The Arbroath Thread

47 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

I rate hester, think he'd work well running off doris but i cant help but feel he's just not one of dick's player and will get released, probably sign for montrose, and score a barrel load

Agree 100%. He would surely have troubled City in the second half on Saturday. We desperately need some flair in attack. He was a great sub when played.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

I rate hester, think he'd work well running off doris but i cant help but feel he's just not one of dick's player and will get released, probably sign for montrose, and score a barrel load

Kane does score goals, of that there is no doubt, but he is raw as f**k, not sure he knows what he is going to do half the time, so no chance his teammates know what he is going to do, unpredictability has its charm and at time it's advantages, but this is a team game

I just dont think Hester is the answer at all, you could really make a case for him being on the bench but Ferns was suspended, would imagine Hodge called off pretty late and McCallum just seems a very strange signing, really cant see the point of him if he is isn't used.

A barrel load... he wouldn't get in the Montrose team either.

You getting the lad confused with someone else?

We don't really know what level or ability he has at the moment as we haven't seen him for almost the whole season. If he's scoring goals he has confidence and that can be worth a lot as a striker. I would give him a chance.

This, id rather see him given a chance in the last 3 games than instead of more proof prunty or scott not working alongside doris

Kane is very similiar to Allan Fleming in terms of what Dick has seen.

I have many criticisms of Dick, but I can understand why he shipped Kane out on loan to Roselea, as he was well down the pecking order for us and Dick gave him multiple chances to impress which he failed to take. Prior to Dick coming in they both impressed, but Dick can only go on what he has seen in the time they have played for us, and Flem started to make a few howlers unfortunately and Kane's goals dried up and he began to really struggle, the Cowden 0-0 at home a prime example of that. Therefore I understand the decision to ship him out to Roselea to give him some game time and build up some confidence.

What I don't understand is then bringing in a very similiar type of player to him in Donald McCallum, and giving him less game time than he gave Kane. I was fine with putting Kane out on loan to be replaced by a better option, but McCallum looks a very similiar option and that is no slur on him. I don't think I could actually fully comment on McCallum's ability as I've seen so little of him, and I've seen every minute he has played for us. Where the utter madness kicks in for me is bringing Kane back for a month or so from his spell at Roselea for him to sit on our bench for a few games around February time. We brought him back and he didn't play a single minute of football for us, and McCallum was ahead of him in the pecking order.

We sent Kane out on loan to get game time, he got game time and scored plenty of goals. We then brought him back for a month as our SIXTH choice striker and he sat on our bench for a month, restricting him from playing/ scoring/ building up confidence at Roselea. Now, when we had Eddie Ferns suspended and have been struggling to find the net and we could have used him, he is back at Roselea again?!?! Absolute madness. Either he is at Arbroath as an option we use now and again or he is at Roselea getting 90 minutes and banging them in. What is this half way house where we send him out for a while, build up his confidence then suck it back out of him by making him travel down to places like Annan knowing he's not getting on the park and he could be in Montrose scoring goals?

I don't think Kane is the answer, but on the surface he has been treated very poorly this calandar year.

11 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

This, id rather see him given a chance in the last 3 games than instead of more proof prunty or scott not working alongside doris

Prunts played well down at Annan, grabbed a goal and did what was asked of him. He was promptly dropped for the next 2 games which I found strange, especially considering he was dropped for Jimmy Scott who showed far less against Forfar than Prunts had the previously week and who is clearly struggling for fitness. For me, Jimmy Scott (and the team in general) work well playing the 4-3-2-1 we played for several weeks but we seem to have dropped that idea and gone back to our 4-4-2 which has seen us struggle and pick up 1 point in the last 2 games.

Jimmy Scott obviously knows where the goal is and is a good finisher, but played him in a 2 with Doris doesn't work in my opinion as it leaves Stevie with a lot of work to do.

11 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Prunts played well down at Annan, grabbed a goal and did what was asked of him. He was promptly dropped for the next 2 games which I found strange, especially considering he was dropped for Jimmy Scott who showed far less against Forfar than Prunts had the previously week and who is clearly struggling for fitness. For me, Jimmy Scott (and the team in general) work well playing the 4-3-2-1 we played for several weeks but we seem to have dropped that idea and gone back to our 4-4-2 which has seen us struggle and pick up 1 point in the last 2 games.

Jimmy Scott obviously knows where the goal is and is a good finisher, but played him in a 2 with Doris doesn't work in my opinion as it leaves Stevie with a lot of work to do.

100% agree, I think the only reason the 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 was abandoned was completely down to Sukar's poor form therefore meaning Bryan Hodge had to be moved to left back.

Its quite obvious that we have really struggled to find a partner for Doris all season so I would revert back to the formation this weekend, it worked well, we had stability and protection with Whatley and Hodge playing centrally, McCord had a licence to go and get on the ball and influence the game and Bobby and Jimmy were able to switch with eachother and get close to Doris.

6 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

100% agree, I think the only reason the 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 was abandoned was completely down to Sukar's poor form therefore meaning Bryan Hodge had to be moved to left back.

Its quite obvious that we have really struggled to find a partner for Doris all season so I would revert back to the formation this weekend, it worked well, we had stability and protection with Whatley and Hodge playing centrally, McCord had a licence to go and get on the ball and influence the game and Bobby and Jimmy were able to switch with eachother and get close to Doris.

That's a very good point regarding why it may have been abandoned. The replacement centrally would probably have been Malin for Hodge with Malin being a more attack minded player he would offer less protection.

Against Forfar they went with a midfield 3 to stop Pongo being able to play and it worked perfectly. Frustratingly we did nothing tactically to change this, and therefore our most creative player was completely nullified all game a side from dead ball situations. It even got to the stage where we were chasing a goal but still decided to take Pongo, our most creative player, off as he wasn't seeing enough of the ball. Personally I would have liked to see us change the formation and put 3 in the centre of the park to allow Pongo more space and play Forfar at their own game.

Think Kane wants to play which is understandable. It seems like he's being treated as an experiment by the club, keep him on the books, loan him out to where he wants to play and then have the option of bringing him in if he looks to have improved. Something in him as a player anyway.

2 hours ago, HeraldSchumacher said:

The 4-3-2-1 worked with Hodge at left back in Berwick.

Malin came in to midfield and strolled it.

Berwick are rotten though, agree that Malin could easily come into the 3 but I think you need 2 sitters/protecters if you go with the 3

Kane does score goals, of that there is no doubt, but he is raw as f**k, not sure he knows what he is going to do half the time, so no chance his teammates know what he is going to do, unpredictability has its charm and at time it's advantages, but this is a team game

Bit like Simon Murray when he came and look how that turned out.

we had a shit game on saturday against a team that have taken points of forfar etc this talk of hester is nonsense the guy is no way good enough to be in this starting team

Definitely deserves a chance on the bench. Fearns is terrible and McCallum is a waste of a signing

Montrose Roselea have scored something like 120 goals and lost 14. MONTROSE ROSELEA. A lower prem/North Division east region side, they've actually got worse from when they were at that level too ffs.

The team bottom of that league have a goal difference of -95 or something.

Ferns would be in triple figures of goals there ffs.

Nobody is putting down Kane here, just trying to calm down the ridiculous hype over him. It's bizarre.