The Arbroath Thread

28 games in Irish prem last season. 4 goals.

Those came in the 2nd half of the season when he signed for Drogheda.

Irish Prem isnt a strong league and division below is probably same as L2/LL here.

But hopefully higher standard get the best out of him.

Edited by RedLichtie86

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

Our current forwards are miles better than Hilson and Donnelly. Duds at this level. 

League table would suggest otherwise eh

Funny how little weasels like you hate on certain players, even after they are long gone. 

As I stated, neither Donnelly or Hilton played with an Arbroath team, rooted to the bottom of the table.

Jay Bird is a good player, as is Hylton both have played well. 

But joint second bottom goalscorers as a team in the league, and firmly planted at the bottom of the table, I can’t see how you can argue that Donnelly or Hilsonplayed in a team rooted to the bottom of the table. 

Your argument is a little flawed, you will be the same type of fan, who regularly complained that Scott Stewart was never a left back, its not like he asked to play there but he’s done well.

By the same way that 5ft 4 Dale Hilson was never a Lone striker going to hold the ball up and win Ariel duels.

The same way the midfielder or no 10 Donnelly who was repeatedly played as a target man when it wasn’t his game.

Next you will complain that an electrician is a shite plumber “ at this level “ 

There’s one dud, and its you

9 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

League table would suggest otherwise eh

Funny how little weasels like you hate on certain players, even after they are long gone. 

As I stated, neither Donnelly or Hilton played with an Arbroath team, rooted to the bottom of the table.

Jay Bird is a good player, as is Hylton both have played well. 

But joint second bottom goalscorers as a team in the league, and firmly planted at the bottom of the table, I can’t see how you can argue that Donnelly or Hilsonplayed in a team rooted to the bottom of the table. 

Your argument is a little flawed, you will be the same type of fan, who regularly complained that Scott Stewart was never a left back, its not like he asked to play there but he’s done well.

By the same way that 5ft 4 Dale Hilson was never a Lone striker going to hold the ball up and win Ariel duels.

The same way the midfielder or no 10 Donnelly who was repeatedly played as a target man when it wasn’t his game.

Next you will complain that an electrician is a shite plumber “ at this level “ 

There’s one dud, and its you

Little weasel?  Do we support the same team. 😂
ok. I won’t bite, but in L1 Hilson and Donnelly 1 goal and no assists between them this season. 

Edited by TheRoundO

Still over 2 weeks of the window to go. Can see a few more players coming in especially on loan (Reilly from Dundee perhaps) 

And players moving on.

Turan and Stowe most likely as neither seem likely to offer much to the team. But they may still see out the season with us so lets see what happens.

Keen to see Delaney. Whilst I am a huge fan of Hammy and respect he's been a mainstay in all our success, he's very much an old fashioned full back. Hopefully Delaney can offer a bit more from an attacking perspective, but I can't say I really remember him (good or bad) playing against us. 

5 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Keen to see Delaney. Whilst I am a huge fan of Hammy and respect he's been a mainstay in all our success, he's very much an old fashioned full back. Hopefully Delaney can offer a bit more from an attacking perspective, but I can't say I really remember him (good or bad) playing against us. 

I see this, but when fully fit and in a strong back 4 Hammy has scored and assisted well. 4 goals in each of the last 2 seasons. But will he be able to repeat that after the injury?  Still, a young pretender is very welcome. 

Just now, TheRoundO said:

I see this, but when fully fit and in a strong back 4 Hammy has scored and assisted well. 4 goals in each of the last 2 seasons. But will he be able to repeat that after the injury?  Still, a young pretender is very welcome. 

He’s here for 4/5 months. A bit like banks was. He will obviously be desperate to find full time football again 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

He’s here for 4/5 months. A bit like banks was. He will obviously be desperate to find full time football again 

Yeah, it’s our issue as a part time team with young talented players. 

45 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

28 games in Irish prem last season. 4 goals.

Those came in the 2nd half of the season when he signed for Drogheda.

Irish Prem isnt a strong league and division below is probably same as L2/LL here.

But hopefully higher standard get the best out of him.

I mean I am no expert but it seems like most Irish teams that enter the European competitions seem to do better than our teams outwith the Old Firm 

And any time they play each other the Irish team seems to win (off the top of my head) 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean I am no expert but it seems like most Irish teams that enter the European competitions seem to do better than our teams outwith the Old Firm 

And any time they play each other the Irish team seems to win (off the top of my head) 

I think the main reason for that is that the Irish Premiership doesn’t start until February so by the time European games come around, they’re in the middle of their season and are much more match fit than our woefully unprepared teams. Same as the Scandinavian leagues, gives them a big advantage imo. Put e.g. Sligo Rovers (who beat Motherwell last season) into our Premiership and they’d likely be pumped every week. The top 2 or 3 would probably hold their own but the rest would be miles off it.

50 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I think the main reason for that is that the Irish Premiership doesn’t start until February so by the time European games come around, they’re in the middle of their season and are much more match fit than our woefully unprepared teams. Same as the Scandinavian leagues, gives them a big advantage imo. Put e.g. Sligo Rovers (who beat Motherwell last season) into our Premiership and they’d likely be pumped every week. The top 2 or 3 would probably hold their own but the rest would be miles off it.

Aye I’m not saying its better or the Scottish Premiership is bad - just saying that it’s clearly a half decent level of football though and if you’re playing in that you should manage to play in the Scottish Championship. 

If ToB is back I’d like to see a back 4 of 

Stewart (yes I know we signed a RB but from reports of last week he maybe needs a bit of time to get up to speed)

ToB

Hammy (going forward I think he should be centre half)

Delaney

I think Robinson and MacKinnon both start on the bench. Robinson in particular could be important as when Turan replaces Jay Bird and has to do that shift we’re basically a man down as he’s not a nuisance and centre halves have an easy time against him. If the balls not to his feet it’s a waste of time. 

Logically hammy is the natural replacement for little in the present and future. He’ll slot into left side of the pair tob right both on stronger sides and both very understanding of each other. 

personally prefer an athletic full back getting up and down. No disrespect to hammy but he’s getting on and that injury possibly affected his speed very serious injury.