The Arbroath Thread

I would say that whilst Kane could probably playing at a better team than Roselea, he probably still isn't good enough to be a regular in the Arbroath first team. He definitely has the potential to be a good player at League 2 though, it just depends how long Arbroath feel they can wait for him to reach that level.

I would say that whilst Kane could probably playing at a better team than Roselea, he probably still isn't good enough to be a regular in the Arbroath first team. He definitely has the potential to be a good player at League 2 though, it just depends how long Arbroath feel they can wait for him to reach that level.

This is exactly it. He has something. If we keep him next season I'd like to see him loaned out to a Superleague team for 6 months. The vics and Roselea might be enjoyable for him but if he wants a test and to improve he needs to get to a better team.

Doris, a 100% fit Scott, Prunty, Skelly and Ferns would all be ahead of Kane Hester but imo Hester has proved he can score goals at this level, look at last seasons pre-season when he scored goals (albeit in friendly games) against decent opposition including Exeter City so the lad does have an eye to goal, imo he should have been recalled and put on the bench instead of signing the lad from Dumbarton.

I would keep Kane as he has something and give him a bit more game time but he is not ready yet to be a definite starter for us but getting more game time over a season and see how he does but i would hate to let him go and he went to another local club and started to bang in goals which we have previous in the past of doing.

From what I have seen from highlight footage, Hester looks like a striker who is a natural born finisher. Looks to have a bit of pace which can also cause defences problems. If a team can give him a run of games he can easily play at least league 2, could even end up moving to Montrose.

Regarding DC, I couldn't care less about poor decisions, substitutions or bad signings so long as we get promoted, wether automatic or play offs.

There was a conversation on the Cowdenbeath V Arbroath thread about home fans at Gayfield abusing Lichties players. I have an opinion on this, but thought that it would be more appropriate to share it on this thread.

i also believe that the home form has been affected by the attitude of some home fans, which creates a nervousness amongst some of the players. I have been amazed at how hostile the atmosphere can be at times, towards certain players specifically, but also towards the whole team/squad occasionally. This is not all the time clearly. In the games where we have gone ahead early, or been in control of a game, it has been generally positive. But those edgy, tense games where it has been 0-0 late into the second half, you can really feel a horrible nasty atmosphere building. Now this is not widespread across the ground, but there are quite a few vociferous, outspoken fans who seem to enjoy slagging off the team and individual players. Whilst it is normal and human nature to let out a collective disappointed sigh when a player misses a glorious chance, or misplaces a pass, it is something else to verbally abuse your own players from the kick off, or as soon as they come on. 

No players seem to be excluded from some form of vitriol, depending on how they are performing, but some just seem to be targets no matter what they do. Sukar for instance, just cannot seem to do any right in some fan's view, as he gets blasted for 90 minutes for not getting forward;getting too far forward; not passing to Linn or for playing the ball to Linn too often instead of crossing. Fearns is probably a child murderer and Tory Prime Minister all in one, for the hatred he seems to have generated as soon as he arrived. Coming off of the bench is like walking into the gladiators arena for him, when the home fans are booing him before he is on the pitch. Hamilton also has seemed to have wound some fans up so much that he cannot do right for doing wrong. Hodge has had it; Gomes has had it and so have Prunty & Scott.

On the Cowdenbeath thread it was stated that the moaners are older fans, but not all of them. There is a little group of older guys who I hear often slagging off players, usually without justification or rationale. But I do wonder if they are possibly pissed or overdoing their medication with some of the shite they shout. I have listened in disbelief when an Arbroath player has been fouled, the ref has given us a free kick and booked the other player, but these old timers still swear at the ref and tell him he doesn't know what he is doing!! One of this group on Saturday complained when Bobby Linn's name was read out before kick off and said he would be better spending his Saturday in the clothes shop.

But, there are also a few younger fans who are not averse to making their feelings known about certain players. Not so much the 'young boys' who go home and away, but there is one guy, who we will all have heard as he has such a loud voice, who is quite happy to tell Dick Campbell that' he has made a mistake by 'bringing on this c**t" before the player has even got onto the pitch. That guy thinks that he is quite funny and likes to perform for his little entourage, by swearing and shouting very loud, but I cannot for the life of me understand why he bothers going to games and claiming to be a supporter, when he seems to have such hatred for some Lichties players. In my view, if they are wearing an Arbroath shirt and playing for the club, they deserve our support whilst on the pitch. Slag them off on Pie and Bovril etc but not whilst they are trying to get 3 points for AFC.

A bit of a long-winded rant, but it is something that I have seen and been amazed by. In some other recent seasons I can understand the depression and frustrations, but after all this season has been pretty good. Three games to go, guaranteed Play Offs and a damn good chance of winning the league, but still some Lichties fans feel the need to verbally abuse their own players. Without the negative attitude of some home fans we could have won some some of the 0-0's or not given away stupid late goals to lose games, we could be quite a few points clear at the top of the league.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Three points tomorrow and a defeat for Forfar meaning we will have the opportunity to have the fate of the title in our own hands.

