The Arbroath Thread

26 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

You’ve had a fantastic season and I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Gayfield earlier in the season. Obviously I’m going on Friday praying for a Killie win but if we end up losing out to the Lichties I couldn’t grudge you your success. How many do you think you will bring down? Surely a big response from the town? Hoping for a 10k attendance and I think we’ll just do enough to nick it.

Whilst I can’t quite agree with not grudging them success, it does have to be said that if we do get beat on Friday, which will mean we’ve not beaten Arbroath all season, then we don’t deserve to go up. 

Edited by Fide

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think today is easily our best performance of the calendar year - we were outstanding in the second half and although it took 15/ 20 minutes to get into the game, once we settled we really began to play football.

It honestly deflies belief in so many ways that here we are, in the middle of April, playing games at the top end of the Championship and comfortably winning them in front of nearly 2,500 people. We haven't had that many people in the home end at Gayfield for a standard league match for 40 odd years I don't think.... In the 90s and 00s there will have been entire seasons where there's no chance we had 2,500 different people come to Gayfield to support Arbroath FFS.

All I've wanted for months is for us to go into this Kilmarnock game with it being a competitive fixture and the league still up for grabs, and we've done that. We've managed to keep our magnificent start to the season going, add to it, adapt to losing key players, ride out a bad run of form and here we fucking are - 34 games in and we're still here, and still showing what we can do. It's absolutely incredible :)

This season we've all been extremely lucky to see some of the best players we'll ever see in an Arbroath strip. It's absolutely unquestionable that in my time supporting the club, Joel Nouble and Jack Hamilton are the two best forward players we've ever had. Noubs absolutely outstanding outside the box, and Hamilton absolutely outstanding inside it.

Spoken by a true and proper fan !

57 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

As a life lomg Cowden fan I know our clubs have had their ups and downs relationship wise at time

Oh I remember them well 😂

Donald Findlay acting as peace keeper / bouncer at Central Park when "emotions ran high" during play off final.  Think Robbie Raeside got a late winner. 

I think it's because of all this history with other clubs over the decades that most clubs can relate to what's happening at Gayfield. 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think today is easily our best performance of the calendar year - we were outstanding in the second half and although it took 15/ 20 minutes to get into the game, once we settled we really began to play football.

It honestly deflies belief in so many ways that here we are, in the middle of April, playing games at the top end of the Championship and comfortably winning them in front of nearly 2,500 people. We haven't had that many people in the home end at Gayfield for a standard league match for 40 odd years I don't think.... In the 90s and 00s there will have been entire seasons where there's no chance we had 2,500 different people come to Gayfield to support Arbroath FFS.

All I've wanted for months is for us to go into this Kilmarnock game with it being a competitive fixture and the league still up for grabs, and we've done that. We've managed to keep our magnificent start to the season going, add to it, adapt to losing key players, ride out a bad run of form and here we fucking are - 34 games in and we're still here, and still showing what we can do. It's absolutely incredible :)

This season we've all been extremely lucky to see some of the best players we'll ever see in an Arbroath strip. It's absolutely unquestionable that in my time supporting the club, Joel Nouble and Jack Hamilton are the two best forward players we've ever had. Noubs absolutely outstanding outside the box, and Hamilton absolutely outstanding inside it.

The crowd was likely smaller when we won league 2 (or the bottom league) against Montrose.... May be wrong! 

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

You’ve had a fantastic season and I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Gayfield earlier in the season. Obviously I’m going on Friday praying for a Killie win but if we end up losing out to the Lichties I couldn’t grudge you your success. How many do you think you will bring down? Surely a big response from the town? Hoping for a 10k attendance and I think we’ll just do enough to nick it.

It's difficult to gauge really - but one 'fair' way to do this would be too base it on previous away supports in the South-West of Scotland for midweek games, just like this one?

Our last three games that fit the criteria are Stranraer x2 and Ayr, with away supports of 4*, 16 and 22. I guess since Kilmarnock is closer to home, and it's April as opposed to the baltic February those three games were played in, we might be able to muster those supports combined for this one and even get close to the 50 mark? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In all seriousness - it genuinely is difficult to gauge! It could be anywhere between 500 and 1200 in our end I think.... the fact it's on TV takes some off, but I think we'll have several hundred interested onlookers in our end also to swell the numbers..... We had about 40 sold yesterday, and now around 400 by the looks of it :)

*May have been 5, I can't remember if Tim also made his way down that evening on top of the car load of us :lol: 

I laugh every time I hear how much the half time draw is for. 

It was just over a grand a couple of weeks back and £1200 today. 

I won it years back and got 40 quid !!

In fairness it was a half crown a ticket  !! 

Edited by DUAFC

41 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

I heard that today about £1200 and mentioned it to the wife. Is this a normal level or was it was elevated due to a big crowd?
I thought these things only ever returned 200 quid or something like that.

5 hours ago, Blue Oktober said:

As a life lomg Cowden fan I know our clubs have had their ups and downs relationship wise at time but I genuinely hoe you guts can see this through to the end it would be so deserved and real shake up for the Scotiish game success earned not bought.

Our recent competitive history has been great and it’s such a shame to see where Cowdenbeath are now. I, and I’m sure most others, will be cheering you on in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, DUAFC said:

it's been a lot higher of late 

1200 is a fair lift, especially when  you don’t expect it. Good stuff by Arbroath.
PS... I still can’t wish you luck next Friday though.

Edited by NFL12

What a weekend 

Next Friday night regardless of what happens everyone should be proud of their efforts.

Amazing position to be in and as a football fan it’s all you can ask for, days like the one we’ve got coming up 

Delighted

12 hours ago, DUAFC said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was a shilling a ticket and the winning number and prize money (7/6d or 10 bob) was on a chalk board that was carried round the pitch. Changed days!

(For a younger generation, a shilling would now be  5p, 7/6d approx 38p and 10 bob 50p)

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

9 minutes ago, arbroathbill said:

Is there any bus's being run from the club down to the game on Friday?

I could understand the club being hesitant given the lack of interest in the buses they had arranged the last few weeks but this weekend has changed the tide and it’s now back in our hands. I’d like to think the Club or Community trust should be looking into busses going down. 

28 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was a shilling a ticket and the winning number and prize money (7/6d or 10 bob) was on a chalk board that was carried round the pitch. Changed days!

(For a younger generation, a shilling would now be  5p, 7/6d approx 38p and 10 bob 50p)

Better explain chalk too!