All things Dundee FC

I just google'd that keeper we have on trial and he has a whole section on Wikipedia about his popularity in Serbia as he was falsely 'sussed' out as someone that gave insider betting tips to the point that he now has fan clubs over in Serbia despite never playing there.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I just google'd that keeper we have on trial and he has a whole section on Wikipedia about his popularity in Serbia as he was falsely 'sussed' out as someone that gave insider betting tips to the point that he now has fan clubs over in Serbia despite never playing there.

Sounds a bit like GDS. 

Is he still inside?

17 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

We've got some french keeper on trial according to the Tele. Absolutely not what we need and if signed a ridiculous waste of the wage budget when we're desperate for a striker who actually scores.

I'll be seething if he signs, Parish is more than adequate.

17 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Surely have to off load bain first before we get someone in ?

I'd imagine Bain will be away 1st January when he can actually sign for someone. Don't really see the issue spending a couple of weeks looking around and letting guys train with the team and maybe signing him a couple of weeks early to get integrated.

There's a lot of dead wood in the squad that we desperately need rid of but you always need to have two senior 'keepers or you are asking for disaster.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

We have quite a few players on our books do we not? Unless we are still money bags. Mccann seems to be allowed to bring in who he wants

26 but Spence, Curran and Waddell are likely on peanuts. McPake apparently took a really massive wage drop to stay at the club too (but don't know what he was on to start with). Don't imagine Wighton or even Cammy will be on strong wages for this level too given that they signed deals as they were kind of emerging into being in the first team.

I imagine we'll look at moving on Low, Vincent, Gadz and Julen in January which would give us 22 players and pretty much 2 sets of 11. Probably not much to work with in January (other than maybe a straight swap for Bain with this new guy or someone else). It's not really a lot when you put it like that but probably our highest budget since we've come up as guys like Hateley, Williams, Loy and any of the above who we get rid of will be earning something from this years budget in terms of compensation.

It seems that the board, at least initially anyway, agreed to boost the budget to compensate for some of Hartley's poorer long term signings so McCann wasn't burdened with playing them and couldn't give an excuse. I doubt they'll continue it maybe past one or two January signings and next year, I think they will be expecting to run with a smaller squad.

For what it's worth, I don't actually think the squad needs a huge amount of work anymore. Don't think any of the signings have been that horrific really apart from Moussa and Gadz (in terms of being a waste of a contract since he's not in favour). A few underwhelming but still think they could be decent players at this level and have shown something. Just up to McCann to show he can manage them IMO.

8 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Next 3 games takes us right into December
At least 5 points out of 9 we should be aiming for. Anything less in my opinion is a fail.

Can mccann manage his own players ? Right now no .
And how much time he has left shouldn't be much .

Rangers at home, Ross County away and Aberdeen at home.  To get at least 5 points we’d need to get 2 draws and a win or win at least 2 games.

Given the fixtures, that’s a big ask for any team in the bottom four, let alone the way we have been playing.

Right now I’d settle for a win against County and to simply compete well against Rangers and Aberdeen (hopefully scoring as well!) with any points from those two games a bonus.

Hope I’m being too cautious  and we get what you're aiming for G_Man.

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

It's a must surely since we fucked up against Hamilton and Kilmarnock. Say we only get 3 points out of 9. Is that enough for mccann to keep his job?
Rangers got pumped from Hamilton so I don't see why we can't do the business at home

I think 3 points against County would be enough for McCann to keep his job - as long as the performances against Rangers and Aberdeen showed improvements in a number of areas.  Getting goals out of the strikers would be a start.

I don’t particularly rate  Rangers but I can’t see them missing as many chances again.

Edited by Shadow Play

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think 3 points against County would be enough for McCann to keep his job - as long as the performances against Rangers and Aberdeen showed improvements in a number of areas.  Getting goals out of the strikers would be a start.

I don’t particularly rate a Rangers but I can’t see them missing as many chances again.

Our keeper wasn't overworked on Saturday, and what he did have to deal with was mainly routine.

19 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

If the board believe getting 0 points out of 6 at home is okay for someone to keep there job. Shows how far back we are then ?
Just think McCann has to be getting results and especially at home.

