The Arbroath Thread

Gonna be pretty difficult to escape the drop now, another last minute sickener to add to our cursed season. Surprised no McIntosh in the team as we had nothing up top in the 1st half although we had a better 2nd half and good to see McKenna coming back. Might see Bird actually win a header or a hold onto the ball before the season ends though, something to look forward too.

Dow, Robinson, Walker all fucking hopeless. McIntosh sitting on the bench all game when it was crying out for him. We’re done, absolutely threw that game away. League 1 here we come.

21 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Bizarre. Thought dow was probably our best player and about the only player trying to play football.

Best player. f**k me that some take.

He cant shoot, cross, dribble or pass the ball. Just runs about and constantly drifts inside. At one point he ran all the way from RW to the LW when the ball was down the left. Left no one at RW and when play was looking to switch to the right he was next to Reilly on the LW.

Better off playing with 10 men.

It all started going wrong with the quasi-hybrid system that was phased in from January 2022 when the likes of Michael Bakare and Sam Ford arrived.

The only people who have benefitted are the Booth Brothers - getting top dollar from the club to rent out their properties to the players which has basically bankrolled the building project out by Tarriebank.

I think we all knew without a s#ite Cove or Hamilton this year was going to be tough, the injuries rather sealed it. Never give up but hell it'll need something special now 

Still only 9 points behind 5th. 36 points to play for. 

We still have a chance to stay up as this league is dog eat dog. Big game against QP on Tuesday. Be a great time to get 3 points and be only 6 points off 5th.

2 draws is not ideal but hopefully now we can start gaining momentum with McKenna and Little back and Reilly down the wing. 

12 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Still only 9 points behind 5th. 36 points to play for. 

We still have a chance to stay up as this league is dog eat dog. Big game against QP on Tuesday. Be a great time to get 3 points and be only 6 points off 5th.

2 draws is not ideal but hopefully now we can start gaining momentum with McKenna and Little back and Reilly down the wing. 

By my reckoning, we’ve taken 8 points out of the last 51 and haven’t looked like taking any more than that.

If we can’t beat Dunfermline and ICT then who can we beat? and let’s be brutally honest, we were lucky to take anything from those games. Inverness could have scored 3 or 4 easy today, we had 2 on target.

One good thing about today is that it’s shown we have to play Reilly from the start. We definitely improved when he came on and Bird and McKenna too.

The first half today was abject - a game we really had to win and we did f**k all, nothing - no energy, no effort, no urgency. Was like a pre season friendly.

I think at this point we're all going to start finger pointing, coming up with people to blame, or making up wild conspiracy theories about renting out flats, just because of the mood, but honestly, I don't think there's anything we could have done about it.  Its just a terrible season.

Everything just sems a little off and disappointing.  My stream didn't work today, which is a very rare occurrence, but I contacted the club, and nobody replied, which IS uncommon.  On the rare occasions I've had problems previously, the support has been pretty good.  It just feels like loads of small stuff at the club is not working, rather than any one big thing.  For example, we had that Ali Adams goal a few weeks back which gave everyone a bit of a boost, then he had to step in, started, and got a clean sheet.  After that?  Dropped from the squad.  Not even on the bench.  Again, not a big thing, but just another small thing.  

A baffling startling eleven. Can we please, please improve the communication between management and fans about the state of the squad. Like every Lichtie fan I know, I am totally fed up of the secrecy surrounding our players and their availability. No ToB, Bird or MacIntosh in the starting eleven for mystery reasons. Robinson has been hopeless. A left sided striker, he’s had gilt edged chances on his left foot in the last 2 games and totally fluffed them. Give me Turan any day.

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

By my reckoning, we’ve taken 8 points out of the last 51 and haven’t looked like taking any more than that.

If we can’t beat Dunfermline and ICT then who can we beat? and let’s be brutally honest, we were lucky to take anything from those games. Inverness could have scored 3 or 4 easy today, we had 2 on target.

One good thing about today is that it’s shown we have to play Reilly from the start. We definitely improved when he came on and Bird and McKenna too.

The first half today was abject - a game we really had to win and we did f**k all, nothing - no energy, no effort, no urgency. Was like a pre season friendly.

Aye but you have to remember since McIntyre has come in he has not had our best full strength squad to play with. Alot makeshift teams and bad luck.

We keep ourselves within touching distance then anything can happen.

A front 4 of Reilly, McKenna, Bird and Mcintosh is far stronger than a Turan, Dow, Robinson and Stowe front 4.

Add to that Little back, ToB hopefully back soon and possibly Delaney then we will be in a far better playing position than at any point in McIntyres tenure. 

14 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

A baffling startling eleven. Can we please, please improve the communication between management and fans about the state of the squad. Like every Lichtie fan I know, I am totally fed up of the secrecy surrounding our players and their availability. No ToB, Bird or MacIntosh in the starting eleven for mystery reasons. Robinson has been hopeless. A left sided striker, he’s had gilt edged chances on his left foot in the last 2 games and totally fluffed them. Give me Turan any day.

Are you surprised? The club is a closed shop. I am not renewing my season ticket next season. I urge many to do the same. Then maybe they club will realise the support are the blood of the club. 

12 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Aye but you have to remember since McIntyre has come in he has not had our best full strength squad to play with. Alot makeshift teams and bad luck.

We keep ourselves within touching distance then anything can happen.

A front 4 of Reilly, McKenna, Bird and Mcintosh is far stronger than a Turan, Dow, Robinson and Stowe front 4.

Add to that Little back, ToB hopefully back soon and possibly Delaney then we will be in a far better playing position than at any point in McIntyres tenure. 

Yeah I agree with all of this to an extent - the problem is there’s only 12 games left and we’re still a fair bit away from looking like winning games. If there were 20 games left then I’d feel fairly optimistic but there isn’t. We also have a massive negative goal difference which is a big worry too.

Another thing that struck me about today was how morgue like it was. Even if the bad old days of 300-400 crowds and scrabbling around at the very bottom of the very bottom, I don’t remember it being that bad. Just seems like a feeling of resignation.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, JobbieSandwich said:

It all started going wrong with the quasi-hybrid system that was phased in from January 2022 when the likes of Michael Bakare and Sam Ford arrived.

The only people who have benefitted are the Booth Brothers - getting top dollar from the club to rent out their properties to the players which has basically bankrolled the building project out by Tarriebank.

If this is indeed true the questions need to be asked. 

What to take from today? Not much of I’m honest. A game between 2 teams with very little quality. Reilly added a spark to our attacking threat which was anemic at best. He needs to start on Tuesday. Good to see Little and McKenna back. Could Boruc have done better for the equaliser? Didn’t look the most vicious of strikes. 

Does anyone know if there will be a match stream on Tuesday? 7pm finish means I won’t be able to get to the game. Thanks In advance for the information.