All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

So Dens has plumbing issues but a stadium 200 yards away is completely unaffected by this problem?

Yes, because there is likely entirely separate sewerage and drainage under Tannadice street which is not perpetually overwhelmed, and doesn't cause any water on the Tannadice surface to pool up.

Its not a "Dens plumbing issue", its because there is nowhere for the water on the Dens pitch to go because during any significant rainfall the already insufficient drainage on Dens Road becomes completely overwhelmed.

Edited by Boo Khaki

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yes, because there is likely entirely separate sewerage and drainage under Tannadice street which is not perpetually overwhelmed, and doesn't cause any water on the Tannadice surface to pool up.

Its not a "Dens plumbing issue", its because there is nowhere for the water on the Dens pitch to go because during any significant rainfall the already insufficient drainage on Dens Road becomes completely overwhelmed.

I imagine, though clearly I don't know, that Tannadice drains down on to Arklay street then drains on to Dens Road - whilst part of the same system not directly connected to the issue.

Edited by Pens_Dark

4 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I imagine, though clearly I don't know, that Tannadice drains down on to Arklay street then drains on to Dens Road - whilst part of the same system not directly connected to the issue.

Yip, which is why, when the Dens drainage is overwhelmed, any water on the Tannadice pitch will still drain but then pool inside the sewerage where it meets with Dens Road, whereas because the water from the Dens pitch drains more or less directly on to Dens Road, it has nowhere to go and just pools up.

Awaits the suggestion that Dundee FC should have just ignored scientific principles that underpin drainage everywhere and forced their water to drain uphill into Tannadice Street or Provost Road.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

So Dens has plumbing issues but a stadium 200 yards away is completely unaffected by this problem?

Do you understand what a hill is?

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's a well known fact that Tannadice was built on sand dunes in what was once known as the Stobi Desert, giving them an unfair draining advantage.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Aye, been like this forever. It's the risk of using existing waterways as part of the drainage system - they're already taking water in from much further afield. They're also much smaller capacity than they need to be, in case of weather events like we've seen. Same story as down by the bus station/dock st which is near where the Dens burn and Scouring burn meet and head toward the Tay.

Flood Prevention Report 2009

Edited by RawB93

2 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

It's a well known fact that Tannadice was built on sand dunes in what was once known as the Stobi Desert.

Aye, been like this forever. It's the risk of using existing waterways as part of the drainage system - they're already taking water in from much further afield. They're also much smaller capacity than they need to be, in case of weather events like we've seen. Same story as down by the bus station/dock st which is near where the Dens burn and Scouring burn meet and head toward the Tay.

GAME ON

THe pitch is about 10m above Dens Road.  Its the shite flowing down Provost Road into Sandeman street you need to worry about, and Im not talking about the clientele from Whites and the Ambassador. 

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

The drains from my neighbour’s house flow eastwards, thereafter southwards.  The drains from my house flow westwards, southwards, westwards again and thereafter southwards.  I know this because of the issues I had when I first moved into my house.  My neighbour’s house is approximately 20 - 25 metres from my house.

I don’t know the specifics of the drains around Dens but from my experience I don’t think it can be assumed that buildings within the relatively short distance of 200 yards share the same drains. 

Edited by Shadow Play

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

It's a well known fact that Tannadice was built on sand dunes in what was once known as the Stobi Desert, giving them an unfair draining advantage.

If it's been like this forever, why is it only a recent problem? Dens used to have one of the best pitches in the country. Not even that long ago. 

2 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

If it's been like this forever, why is it only a recent problem? Dens used to have one of the best pitches in the country. Not even that long ago. 

Presumably it’s the drains on Dens Road which seem to have failed/blocked in recent times.  

if it’s just drainage below the pitch I hope they fully address when the season is over.  

2 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

I think a small part of this might actually be that's it's been a bit wetter this past winter than it once was. Anecdotal, and I haven't actually looked at Met Office records or anything, but I'm in Edinburgh and I'd swear the past 4 or 5 months has been the wettest November - March I can recall in my entire life. Can't ever remember there being so many storms packed into such a short timespan, and this has been yet another winter with virtually no snow whatsoever.

I know aulder folk have reputation for moaning and claiming everything used to be better, but I'm no geriatric yet, and every single one of my pals is saying exactly the same thing. Winters over the past ten years have been noticeably milder, but far wetter than anyone recalls them ever being even 20-30 years back. If it's noticeable now, it's only going to get worse.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

I assume thd buiilding of new houses around that area won't have helped.

16 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

My neighbours drains were blocked a few months back yet mine's were fine.  A matter of 2-3 yards apart.

Amazing, eh? 

19 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Even 30 odd years ago the manhole covers would pop up regularly on Dens Road when there was very heavy rain especially near the junction at Arklay Street, these were big heavy b*****ds but the force of water would throw them up as the old drains on Dens Road couldn't cope.

Since then there are houses built opposite the Derry and houses built behind the old TC Keay end. The change in the amount of waste and the way rain water is collected will have had an effect on those same drains and are clearly not coping. The problem Dundee have though is no amount of "work" at Dens is going to change what happens outside the ground. 

I'd prefer us to stay at Dens than move but this is probably an added reason for moving. 

It does make me wonder what we are supposed to do in the meantime, we've signed your groundsman but unless he's got God like powers I think we're fucked.

39 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The surface was like a bowling green in the very recent past. Some of these housing developments being posited were built over two decades ago. 

Time has a way of damaging structure, tbf. Tannadice was once a decent structure. The roof fell off of it last season.