All things Dundee FC

Agree about El Bak but think McCann will start Haber for some reason, just a feeling. Also think it might be a little early for Moussa - think he'll get his first start against Buckie on Saturday.
You could be right about Wighton but personally think Wolters is streets ahead from what I've seen. Then again - Wighton might feel he has something to prove going back to Raith.

Agree about Wolters. Although as a sub I'd rather see him come on than Wighton if that makes sense, that's why I reckon he'll start?

To be fair all the new signings bar Moussa (haven't seen him yet) have made their case to be in the starting 11.

I think it's been pretty clear that McCann doesn't fancy Haber for some reason. He's been deployed in the 'second squad' during pre season and last season, when Haber was invaluable to us getting results, he didn't last much more than 60 minutes in the games he played (Which hindered us) under McCann. The signing of Moussa makes me think Haber's days are numbered. He's by all accounts apparently a physical striker and with him being given the number 9 it looks like McCann sees him as his main man (Whether tomorrow is too soon for him is another question). I can't see Moussa featuring up top with Haber unless we are going route one and chasing the game.

What a danger we'd be with Haber and Moussa (From the YouTube clips - which admittedly mean nothing) up top, defences would never win a header.

Someone on the other forum has said they've heard we're close to offloading Haber to some MLS team. Putting aside that the club's leaking f**k all so it's likely nonsense, I'm fine with him but certainly wouldn't be bothered if he left. He's an alright player but by all means replaceable.  

FWIW I think Haber is distinctly mediocre and it wouldn't be that hard to improve upon him. Lacks pace, doesn't score enough goals, doesn't link up play that well, close control poor. I've no idea if Moussa is better than him but it looks like McCann thinks he is.

I agree though that Haber will probs start tomorrow.

Haber is garbage IMO. Misses far too many sitters and looks half arsed most of the time.

Even looking at some of his goals last season they were lucky as f**k. His shot at Parkhead was flying a mile wide until it hit someone's arse and deceived the keeper. The goal
against Hearts was quite clearly an OG and one in the 3-2 game at Fir Park was an O'Hara attempt that he couldn't get out the way of and again wrong footed the keeper.

Can understand the criticisms of Haber but there's no doubt in my mind that Dundee would have been relegated last season without him.

Don't disagree with that. Think that tells us a lot more about the side PH assembled than about Haber though.

1 hour ago, punk_dfc said:

Can understand the criticisms of Haber but there's no doubt in my mind that Dundee would have been relegated last season without him.

Agreed.....he got off to a flyer with us and looked sharp, last part of the season though he looked gubbed. I would like to see him given a chance this season.

Haber is garbage IMO. Misses far too many sitters and looks half arsed most of the time.

Even looking at some of his goals last season they were lucky as f**k. His shot at Parkhead was flying a mile wide until it hit someone's arse and deceived the keeper. The goal
against Hearts was quite clearly an OG and one in the 3-2 game at Fir Park was an O'Hara attempt that he couldn't get out the way of and again wrong footed the keeper.

Don't disagree with that. Think that tells us a lot more about the side PH assembled than about Haber though.

Agreed.....he got off to a flyer with us and looked sharp, last part of the season though he looked gubbed. I would like to see him given a chance this season.

I agree with all 3 of these posts, I think he's shit, he deserves a chance but hopefully Moussa is better. Just having competition for Haber's place should help.

Anyway I'm buzzing for tonight. Although I'm so optimistic this all the hallmarks of Raith 3 Dundee 0.

Haber has changed quite a lot as a player since he was with us. Always remembered him being reasonably quick and not that great in the air. I know he's had injury problems (including a really bad knee injury when on loan with us), so it seems he's adjusted his game for what I presume is a loss of pace.

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Haber has changed quite a lot as a player since he was with us. Always remembered him being reasonably quick and not that great in the air. I know he's had injury problems (including a really bad knee injury when on loan with us), so it seems he's adjusted his game for what I presume is a loss of pace.

He is still fast for a guy his size and he is also good in the air......it's his finishing that lets him down to be honest especially easy chances where he seems to flap. 

Choking for a good result tonight. 3/4 is a decent price in the bookies earlier in my opinion. Only saw the arbroath pre season match and we weren't the best there by all accounts.

Want a cup run this year. Don't care what cup. Just gies cup run.

Haber is the kind of striker you can rely on getting you 10 goals a season. Fine for teams trying to avoid relegation but if we want to push on we definitely need something a bit more.

I like Haber but I'm not even sure this is true. He got 9 last year which was a far better return than I think any of us were expecting but realistically he strikes me as the type that would get 5/6 in a season most years. Most of his work is done in the build-up with bringing others into play etc.

Still think he's alright as an option though and it should be noted that he didn't have a pre-season with the mighty Dees (or at all?!) last season so maybe that's why he struggled towards the end?

Thank You

I like Haber but I'm not even sure this is true. He got 9 last year which was a far better return than I think any of us were expecting but realistically he strikes me as the type that would get 5/6 in a season most years. Most of his work is done in the build-up with bringing others into play etc.

Still think he's alright as an option though and it should be noted that he didn't have a pre-season with the mighty Dees (or at all?!) last season so maybe that's why he struggled towards the end?

Thank You

Considering the (to put it mildly) absolutely shite service he has to work off of last season I think he did fairly well. Playing in a team who can create chances I think he'd comfortably get 10 goals a season.

Anyway, regardless, we need someone more prolific and hopefully Moussa will be that guy. Would still like us to hang onto Haber for at least another season.

I genuinely forgot Barry Smith was Raith's manager going into tonight. Hopefully he gets a good reception from us tonight then hopefully he makes a right c**t of his selection to give us an easy three points.

I genuinely forgot Barry Smith was Raith's manager going into tonight. Hopefully he gets a good reception from us tonight then hopefully he makes a right c**t of his selection to give us an easy three points.

I'd forgotten that too.

Gives you even more hope when you remember.

The vast majority of Dee's would take Scott McDonald. Yet Haber outscored him last season in terms of goals per minute on the field.

Haber is harshly viewed because his finishing is brutal. He's not a striker that's going to get you 20 a season but he absolutely dominated defences last season. He rarely lost a header and was a massive threat at all times.

He's a cracking player to have. I wasn't inspired when he signed, but he causes all sorts of problems for teams. If Moussa can do the same but score, then I'd deem Haber still worthy of a squad slot as he's incredibly useful without having a great deal of ability.