All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

His name keeps getting banded about and rumours are we've approached Morten about speaking to him.

Rumours are generally bollocks though as the lead up to the Neil McCann appointment proved and bookies odds aren't worth a f**k.

I think Jai Quitongo and maybe some other boy basically carried them for the season in the same way that Stewart and Hemmings carried us, then when Quitongo got injured their season nosedived. @Dunning1874 or some other Morten fan can confirm if that is true or if I'm talking shite.

tl;dr summary: you're not exactly wrong but you're not covering the whole story either.

Quitongo's injury was a big problem for us as his style of play was crucial to the whole system we were playing and no one else at the club could offer the same physical presence or intensity of pressing, but he got injured in December and our results continued to be excellent until the end of March, even though the performances dipped.

It was really a combination of things which could all be traced back to Duffy having a bad January. I know Gavin Gunning's still a joke figure to Premiership fans due to the way his Dundee Utd career ended but he really was brilliant for us. When we were playing well we were so good because we pressed from the front and didn't give our opponents any time on the ball at all, but what enabled the midfield and forwards to press so high up the park was the defence holding a high line.

It was Gunning's tactical awareness that constantly had the defence pushing up, squeezing the space for other teams to operate in and ensuring we didn't sit in too deep when we were holding a lead. Gunning left in January, no other defenders had the same tactical awareness and the defence gradually slipped back week after week (figuratively and literally, amirite?) to the point where they were camped on the six yard box shutting no one down, the midfield had to follow them back in too and their standing off allowed us to concede five goals in two legs to that absolute rabble of a Dundee United team.

Also in January, with Quitongo injured we had to add to the attacking options and after missing out on Loy we ended up with Lawrence Shankland, who is an absolute waste of skin and will be playing in the Ayrshire juniors via Clyde within three years. For a while we were fine as we still had Gary Oliver on form and/or a midfielder who could at least run about and press up front, then Oliver got injured too and we were reliant on that fat immobile mess: he couldn't be less like Quitongo and the pressing game was gone. Combine the lack of pressure on the opposition defence with Gunning's absence having our defence drop back, our midfield which had been swording teams every week had too much ground to cover while being squeezed by the opposition and Ross Forbes, who was scoring or setting up a goal in every single game in the first half of the season, was invisible in the last quarter.

Duffy does deserve credit for how good we were in the second and third quarters of the season as well as the League Cup run, but he had a dreadful January which came back to haunt us, we ended the season on a run of 11 games without a win and as I said in the manager of the year thread in the Championship forum, he's not achieved anything unrealistic with us. While this had the potential to be a brilliant season, it's turned out to just be decent. He is doing a good job, but fourth in the second tier and a couple of wins over top flight clubs in a cup is an entirely realistic target for Morton, no matter how much Chick Young types like to make out that he's a miracle worker and we should only be able to dream of having a season this good.

If you want to see a manager achieving something unrealistic and miraculous in the Championship, Jack Ross keeping St. Mirren up from where they were in February is it. They had 14 points after 23 games, 11 behind 8th & 7 behind 9th, then he took 25 points from their last 13, with 6-2, 5-0 and 4-1 wins in there, to stay out of the playoffs on goal difference. That's an absolutely ridiculous turnaround and Ross should undoubtedly be the first Championship manager in line for a Premiership job on the back of it. Get him appointed.

Edited by Dunning1874

8 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Despite the fact that they're all point blank denying it, St Mirren fans must be shitting themselves that Jack Ross is the clear bookies favouriteemoji1.png

That's actually  a reasonable summary :lol:

I would be devastated if he went, especially as season tickets are flying out on the promise of a Jack Ross-led season.  But if he goes, we'll move on and find a replacement. That's just football. Blackandwhitearmy will be unbearable for a few weeks, but it's not great at the best of times.

If the Courier is right talking about the Ross County manager coming to Dens, then that's football, but I really don't want his assistant. The greedy little turd voted to close us down lest we forget. So let's hope that StMirren's anguish becomes our joy.

11 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

If the Courier is right talking about the Ross County manager coming to Dens, then that's football, but I really don't want his assistant. The greedy little turd voted to close us down lest we forget. So let's hope that StMirren's anguish becomes our joy.

James Fowler voted to close us down? :huh: 

18 minutes ago, The Master said:

If we take Jack Ross as manager, I expect this thread to "mysteriously" disappear again. 