Edited by WT Figo

There was a conversation on the Cowdenbeath V Arbroath thread about home fans at Gayfield abusing Lichties players. I have an opinion on this, but thought that it would be more appropriate to share it on this thread.
i also believe that the home form has been affected by the attitude of some home fans, which creates a nervousness amongst some of the players. I have been amazed at how hostile the atmosphere can be at times, towards certain players specifically, but also towards the whole team/squad occasionally. This is not all the time clearly. In the games where we have gone ahead early, or been in control of a game, it has been generally positive. But those edgy, tense games where it has been 0-0 late into the second half, you can really feel a horrible nasty atmosphere building. Now this is not widespread across the ground, but there are quite a few vociferous, outspoken fans who seem to enjoy slagging off the team and individual players. Whilst it is normal and human nature to let out a collective disappointed sigh when a player misses a glorious chance, or misplaces a pass, it is something else to verbally abuse your own players from the kick off, or as soon as they come on. 
No players seem to be excluded from some form o

Very well said Figo.

Some 'supporters' would help the team more sitting at home.

52 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Very well said Figo.

Some 'supporters' would help the team more sitting at home.

Sorry this was not the full post. I accidentally posted before i had finished typing. I hope that you agree with me once you read the full post.

Sorry this was not the full post. I accidentally posted before i had finished typing. I hope that you agree with me once you read the full post.

Oyf

Some rant that.

Totally agree. It is a minority but you always hear the minority, they always shout louder.

Middle paragraphs a belter and totally agree, self proclaimed die hard supporters that won't even give someone they personally don't like the time of day. :lol:

Extremely well put Figo. Never mind the naysayers. We all feel we know what they should be doing but there the ones who have to do it and I for one couldn't. Would have loved to have had a try last week mind you and got a shot on goal! 9 points needed boys, c'mon the Lichties!

No players seem to be excluded from some form of vitriol, depending on how they are performing, but some just seem to be targets no matter what they do. Sukar for instance, just cannot seem to do any right in some fan's view, as he gets blasted for 90 minutes for not getting forward;getting too far forward; not passing to Linn or for playing the ball to Linn too often instead of crossing. Fearns is probably a child murderer and Tory Prime Minister all in one, for the hatred he seems to have generated as soon as he arrived. Coming off of the bench is like walking into the gladiators arena for him, when the home fans are booing him before he is on the pitch. Hamilton also has seemed to have wound some fans up so much that he cannot do right for doing wrong. Hodge has had it; Gomes has had it and so have Prunty & Scott.
On the Cowdenbeath thread it was stated that the moaners are older fans, but not all of them. There is a little group of older guys who I hear often slagging off players, usually without justification or rationale. But I do wonder if they are possibly pissed or overdoing their medication with some of the shite they shout. I have listened in disbelief when an Arbroath player has been fouled, the ref has given us a free kick and booked the other player, but these old timers still swear at the ref and tell him he doesn't know what he is doing!! One of this group on Saturday complained when Bobby Linn's name was read out before kick off and said he would be better spending his Saturday in the clothes shop.
But, there are also a few younger fans who are not averse to making their feelings known about certain players. Not so much the 'young boys' who go home and away, but there is one guy, who we will all have heard as he has such a loud voice, who is quite happy to tell Dick Campbell that' he has made a mistake by 'bringing on this c**t" before the player has even got onto the pitch. That guy thinks that he is quite funny and likes to perform for his little entourage, by swearing and shouting very loud, but I cannot for the life of me understand why he bothers going to games and claiming to be a supporter, when he seems to have such hatred for some Lichties players. In my view, if they are wearing an Arbroath shirt and playing for the club, they deserve our support whilst on the pitch. Slag them off on Pie and Bovril etc but not whilst they are trying to get 3 points for AFC.
A bit of a long-winded rant, but it is something that I have seen and been amazed by. In some other recent seasons I can understand the depression and frustrations, but after all this season has been pretty good. Three games to go, guaranteed Play Offs and a damn good chance of winning the league, but still some Lichties fans feel the need to verbally abuse their own players. Without the negative attitude of some home fans we could have won some some of the 0-0's or not given away stupid late goals to lose games, we could be quite a few points clear at the top of the league.
Anyway, onwards and upwards. Three points tomorrow and a defeat for Forfar meaning we will have the opportunity to have the fate of the title in our own hands.

Now I do agree with much of this and there is a lot of it, last Saturday was the first game I had seen since we beat Clyde and it is fair to say I noticed a difference, a nervousness in fact, not helped by the fact that everyone, including the players knew before ten past three that Forfar were losing, this brought an unnecessary urgency to our play, when really, cool heads and patience was required, from the crowd and players, now about the "moaners"' little unfair to suggest that only "old guys" were at it, now three games to go, win them all, win the league, simple

But, there are also a few younger fans who are not averse to making their feelings known about certain players. Not so much the 'young boys' who go home and away, but there is one guy, who we will all have heard as he has such a loud voice, who is quite happy to tell Dick Campbell that' he has made a mistake by 'bringing on this c**t" before the player has even got onto the pitch. That guy thinks that he is quite funny and likes to perform for his little entourage, by swearing and shouting very loud, but I cannot for the life of me understand why he bothers going to games and claiming to be a supporter, when he seems to have such hatred for some Lichties players. In my view, if they are wearing an Arbroath shirt and playing for the club, they deserve our support whilst on the pitch.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]