All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

As for the disallowed goal - it was a Sylla handball about 2 minutes (but in the same passage of play, unfortunately) in the middle of the pitch. I remember because Dhanda went mental about it so I assumed it must have been because it was such an innocuous moment and the free-kick was taken from the same spot.

It's an example of this nonsense they said they would not do, i.e. re-referee the game.

There must have been at least 15 seconds or so between the handball, and the ball hitting the back of the net. I have no doubt that had it gone out for a throw-in, or a corner kick, there's no way they'd have pulled it back and given Hearts the FK, even though we'd have still gained an advantage and the ref clearly missed it. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Listened to Sportsound coming home and Tam English giving massive credit to McCowan and Cameron. Preston saying we'll struggle to hang onto either of them because they're both so good.

They are and they deserve all the plaudits they get but they should also be thanking one man that allows them to play with so much attacking freedom and that's the Derry Vieira - Mo Sylla.

I'll make a bold shout abd say he's probably pound for pound been Tony Docherty's best signing considering he was just a 29 year old, lower English league French man that was refusing to play for Harlepool in the National League - hardly the most exciting signing in the world on paper!

What a destroyer he is.

Get a new contract in front of him tonight!

Tom English said Cameron was 26 

What a game!! Both full backs were miles better than last week and look decent signing coups. Cameron was also better. The defence was so much more solid and after criticising him last week Portales was particularly good. Simon Murray is a class above what we’ve had previously, incredible work rate and Amanda did a fantastic, selfless job for the team. Sylla was immense, the keeper (other than his kicking) was faultless and Tiff fully justified his start. McCowan appears to be slightly off and maybe the transfer stuff is affecting him. Fair play to the Doc for switching to a back 4, what a manager we have. Early days but young Billy does look a bit raw! Magic stuff. 

Fantastic result and performance today. Think I’m the only person that thought Hearts played alright but we defended really well and tore them apart at times on the break. Big Seb was outstanding. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Listened to Sportsound coming home and Tam English giving massive credit to McCowan and Cameron. Preston saying we'll struggle to hang onto either of them because they're both so good.

They are and they deserve all the plaudits they get but they should also be thanking one man that allows them to play with so much attacking freedom and that's the Derry Vieira - Mo Sylla.

I'll make a bold shout abd say he's probably pound for pound been Tony Docherty's best signing considering he was just a 29 year old, lower English league French man that was refusing to play for Harlepool in the National League - hardly the most exciting signing in the world on paper!

What a destroyer he is.

Get a new contract in front of him tonight!

In fairness to Preston (who is diabolical in general), he was gushing about Sylla throughout most of the 90 minutes and had him as the clear MotM.

Just now, David W said:

In fairness to Preston (who is diabolical in general), he was gushing about Sylla throughout most of the 90 minutes and had him as the clear MotM.

No need to be fair to that cunto. He’s a f**king despicable individual. 

Pished and delighted.

Every player improved their displays on last week. McCowan possibly the least of the standouts in midfield? Superb from Cameron who I've asked for Mulligan to replace. Sylla was back to the man we know. I thought Ingram was superb aswell.

I believe we took Hearts by surprise with the formation. When it was matched in the second half Hearts probably shaded it although we always looked dangerous on the break. If Dhanda etc had of started it would've been a different game but they didn't and we take the 3 points. Round them.

Tremendous result. Hopefully into the quarters next week and a big loud away crowd to Hibs. I'll be getting the train and making a day of it. Can't wait. It's a good time to be a Dee.

Tiffoney was excellent today MOTM for me. For anyone with twitter I wonder if that King Kong moron over the road was trying to enter the pitch at Dingwall to fight the players again after their late collapse being held back by one steward. Fud.

Tha k you.

16 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

What a game!! Both full backs were miles better than last week and look decent signing coups. Cameron was also better. The defence was so much more solid and after criticising him last week Portales was particularly good. Simon Murray is a class above what we’ve had previously, incredible work rate and Amanda did a fantastic, selfless job for the team. Sylla was immense, the keeper (other than his kicking) was faultless and Tiff fully justified his start. McCowan appears to be slightly off and maybe the transfer stuff is affecting him. Fair play to the Doc for switching to a back 4, what a manager we have. Early days but young Billy does look a bit raw! Magic stuff. 

This in buckets. The Doc is great because unlike other managers we've endure in recent years he is not welded to one particular formation or system. Also like Spud I though Portales was outstanding especially in the first half. A shout out to Jordan McGhee. One of these players who divides opinion but he always puts in a great shift. Did well at centre back (which I must admit always gives me the fear) before taking over at left back. He's played for us at Right back, right wing back, centre midfield, centre back and now left back. Not our most popular player but every squad needs a guy like this. Worth his weight in hobby horses keich. 

Edited by Jimmy Baker

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Docherty was asked in the build up of the game which was, 'Have you learned much from Steven Naismith's management?' L

f**king hell. 