Along with any other threads to do with Dundee.

And all Dundee-supporting members.

Riiiight, it's all becoming clear now. Did Morton do something to upset Div 15 years ago? Because there's hardly any folk at their games now. 

I guess you need to watch your step. 

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

tl;dr summary: you're not exactly wrong but you're not covering the whole story either.

Quitongo's injury was a big problem for us as his style of play was crucial to the whole system we were playing and no one else at the club could offer the same physical presence or intensity of pressing, but he got injured in December and our results continued to be excellent until the end of March, even though the performances dipped.

It was really a combination of things which could all be traced back to Duffy having a bad January. I know Gavin Gunning's still a joke figure to Premiership fans due to the way his Dundee Utd career ended but he really was brilliant for us. When we were playing well we were so good because we pressed from the front and didn't give our opponents any time on the ball at all, but what enabled the midfield and forwards to press so high up the park was the defence holding a high line.

It was Gunning's tactical awareness that constantly had the defence pushing up, squeezing the space for other teams to operate in and ensuring we didn't sit in too deep when we were holding a lead. Gunning left in January, no other defenders had the same tactical awareness and the defence gradually slipped back week after week (figuratively and literally, amirite?) to the point where they were camped on the six yard box shutting no one down, the midfield had to follow them back in too and their standing off allowed us to concede five goals in two legs to that absolute rabble of a Dundee United team.

Also in January, with Quitongo injured we had to add to the attacking options and after missing out on Loy we ended up with Lawrence Shankland, who is an absolute waste of skin and will be playing in the Ayrshire juniors via Clyde within three years. For a while we were fine as we still had Gary Oliver on form and/or a midfielder who could at least run about and press up front, then Oliver got injured too and we were reliant on that fat immobile mess: he couldn't be less like Quitongo and the pressing game was gone. Combine the lack of pressure on the opposition defence with Gunning's absence having our defence drop back, our midfield which had been swording teams every week had too much ground to cover while being squeezed by the opposition and Ross Forbes, who was scoring or setting up a goal in every single game in the first half of the season, was invisible in the last quarter.

Duffy does deserve credit for how good we were in the second and third quarters of the season as well as the League Cup run, but he had a dreadful January which came back to haunt us, we ended the season on a run of 11 games without a win and as I said in the manager of the year thread in the Championship forum, he's not achieved anything unrealistic with us. While this had the potential to be a brilliant season, it's turned out to just be decent. He is doing a good job, but fourth in the second tier and a couple of wins over top flight clubs in a cup is an entirely realistic target for Morton, no matter how much Chick Young types like to make out that he's a miracle worker and we should only be able to dream of having a season this good.

If you want to see a manager achieving something unrealistic and miraculous in the Championship, Jack Ross keeping St. Mirren up from where they were in February is it. They had 14 points after 23 games, 11 behind 8th & 7 behind 9th, then he took 25 points from their last 13, with 6-2, 5-0 and 4-1 wins in there, to stay out of the playoffs on goal difference. That's an absolutely ridiculous turnaround and Ross should undoubtedly be the first Championship manager in line for a Premiership job on the back of it. Get him appointed.

f**k, I wish I'd never asked now.

Jk m8, thnx 4 the summary.

Am I the only Dundee fan that isn't overly fussed about Jack Ross? I'm obviously willing to get behind him (if we appoint him) and I'm certainly not against him, but I wouldn't be paying over the odds to get him. It goes without saying that I'd take him ahead of Duffy, Rae and the other names that get thrown about and I don't have a better name up my sleeve... but I've got to believe there's someone better out there that would be willing to take the job.

That being said, we're not exactly an appealing club at the moment. Given the current squad and contracts, Ross is probably the best we can hope for.

I really hope Nelmsy decides to rip some of those deals up. Won't happen, though.

Sorry, slightly off topic- but has anyone seen the fucking state of this article: https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/no-dundee-derby-sees-dark-blues-coffers-take-hit/

What it omits to say is the The Rangers replaced Utd last season and Hamilton's win at the expense of Utd is mitigated somewhat by Hibs replacing ICT.

Contrast this with the Courier's article boasting about Utd's budget being largest in the Championship and their financial situation not being as desperate as "reported elsewhere" (presumably by themselves in response to the auditor's report). I don't believe DCT has an agenda against either team but they do themselves no favours with shite like this.