All things Dundee FC

Fwiw: we signed Marvin Johnson from Kidderminster Harriers. Not only was he totally fine for Premiership level we ended up bringing in the best part of £1m in transfer fees after we flipped him. He also helped body Rangers in the play-off. Which was nice.

It's less about the club you're signing him from and just depends how well your boy Elton's been scouted and whether he's any good (says me stating the obvious).

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

Is his agent the same as deacon and kamara? Anybody know?

Doesn't appear so OYS are usually pretty active on twitter and they haven't mentioned it.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, his agents are Fifteen Eleven who represent a lot of the players we've brought in (Tait, Clay, Heneghan)

https://1511management.com/profiles/elton-ngwatala/

Seems very much like a Motherwell type signing, a gamble from the lower league, which has worked well for you recently. Your comment above about MJ is far too reasoned and sensible as well.

An article on the harriers website from 2016 claimed he was on £150 a week, so it's hardly an over expensive gamble. Just have to wait and see how he looks.  

1 minute ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Seems very much like a Motherwell type signing, a gamble from the lower league, which has worked well for you recently. Your comment above about MJ is far too reasoned and sensible as well.

An article on the harriers website from 2016 claimed he was on £150 a week, so it's hardly an over expensive gamble. Just have to wait and see how he looks.  

Ha. Deleted my post after I saw you'd already mentioned Fifteen Eleven and didn't want to double up.

In honesty we seem to have moved on from signing from non-league under Robinson. Most of the signings last summer were from League 1 level or thereabouts but it's fair to say that we've done alright from non-league recruitment. Moult and Johnson are the obvious ones but Richard Tait was at Grimsby when they were non-league we've just extended his contract and he's been captaining the side lately. He's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

Quote from some fan on their twitter..

"Can play cm, cam or a winger and can thread passes through an eye of a needle on his day. Needs to be more consistent but a very good player."

Obviously the lad has been playing at a lower level than ourselves but it's relatively a cheap gamble which is fine with me. It's good we're scouting the lower leagues as there's obviously great talent there like the Motherwell players above and ICT boys in the past.

Does anyway know if we actually have scouts? I mind McCann moaned about our scouting system last summer but I've not heard anything since unless it's been done behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

So first signing an attacking midfielder.
A good start.

Welcome to Dundee.

Agree with this.

Creativity and goals from midfield is something we lacked this season and looks like McCann has tried to start filling this gap with Ngwatala. This gives me a bit of confidence that he has a plan for the summer and as I said earlier, that he's probably done a fair bit of scouting the boy.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Nope. I'm quite serious. We'll have him back. 

Bring him home.

You are welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. He's good for the odd cracker of a goal but outside of that he's been a poor player for us. However I think Neil McCann rates him quite highly and unless he's fallen out with the boy I reckon he'll be given another chance this season.

If he does stay, i'd be playing him in role similar to the way Stewart played for us, driving into the box from the wing and smashing in a curler.

You are welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. He's good for the odd cracker of a goal but outside of that he's been a poor player for us. However I think Neil McCann rates him quite highly and unless he's fallen out with the boy I reckon he'll be given another chance this season.

If he does stay, i'd be playing him in role similar to the way Stewart played for us, driving into the box from the wing and smashing in a curler.

I think he's more effective driving forward from midfield but he needs to be more aware of players around him and distribute more rather than always going for a, rarely on target, shot. He also needs to either bulk up or use his size and speed better- far too lightweight.

I can't not like the guy but he needs to acclimatise to the Premiership quickly- I just can't see that happening.

What makes you think McCann rates him? He's hardly played all season.

8 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

When people are talking about an prolific striker, what would they be happy with is a goal every 2-3 games prolific at this level, or are we talking about trying to find someone whose going to score a goal every game and half?

I'd settle for a goal every two-three games in a striker as long as we weren't solely reliant on just the striker in question for goals. If we were reliant on him then it'd have to be a goal every 1.5.

Edited by dburns

When people are talking about an prolific striker, what would they be happy with is a goal every 2-3 games prolific at this level, or are we talking about trying to find someone whose going to score a goal every game and half?

20 goals in the league would suggest prolific to me. That's better than a goal every second game.

20 goals in the league would suggest prolific to me. That's better than a goal every second game.

There wasn't a single striker in the league this season who scored 20 goals, so that's probably totally unrealistic in reality, IMO. Which is kind of why I was asking. The second top scorer in league this season had 14 goals.