All things Dundee FC

What's the ambition for Dundee in terms of league position? You sound like a bunch of drama Queens, everyone is shite. County, Caley, accies, well, Dundee. Partick and killie were shite for most of the season but have had a run of form. Not sure where Dundee fans expect to be in this league?

4th and to win the Scottish Cup.

Thank you.

What's the ambition for Dundee in terms of league position? You sound like a bunch of drama Queens, everyone is shite. County, Caley, accies, well, Dundee. Partick and killie were shite for most of the season but have had a run of form. Not sure where Dundee fans expect to be in this league?

Challenging for the top 6, considering we have one of the higher budgets in the league.

Certainly not only one point above the play-off spot at this stage.

The league position right now isn't an issue for me if we just stay up this season and I think a lot of people would accept that after losing what we did in the summer.

We consistently get pumped out of the cup by lower league teams and despite some decent signings, we seem to sign the exact same player over and over again and the result is that we have a style where we can never dominate games because we've not got any ball winners. The board have given the manager a good backing and he's not really progressed or addressed most of the issues we've had.

Archibald at Thistle is an example of a guy who has had the same sort of setbacks as Hartley but there has been a consistent refinement and notable improvement of weak positions.

I don't overly dislike Hartley and think some of the consensus is a bit unfair on certain issues but I think we might need a period of renewal.

1 hour ago, Stevieda said:

Expectations are top 6 (5th biggest budget), a steady improvement in cup runs and the youth set up to continually improve as each season goes by.  

Reality is we're getting worse with each transfer window, cup runs are non existent and as regards the youths we never hear enough about how they're getting on to gauge, although they never seem to win anything either or have many called up for youth internationals. 

Staying in in the league is the priority though. This ultra negative tactics we now have isn't acceptable though. 

Edited to say the fact he has yet to sign a dominant centre half and a 6ft plus ball winning central midfielder after 3 and a half years in charge is pissing me off. Also we now have no decent players to play out wide in their natural positions. Absolute shit season. 

Edited by Yenitit

My personal vote would be bringing back Jim Duffy (yes again), although i'm not sure how long his contract with Morton is, he's a good manager and was treated harshly when we were relegated in the admin years despite it not being his fault we were relegated he was sacked four games into the season with us top of the league, despite being given the boards blessing at the start of the season. 

No way. Don't get me wrong. I liked Duffy in his first two spells at Dens. We were great to watch in the mid 90s despite constant financial constraints and that fucking idiot Ron Dixon, and I didn't blame him for going to Hibs.

However the season we were relegated was as bad as the current shambles. Duffy and his squad utterly shat the bed in the last few games. He displayed the same tactical inflexibility as Hartley and had an awful record with signings.

However he didn't deserve to binned early the following season. IIRC we were top, having beaten St Mirren and the fucking idiot Marrs panicked after a cup defeat to Stranraer and made possibly our worst appointment ever.

But now? No. Appointing him on the back of a first good season anywhere for about 12 years is Chisholm-dodds levels of madness.

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

But now? No. Appointing him on the back of a first good season anywhere for about 12 years is Chisholm-dodds levels of madness.

Sums up how I feel. I wouldn't rule him or anybody else out completely because of his previous involvement alone but although he's been doing well, his record isn't entirely unexpected at Morton. His first season saw them promoted as one of the only full time teams (Dunfermline the other but they were nearer relegation and a total shambles) which was expected and he's had a mid table finish last season and looks to repeat the feat this year but into the play offs. If you look at Morton, they are kind of a mid table second tier side in stature. It's good going this year but I'd need to see a lot more to be convinced that he's eliminated all of his weaknesses at the top flight.

It's maybe unfair on him but it could work against him as I don't think he'd maybe get a fair fresh crack from the supporters. I think pressure would pile much faster with the support and a board may go with fans feeling and punt him much quicker.

We'd get a lot of applicants and I'd be keen to interview widely and give some more left field names a consideration. Risk is always going to be involved but it may be that somebody very interesting pops up who interviews really well. Tommy Wright, although stepping up from number 2, had quite a varied career in working as a goalkeeping coach for a while and would probably not have been in most people's minds but has been a brilliant bit of business.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Tommy Wright, although stepping up from number 2, had quite a varied career in working as a goalkeeping coach for a while and would probably not have been in most people's minds but has been a brilliant bit of business.

TBF he'd had teams punching above their weight as a manager in the past, even taken an unfancied side to a National Trophy win. He was also constantly described as "the brains" behind Steve Lomas.

6 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Harltey will probably stay.  The board are paralysed with fear.  He should have been sacked after the Aberdeen game.  The Hearts game was winnable and someone new might just have given the players a lift and given us a chance.  

Even at this stage of the season does Hartley even know what his best team is?  He keeps chopping and changing the players in the hope that they have a good game.  He's like a drunk at the roulette wheel changing from red to black and then back to red again. 

Not sure about this. Tim Keyes over for game against Hamilton and a loss, I suspect, would mean an end to Hartley's time.

No way are we going to get a manager currently in work at this time of the season, especially if they are with clubs involved in promotion / relegation. Personally I would hope we could get Jocky to help us to the end of the season (at least he knows how to get the players to do the basics well and, to put it another way, if Inverness appointed him I would be worried that they could drag themselves out of their position) though I suspect McPake would be given the nod. What-ever, Hartley has not shown anything to suggest that he should be in charge.

On 07/04/2017 at 19:32, LiamDFC said:

Lets play a game.

The task is to name as many 'utterly pointless signings by Paul Hartley' as possible. The prize is absolutely nothing other than a feeling of panic and, possibly, despair.

I'll get us started;

Ricardo Calder
Yordi Teijsse
Marc Klok
Nicky Low
Dylan Carreiro
Rhys Healey
Phil Roberts
Michael Duffy
Daryll Meggatt
Danny Williams

Possibly a little harsh on Nicky Low as his problem was mostly injuries. The rest were completely, utterly useless and no-where near good enough for this level.

You might argue Simon Ferry etc, but guys like that did play 20 odd games so I'd suggest less than 5-10 games in their time here being the key marker of standard.

Am I missing anyone obvious? 

ETA: Stick Mitchell in the goals and you've got yourself a starting 11 there. Where none of them start. Ever.

Thank you.

images.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He would but I dunno if I could tolerate his shite, boring style of football.

...and yet it would still be a massive improvement on Hartley's let the other team keep possession and when we get the ball give it a big punt up to Haber.  

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Tommy's already turned down a move to the big club in dundee, I doubt he'd go to the wee one tbh. 

Tommy's a clever man.  He knew United were in terminal decline!

Anyway, you don't really believe United were serious in their approach for Wright do you?  You really believe Stephen Thompson would have been willing to pay the compensation?  Just a coincidence that there was no compensation to consider with Mixu.