All things Dundee FC

We're clearly better than the diddies this season but lacking against the better teams. What's the reason?

Looking to next season we need to add more pace. Out of Boateng, Sylla, McCowan and Cameron  you couldn't call any of them bad players but for that extra level you need more grit and speed.

At right back McGhee has been very useful of late but he still isn't top six quality. He's earned his right to be in the squad next season but we should be looking to improve.

Goalkeeping errors of late against St Mirren and Hibs have cost us against top six rivals. Really poor from Carson who is clearly a good goalkeeper which is the most frustrating thing.

As for the strikers, when up against your non dugmeat variety of teams they've not been upto scratch unfortunately. We need more pace in that area aswell.

If we wanted a really strong top six contending side I think the only players we could have in our starting 11 are Carson( on his day), Lamie, Sylla and McCowan - not including loan players.

Hopefully Astley can show something before the seasons end and a fully fit Main can definitely contribute to a successful squad.

Thank you.

Carson/McCracken

McGhee/Astley              Portales                      Donnelly

Mulligan/McGhee                             Sylla                                                      Beck

Boateng                   McCowan

Costelloe                 Mellon

I like both McCracken and Carson so not bothered who starts. Mulligan is a decent player who is lacking in confidence but just needs one good game to get him in form. Astley must be better than Lamie and Shaughnessy but don't know how you introduce him into the team.  Mellon is similar to `Robinson in terms of playing different in other environments. He is doing decent and is a smart footballer buts runs different and plays a different play style to what he did at Morcambe. I think once he settles in and gets another goal he will become our main striker. Costelloe is better further up and he's excellent running up the field. Celtic look awful and we need energy to get right on top of them to get the fans on their back.

Some players who who would be good additions in the summer:  

James Penrice (out of contract)

Greg Stewart (out of contract)

Paul McGinn (out of contract)

Dylan Easton (out of contract)

Jon McCracken (out of contract)

Malachi Boateng (sign)

Aaron Donnelly (sign)

Zach Robinson (Sign)

Dara Costelloe (Loan)

Kevin Van Veen (Sign).    Some of these players may seem unrealistic but it all depends on where we finish this season.

8 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Some players who who would be good additions in the summer:  

James Penrice (out of contract)

Greg Stewart (out of contract)

Paul McGinn (out of contract)

Dylan Easton (out of contract)

Jon McCracken (out of contract)

Malachi Boateng (sign)

Aaron Donnelly (sign)

Zach Robinson (Sign)

Dara Costelloe (Loan)

Kevin Van Veen (Sign).    Some of these players may seem unrealistic but it all depends on where we finish this season.

Dylan Easton, McCracken, Boateng and possibly Van Veen would be the only players I would even think about from that list.

The rest would not improve us. Imo.

Celtic struggling right now - which usually means we'll be the team that gives them the confidence win.

Trying to think that last time we turned up against them - a midweek 0-0 at Celtic Park is the best I remember.  Kerr played left back that day and was outstanding - they were looking for Forrest in his back pocket at the end of the game.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Really don't understand Docherty's change to a system with wingers. Fair enough, our formation might have needed a wee freshen up but Tiffoney and Costelloe aren't good enough to be starting for us IMO. 

I absolutely slaughtered Costelloe when we signed him but he's been nowhere near the drastic failure I thought he'd be. He's still not good enough to start though and we don't have any other decent wingers.

We used this formation against St Johnstone and County as well and despite winning both games, we had to change formation mid match in both as it wasn't fully working then either. 

A chance hes preparing for next season as he wants to play that way, and is seeing who of your current bunch is worth sticking with and who needs replaced?

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Dylan Easton, McCracken, Boateng and possibly Van Veen would be the only players I would even think about from that list.

The rest would not improve us. Imo.

Almost impossible to improve on Beck so Penrice is the next best LB available

24 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Has Tyler French still got a future at the club? I rated him very highly last season and I reckon he is better than Joe and Lamie. 

I don't think so. His deal is up at season's end and we've handed his number to Ryan Astley so his time looks done as much as Byrne's does. Shame, as had he not had his horror injury he'd be our only true RB and might've stayed in the first team. Good to see him doing well in Greenock though.

33 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Has Tyler French still got a future at the club? I rated him very highly last season and I reckon he is better than Joe and Lamie. 

He's a starter for a team that has now gone 15 games unbeaten so he must be doing something right.

I believe the consensus from Morton fans is good but not great though which suggests the Championship is about his level.

Chance to freshen the team up. A youthful squad has the chance of beating Celtic. They hate it if you try and beat them and as soon as you put every fan behind the ball that is when they find a way to beat us. Chance to try something new. Won't happen but Mulligan and Donnelly full backs with McGhee back in CB. Midfield Boateng and Robertson back in. Mellon and Main up top. From the highlights I noticed Carson made a save and he was in pain with his shoulder. Good time for McCracken and Astley to be introduced.

2 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

Chance to freshen the team up. A youthful squad has the chance of beating Celtic. They hate it if you try and beat them and as soon as you put every fan behind the ball that is when they find a way to beat us. Chance to try something new. Won't happen but Mulligan and Donnelly full backs with McGhee back in CB. Midfield Boateng and Robertson back in. Mellon and Main up top. From the highlights I noticed Carson made a save and he was in pain with his shoulder. Good time for McCracken and Astley to be introduced.

Good shout, but now is not the time to be experimenting, maybe if we were top six post split.

Like the idea of two forwards though, no point in Bakayoko running around on his own. (think he needs dropped as well)

Need Boateng and big Mo in central midfield as well. IMO.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

What the age cutoff for potential ability/to just plain old things he can do and things he can’t do?

23/24 IMO.

Although there are obviously examples of players maturing and playing their best football in their 30s. CB's and GK's especially.

8 hours ago, RawB93 said:

23/24 IMO.

Although there are obviously examples of players maturing and playing their best football in their 30s. CB's and GK's especially.

McCowan a good example of why you shouldn’t give up on players too early.  At 24 he was a good championship player and probably not really good enough for the premiership.  At 26 he’s the star player for a team chasing top 6.

17 hours ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Afternoon Dees. Just wondering if anyone knows what the script is regarding the ticket situation for the Aberdeen game on the 13th. Will original tickets be valid?

Thank you. 

Imagine they would be mate. People who bought tickets for St Johnstone game were told just to re-use those ones.