We had back to back defeats at home against Motherwell and Hamilton at the end of October.  

40 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

If the board believe getting 0 points out of 6 at home is okay for someone to keep there job. Shows how far back we are then ?
Just think McCann has to be getting results and especially at home.

Whats your solution then G_Man? Sack him now?

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I would of before this. I feel right now we are better than nobody this season in the league. We deserve to be bottom. Our attitude seems to be if we lose on Friday and against Aberdeen it's okay as long as play n try hard. We have been trying hard, however reality is we are shite.
Realistically when are we to come good? I will still go n watch us but it has been pretty hard to watch us this season.
I asked before where we will finish this season and who is worse than us. 1 person was able to give an answer.
How long do we give mccann ? Until end of season and if we are relegated then so f**k ? Or do you genuinely believe mccann has what it takes to get us out of this mess?.

I loved him as a player n how he saved us last season but this season so far has been brutal. Play good n come away with zero. Only plus side for me this season is my young lad has taken more of an interest ( 5 years old)

I think we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, the board made the decision to appoint him, at the end of the day its their shout.

5 minutes ago, kevthedee said:

We have 8 games before the winter break starts on the 30th December.

If we are still in the shit at that time then he should go.

So you would give him 2 thirds of the regular season before punting him ?

Over your first 14 fixtures you have won 9 points, over your last 5 fixtures you have 1 point, going on a % basis of points won over your first 14 games, if the conversion rate stays consistent, you are predicting Dundee to have 14 points out of a possible 66. 

That would only give a new manager 11 games of the regular season, and the 5 post split matches to turn around the damage done by the current manager at the turn of the year.

Taking into account how long it takes a new manager, to get his message across Dundee could quite possibly even find themselves relegated pre split fixtures.

So you would give him 2 thirds of the regular season before punting him ?

Over your first 14 fixtures you have won 9 points, over your last 5 fixtures you have 1 point, going on a % basis of points won over your first 14 games, if the conversion rate stays consistent, you are predicting Dundee to have 14 points out of a possible 66. 

That would only give a new manager 11 games of the regular season, and the 5 post split matches to turn around the damage done by the current manager at the turn of the year.

Taking into account how long it takes a new manager, to get his message across Dundee could quite possibly even find themselves relegated pre split fixtures.

Our American owners tend not to make hasty descions when it comes to our managers Hartley was afforded plenty of time by them.

I expect McCann will get that same time and patience.

2 hours ago, kevthedee said:

Our American owners tend not to make hasty descions when it comes to our managers Hartley was afforded plenty of time by them.

I expect McCann will get that same time and patience.

Hartley at least had a promotion, a top 6 finish and an 8th placed finish (12 points clear of the play-off) that in some way justified that time and patience though.

McCann's a TV pundit in his first management job who was appointed having won 2 out of 5 games in a relegation scrap and having initially left the club somehow ended up back 3 days later with a 3 year deal and a permanent post.

Who knows, he may turn it round but as it stands if Dundee fail to win against Rangers on Friday then they'll be going into December on less points than the Club 12 season. That team at least had mitigating circumstances that accounted for their league position. Similarly though Dundee were bottom at this point last season they were also only 3 points off 6th. This season they're 9 points off 6th place and a manager who's apparently falling out with players left, right and centre.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hartley at least had a promotion, a top 6 finish and an 8th placed finish (12 points clear of the play-off) that in some way justified that time and patience though.

McCann's a TV pundit in his first management job who was appointed having won 2 out of 5 games in a relegation scrap and having initially left the club somehow ended up back 3 days later with a 3 year deal and a permanent post.

Who knows, he may turn it round but as it stands if Dundee fail to win against Rangers on Friday then they'll be going into December on less points than the Club 12 season. That team at least had mitigating circumstances that accounted for their league position. Similarly though Dundee were bottom at this point last season they were also only 3 points off 6th. This season they're 9 points off 6th place and a manager who's apparently falling out with players left, right and centre.

The number of points from 6th place is irrelevant. The only reason you mention it is because 6th happened to be only 3 points away; it could just as easily have been 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th. Or 5th, 4th, 3rd...