The Arbroath Thread

On 11/12/2023 at 16:26, TxRover said:

Show him on 5 Championship yellows, so that would be a no. He needs a sixth one in or before the 18th match, at which point he misses the first Championship match that occurs 14 or more days after the sixth yellow.

Edit: Found another source (Zen Archer), indeed shows six. He’ll miss the Pars match on 23 Dec (14 days after the sixth yellow), unless it gets moved to 22 Dec, then he’d miss the Rovers match on 30 Dec.

Correct, The SFA Extranet shows Tam O'Brien has picked up six cautions the last being last Saturday. He'll miss Saturday's trip to Inverness though as the ruling was changed this summer to be seven days after the sixth yellow rather than 14 days.

9 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

Well that’s Morton off the bottom , it’s all Arbroath deserve after employing that unless  git McIntyre , I seriously hope he’s sacked in time to save your place in the league , you have to learn from coves mistake last season and get rid asap 

McIntyre has been in charge for one single game so far and has inherited an absolute shambles. Arbroath are where they are due to the previous regime. Yes we may go down and his appointment may turn out to be a mistake but blaming him for where we are just now is wild.

Cove would have probably stayed up if they’d kept McIntyre, they were in a decent place when he was sacked. It was reappointing Hartley that fucked them.

44 minutes ago, Vernon gilmore said:

Well that’s Morton off the bottom , it’s all Arbroath deserve after employing that unless  git McIntyre , I seriously hope he’s sacked in time to save your place in the league , you have to learn from coves mistake last season and get rid asap 

Dundee fans are absolutely obsessed, genuinely never seen nothing like it - he was there about 5 year ago and you’re still banging on like this. So weird 

I have a feeling that’ll be us in bottom spot until May - we are in a right mess 

14 fit players for tomorrow McIntyre said - McKenna out until March - Ricky Little potentially out for the season 

Doomed - if McIntyre turns this around he’s worked a miracle 

17 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

👋 Wouldn’t be so sure 

No being funny but with the squad you have it is an absolute mystery. If we had your squad and McIntyre gaffer we would be good. 

You get the right manager in you’ll end up miles clear of us 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Correct, The SFA Extranet shows Tam O'Brien has picked up six cautions the last being last Saturday. He'll miss Saturday's trip to Inverness though as the ruling was changed this summer to be seven days after the sixth yellow rather than 14 days.

Damn the SFA…all the links go to the 2022/2023 Manual, but I finally found a way to get to the 2023/2024 Manual, and you are correct , sir! Thanks.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dundee fans are absolutely obsessed, genuinely never seen nothing like it - he was there about 5 year ago and you’re still banging on like this. So weird 

I have a feeling that’ll be us in bottom spot until May - we are in a right mess 

14 fit players for tomorrow McIntyre said - McKenna out until March - Ricky Little potentially out for the season 

Doomed - if McIntyre turns this around he’s worked a miracle 

That spell when we had for a flurry or wins just papered over the cracks, It was obvious to pretty much everyone the recruitment in the summer although was better than the previous year was still not good enough, The trialists plan was a mess again, Not signing any additional defensive cover that we needed is getting proven already, 

The League Cup campaign proved exactly what level our squad was at,

Arbroath wouldn't be where they are without Campbell and he will be forever a legend, but fully agree he has left us in a mess,

43 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So 14 fit players for tonight? And Tam suspended for Inverness? 

Oh what a time to be a Lichtie 😢

Better hope we dont have any more injuries or suspensions in the next couple of games. Otherwise we will struggle to even put out a starting XI.

12 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

McIntyre has been in charge for one single game so far and has inherited an absolute shambles. Arbroath are where they are due to the previous regime. Yes we may go down and his appointment may turn out to be a mistake but blaming him for where we are just now is wild.

Cove would have probably stayed up if they’d kept McIntyre, they were in a decent place when he was sacked. It was reappointing Hartley that fucked them.

