to be in love with Hartley and no one else was good enough - that worked out well for them. McIntyre had them playing decent football and they would have stayed up comfortably imo if they’d kept him.

Don't expect swashbuckling, exciting football but I reckon he can put together a good, solid, hard to beat team, playing a rigid 442.

As I said already, possibly just what we need.

Loves a 4-4-2

Very interested to see how this pans out and what kind of business he does in the window. Got a feeling the latter could be positive.

He was achieving the goal set about for him for us so incredibly unfortunate to lose his job, pure nepotism. We never took to him as fans but on a limited budget and only 8 summer signings he did admirably. He himself only got a 1 year rolling contract and essentially wasn't backed fully in my opinion by the board.

The big concern from an Arbroath perspective/big hope as a fan of a relegation rival is the job McIntyre did taking over a Dundee team already in a relegation mess, and questions over whether he's got it in him to turn it round when he inherits a team in that situation. Even in the jobs he's done well in overall, getting teams out of a rut has generally been a weakness.

However he did a perfectly good job at Cove last season, with his sacking there being total madness which relegated them. They were staying up comfortably if they stuck with him, and he's done a good job with every club he's managed in this division. Aside from Cove he turned round Dunfermline from Stephen Kenny's mess and went on to win them the title, then took a newly promoted Queen of the South into the playoffs and had them sitting fourth again when he left for Ross County the following season.

While Petrie would have been more exciting, there aren't any other realistic appointments that would have been better on paper.

The more I think about it, the more I think he ticks so many boxes for us:

- Not a newbie, has managed bigger clubs before.

- Decent track record with several clubs.

- Managed in the championship with several clubs, including with Cove.

- Has managed part time before, so he will know what the limitations are with coaching part time players (i.e. less time for tactical discussions etc)

- Managed in the North East with Cove, so he will know the issues with attracting players outside the weegie belt.

- Has actually won cup games.

The more I think about it, the happier I get!

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

He's been sacked from his last 3 jobs, and not lasted a year at his previous 2. Sure he's statically Dundee's worst manager. After his Cove stint he doesn't deserve another championship job.

How long is he going to live off a league cup win? Yogi won the Scottish with Inverness the year before Mcintyre won the league cup, should he be able to walk into any championship job because of that? Not for me.  

He was doing pretty well at Cove 😂 only got punted because Hartley got sacked from Hartlepool and his father in law wanted him back at Cove - if Cove kept McIntyre we would be in League 1 right now? 

Horrific at Dundee yes but a win percentage of 40-45 everywhere else. 

Managers always leave clubs by being sacked. How often do managers leave when they’re doing well? Very rarely. Look at Dick.

Maybe he’s not for you but his CV and record has a job like this one all over it. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Almost all managers have been sacked from most their previous clubs.  He did perfectly well at Cove until he got Hartleyed.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He was doing pretty well at Cove 😂 only got punted because Hartley got sacked from Hartlepool and his father in law wanted him back at Cove - if Cove kept McIntyre we would be in League 1 right now? 

Horrific at Dundee yes but a win percentage of 40-45 everywhere else. 

Managers always leave clubs by being sacked. How often do managers leave when they’re doing well? Very rarely. Look at Dick.

Maybe he’s not for you but his CV and record has a job like this one all over it. 

Game of opinions isn't it, if McCabe left tomorrow and Jim was his replacement i'd be preparing for relegation. Would much rather take a punt on someone younger with fresh ideas. 442 hoof ball inbound for yous lot!

Just now, AJ77 said:

Game of opinions isn't it, if McCabe left tomorrow and Jim was his replacement i'd be preparing for relegation. Would much rather take a punt on someone younger with fresh ideas. 442 hoof ball inbound for yous lot!

😂

How pretentious. Grow up 

Worth remembering Dundee fans never wanted him and made it pretty obvious, along with the whole Billy Dodds situation there too.

His time there was destined to fail the moment it began.

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

You seem very upset by this appointment. Are you feeling ok?

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

As opposed to the silky passing football we’ve witnessed for the last 18 months?

He’s 51, Dick Campbell just turned 70 a I would suggest that’s what we would consider a “younger manager”.

Maybe not spectacular but i think mcintyre is a decent appointment, was pretty unlucky to loose his job at cove. Hopefully fans and get behind him and m he can kickstart the season but we’ll definitely need reinforcements in January.

P.S thank f**k its not dodds

A very ordinary appointment but given our predicament, it was around what I expected. It's his first time managing part time, I don't care what anyone says, its a massive difference. I am not too sure this type of appointment will be much of a change but good luck to the guy and welcome aboard Jim.  Noticed some saying he is a young manager, he is 51

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

You seem very upset by this appointment. Are you feeling ok?

Just now, Tattie36 said:

As opposed to the silky passing football we’ve witnessed for the last 18 months?

He’s 51, Dick Campbell just turned 70 a I would suggest that’s what we would consider a “younger manager”.

Some Airdrie fans seem to have turned into insufferable football snobs that think they play like prime Barcelona - not realising nobody else cares how many times they pass the ball in a game and that they are playing in the Scottish Championship

Think only Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry could rival some of them in the Scottish football snobbery stakes 

1 minute ago, Smokerson said:

A very ordinary appointment but given our predicament, it was around what I expected. It's his first time managing part time, I don't care what anyone says, its a massive difference. I am not too sure this type of appointment will be much of a change but good luck to the guy and welcome aboard Jim.  Noticed some saying he is a young manager, he is 51

Cove were part time last season 

3 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Maybe not spectacular but i think mcintyre is a decent appointment, was pretty unlucky to loose his job at cove. Hopefully fans and get behind him and m he can kickstart the season but we’ll definitely need reinforcements in January.

P.S thank f**k its not dodds

Dodds might come in as his Assistant.....