The media reaction when Naismith bombs this season, and all the hype around him is revealed to be based on Shankland carrying Hearts for a season, will be a great watch.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

f**king hell. 

The media reaction when Naismith bombs this season, and all the hype around him is revealed to be based on Shankland carrying Hearts for a season, will be a great watch.

I think you’re spot on (for once 😜).  Not least based on yesterday’s performance and Shankland’s overall body language I can see him having a poor season.  Naismith’s post match interview is night and day with Doc in the way they are able to asses a match.

17 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think you’re spot on (for once 😜).  Not least based on yesterday’s performance and Shankland’s overall body language I can see him having a poor season.  Naismith’s post match interview is night and day with Doc in the way they are able to asses a match.

Shankland tends to start slow then come onto a game. He was also shite at Dens last season in the 1-0 win.

There is the added question of whether he really just wants a move away now though also at play. 

Would still take him in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Shankland tends to start slow then come onto a game. He was also shite at Dens last season in the 1-0 win.

There is the added question of whether he really just wants a move away now though also at play. 

Would still take him in a heartbeat.

I think you are correct, the rumours surrounding a possible move will not be helping him.

Despite what I’ve said am not doubting that Shankland would be an improvement for most clubs in this league.  However, I think there is a very good reason that, presumably, no club from any other league has tabled a big money offer for Shankland.  When you get to the rumoured asking price of £4M you are (with the exception of Rangers and Celtic) talking about clubs that play in a better league.  

All just my opinion of course.

At times over the summer it's been a bit frustrating with the lack of signings. Think yesterday shows we've definitely improved certain areas which were required. It's possibly this attention to detail and care in the market that was missing under the moron scattergun McPake,McCann, McIntyre era. 

Ingram was outstanding and looked better than McGhee on the right. We're not beating Beck at LB but Larkeche looked capable. Murray and SPH are improvements on Robinson, Bakayoko, Pineda and Rudden. Time will tell on Koumetio but he certainly has all the attributes you'd like to see in a defender.

If we can bring in another three genuinely good signings then the squad will be looking very impressive. It's far too early in the season to judge things but an away point in a Derby and beating Hearts at home is a great start. If we can beat Airdrie next week let's hope for a bit of luck and we're one game off Hampden.

Thank you.

Glad to read Ziyad will be fine. He’s clearly building fitness and adjusting but I saw enough yesterday to know he’s going to be a solid player for us this season. He’s tenacious and technically good. He will only get better. And it’s also the best I’ve seen Ingrim, powerful and strong in the tackle. 

Will be interesting to see what business we do now. One thing is for sure, we are a very attractive team for players now. That’s the biggest shift since Doc has came in. We’re super professional, and we have a manager who develops and improves players. What a time to be a Dee man. 

Oh, and let’s get Tiff signed up. 

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

At times over the summer it's been a bit frustrating with the lack of signings. Think yesterday shows we've definitely improved certain areas which were required. It's possibly this attention to detail and care in the market that was missing under the moron scattergun McPake,McCann, McIntyre era. 

Ingram was outstanding and looked better than McGhee on the right. We're not beating Beck at LB but Larkeche looked capable. Murray and SPH are improvements on Robinson, Bakayoko, Pineda and Rudden. Time will tell on Koumetio but he certainly has all the attributes you'd like to see in a defender.

If we can bring in another three genuinely good signings then the squad will be looking very impressive. It's far too early in the season to judge things but an away point in a Derby and beating Hearts at home is a great start. If we can beat Airdrie next week let's hope for a bit of luck and we're one game off Hampden.

Thank you.

A bit of patience was all that was required. The Doc and the rest of his transfer group have tended to get it right with the signings this last 13 months. Can see a minimum of 3 signings yet before the window closes. 

Great to watch a side with so much pace on the break and never gives the other side a minutes peace. 

20 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

When does Portales contract run to? The guy is an 8 minimum every week. So consistent. What a find he’s been. 

I think he struggles in the back three. I remember when we played a back four against Rangers he was outstanding at Dens with the same again yesterday. Go to Hibs and trust the players to give the same levels away from home IMO.

Thank you.

I think we are better suited to a 4 at the back with the full backs we have. I don't think they are natural wing backs.

Stand outs for me yesterday were Tiffoney (who was just excellent all round), SPH & Ingram. Ingram was far, far better than the game at tannadice. 

Seb, was tremendous. I think we have a proper player on our hands in him. 

Aside from blowing Hearts away, I think the most impressive thing about yesterday was our game management and I hope that is a sign of things to come having learned from last season. 

Next 2 games ‘could’ bring about a real bit of feel good factor around the club

Just checked Hibs are away to Celtic next weekend 

They could already be in a mini crisis by the time we visit.

Do the business at home to Airdrie first obviously but things are lining up nicely