The Arbroath Thread

6 hours ago, timlichtie said:
I think we would do fine at the higher level. Way back in the 60s we had a good go in division 1 and were well supported.

Any feedback from the friendly last night v the Arabs?

Correction - it wasn’t until the 1970s that we fared quite well in the old Division 1 (top tier). When we were promoted in 67-68, we only lasted one season up top before being relegated. We did much better next time we went up in 70-71 and competed for a good few seasons.

Harking back to an earlier issue, the first home games in a dispiriting season we won in 69(?) took us until January but owed something to tremendous vocal support from the terraces. OK bigger attendances but even after losing most games through the first half of the season, the home crowd stayed with them and roared on the team to that first victory against Morton then the following week against Dundee Utd.

Edited by farflung lichtie

21 hours ago, Big lichtie said:

out of curiosity your 10 ish would be simon

Roughly, I'd say the following:

• Darren Jamieson
  • Jason Thomson
  • Ricky Little
  • ToB
  • Hammy
  • Bobby Linn
  • Gavin Swankie
  • Mikey McKenna
  • Ryan Wallace
  • Greig Spence
  • Liam Donnelly

Obviously it's very difficult to say when it comes to Spence and Donnelly as both are new to the club and we've not seen much of them. However, they're obviously going to be here next season with the lengths of contract offered. Are they better options to keep than Steven Doris? I've no idea, but if we go up I feel if we're keeping Wallace, Spence and Donnelly we'd need to add another top part time striker to them. If we kept all 4 no way would at least 1 of them get near enough game time.

Also, out of the 11 above I wouldn't consider all of them starting 11 players. 

Darren Hill, Mark Whatley, David Gold, Omar Kadar, Danny Denholm, Steven Doris, Ryan McCord would be the players with question marks over them in my opinion. It's not that I'd be totally opposed to keeping any of them and would think we may keep Gold or Whatley and Omar or Denholm in instead of leaving ourselves needing 2/3 players in those positions. Infact I'd definitely keep one of Gold or Whatley thinking about it, due to versatility.

Certainly at a minimum if we go up I feel we'd need to add a defender who can cover left back and centre half, a central midfield, a winger and a striker. Ideally I'd have a better backup keeper, another winger and another central midfielder on top of that.

Roughly, I'd say the following:
  • Darren Jamieson
  • Jason Thomson
  • Ricky Little
  • ToB
  • Hammy
  • Bobby Linn
  • Gavin Swankie
  • Mikey McKenna
  • Ryan Wallace
  • Greig Spence
  • Liam Donnelly
Obviously it's very difficult to say when it comes to Spence and Donnelly as both are new to the club and we've not seen much of them. However, they're obviously going to be here next season with the lengths of contract offered. Are they better options to keep than Steven Doris? I've no idea, but if we go up I feel if we're keeping Wallace, Spence and Donnelly we'd need to add another top part time striker to them. If we kept all 4 no way would at least 1 of them get near enough game time.
Also, out of the 11 above I wouldn't consider all of them starting 11 players. 
Darren Hill, Mark Whatley, David Gold, Omar Kadar, Danny Denholm, Steven Doris, Ryan McCord would be the players with question marks over them in my opinion. It's not that I'd be totally opposed to keeping any of them and would think we may keep Gold or Whatley and Omar or Denholm in instead of leaving ourselves needing 2/3 players in those positions. Infact I'd definitely keep one of Gold or Whatley thinking about it, due to versatility.
Certainly at a minimum if we go up I feel we'd need to add a defender who can cover left back and centre half, a central midfield, a winger and a striker. Ideally I'd have a better backup keeper, another winger and another central midfielder on top of that.

Personally don’t think Hammy couldnt play that level he seems to be struggling anyway just now, I also think gold and whatley could possibly play in the championship given the chance

spence coudnt cut it at alloa at championship level . donnelly 4 goals in 18 starts at stranrare. wallace dont think will stay. but lets keep this discussion once we have won the league[emoji471]

Spence was behind Trouten and Zanatta hardly means he couldn't cut it. I don't know if Donnelly would suit it more or not I watch United quite a lot and I can't decide whether teams play more football or not in that league, I think it's not as kick and rush as what League One is, still though he's only 22 and looks like a project. Not sure why Wallace wouldn't stay?

But aye better waiting till this is actually a problem..