Sorry but I agree with vernon, to say Cove would’ve stayed up is outrageous, they were in free fall and had no option but to sack McIntyre, when Dundee employed him I thought he might do okay because he’d won a cup , but winning a cup doesn’t make someone a brilliant manager Bobby Williamson  , Jim McIntyre, jimmy Calderwood , Ivan golac , John hughes, davie Whyte , Stubbs at hibs , and even Danny Lennon the guy Wright at st Johnstone have all Won cups , but the thing they all have in common is they are all shit managers , and all sacked a by their clubs a season after for being bottom of their leagues 

Edited by Wee jeemie

7 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Sorry but I agree with vernon, to say Cove would’ve stayed up is outrageous, they were in free fall and had no option but to sack McIntyre, when Dundee employed him I thought he might do okay because he’d won a cup , but winning a cup doesn’t make someone a brilliant manager Bobby Williamson  , Jim McIntyre, jimmy Calderwood , Ivan golac , John hughes, davie Whyte , Stubbs at hibs , and even Danny Lennon the guy Wright at st Johnstone have all Won cups , but the thing they all have in common is they are all shit managers , and all sacked a by their clubs a season after for being bottom of their leagues 

I don’t disagree with you on McIntyre, he could well turn out to be a terrible manager and a poor appointment. However, to blame him for our current predicament is ridiculous. He has inherited a completed shambles - an imbalanced squad lacking in quality and numbers - we have the very real prospect of having to bring on our sub goalie as an outfield player in the next couple of games. The previous regime and the board have to take full responsibility for this, yes McIntyre may compound it but he has to be given the opportunity to turn things round before we start doing a “Dundee” on him.

I don’t think it is outrageous to suggest Cove would have stayed up. Yes, their results were all over the place and they were in a very bad patch when he was punted. However it was once Hartley came back that they went into free fall. I saw Cove a few times last season and they were a far far better team pre Hartley.

17 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

You’re talking absolute shite

Both had 18 games 

McIntyre picked up 21 points 

Hartley picked up 10 points

In free fall before McIntyre left - what that actually means - the 5 games prior to him leaving = 

2 wins 

2 defeats 

1 draw

Free fall?

We’ve got enough problems and misery to contend with for just now so if the Dundee fans could all gtf with their weird obsessive behaviour over the guy it would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I wonder if Ali Adams can play CB? 

Don’t want to keep banging on about this or to say “I told you so” but I did highlight this as long ago as Aug/Sept and was castigated by several of our fans - as recently as the TNS game I was told the squad numbers “are fine”.

We had a similar situation this time last season when we couldn’t fill the bench v QP but the management/board learned sweet FA. You have to plan for and have enough players to cover for injuries and suspensions etc. It happens to EVERY single team, we’re not particularly unlucky. To have a squad of 19 in the modern game, at this level is ridiculous… with no youth or reserve squads to dip into in extremis. Makes the Balde situation even more ludicrous- who the f**k on the board signed off on that?

It’s not the 1980s anymore ffs.

34 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

McIntyre record at Cove was -

19 games 5 Wins 6 Draws 8 Losses

Scored 28. Conceded 34.

For a PT team and its first time in the Championship that is pretty good.

Hartley record at Cove was -

17 games 2 wins 4 draws 11 losses

Scored 10. Conceded 41

Night and day between McIntyre and Hartley's record at Cove last season.  If Cove had replicated the first half of the season they would have safely stayed up. THEY WERE IN FREE FALL AFTER HARTLEY TOOK OVER.

Arbroath record last season during the same periods of McIntyre and Hartley's tenure was -

Played 20. 3 wins 8 draws 9 losses

Scored 16 conceded 27

Played 16. 3 wins 8 draws 5 losses.

Scored 12 conceded 17

51 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

They were 10 points clear of Hamilton and 4 clear of Arbroath with a game in hand. There was nothing to suggest they were in any danger of ending up 10th if McIntyre stayed.

Several of the managers you list also weren't sacked by clubs they won cups with and/or weren't bottom of the league when they left their jobs. Of those, calling Tommy Wright a shit manager is a particularly wild take as well despite his failure at Kilmarnock. Going along with the argument of discounting cups to focus on the league, in seven seasons with St Johnstone he finished in the top six five times, with consistent European qualification.

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Doomed

We are in a yo-yo league, if we can start collecting points we will get off the bottom spot - it won't be easy, we have injuries, shortage of options and low confidence - but that is the manager's job to resolve these matters, that is why is was brought in - he would have said at the interview that he has the experience to keep us in the Championship - that is why he was appointed.

We will be in a dog fight with a number of teams - we are not doomed - the players need to do their part and the management need to set up their formations correctly.

The transfer window in January is never good, but a good manager should be able to identify what is required and address these issues ( he will have the support of the board).

Doomed - not yet.