All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Its a bit shit folk wanting him to lose his job after an incident outside of work.

I do not condone what he did in anyway, however who are we to judge? We do not know what kind of personal or mental issues the guy might have. 

He turns up for work and does a good job. Its f**k all to do with us what he does outside work.

It was right after the player of the year do was it not?

Also your employer can bin you for conduct out with the work. Especially if criminal charges are brought.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Also your employer can bin you for conduct out with the work. Especially if criminal charges are brought.

You're just saying this because you want him at Firhill.

11 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

As his employer Dundee have stuck by him already and handled it really well before. He needs help I agree but as a club I reckon Dundee have did an awful lot for him when he was tagged already.
Dundee seem to give plenty chances to players who may need help ( Caulker I presume is still getting help?)

That's the reason we manage to bring in some quality players. Caulker wouldn't have looked at us if he didn't have off field issues. McGowan would never have been punted from a half-decent St Mirren side if he didn't have issues and thus not be available to pick up.

There's a limit though - We punted Declan Gallagher. As I've said, if McGowan gets sentenced (And I don't mean like a 30 day stretch) and it effects us, then we're in a position where we're forced to punt, if it doesn't, then there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't stand by him.

In all seriousness, I believe the club need to show some compassion and support Paul. He’s a human before a footballer and he’s clearly got problems he needs to work through. As his employer, the club shouldn’t be abandoning him - especially after all he’s done for the club - they should offer to help him with any assistance that he may require to sort his head out. The fans are entitled to their own opinion, but it seems a lot of folk applaud him when he’s a fiery character on the pitch, but then act surprised/ disgusted when he punches someone’s pus off the park. Ideally he should be able to control himself and contain his rage off the pitch, but clearly he can’t, and that’s why the club need to address that. Punish him however they see fit, but I hope he’s still playing for us this coming season.

What kind of grown up spits on someone though? Fair enough if he gets in a fight but spitting is pretty cuntish behaviour.

I think if the club stand by him they should be demanding quite a lot of contrition to make up for it.

Still chuckling at Dee Man’s Osama line, and Bhoo Kaki’s response.

Gowser is one of our better players, we are far better with him than without him but for me, if I was in charge, he’d be gone. He got a second chance (I wouldn’t have given him that tbh) and he’s blown it. In fact the fact he is one of our better players makes it more imperative that the rest of the squad see that no one is beyond getting punted if they do something like this.
We are striving to grow the club, the future is more families, an example and standards have to be set. I see this at work all the time, you give guys a break and they just let you down again.

Apart from anything else the next time Gowser snaps it could be after the transfer window closes in January and he gets put away - you play the last 4 months missing a key player with no chance to replace him.
One of our rivals is welcome to him IMO.

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Its a bit shit folk wanting him to lose his job after an incident outside of work.

I do not condone what he did in anyway, however who are we to judge? We do not know what kind of personal or mental issues the guy might have. 

He turns up for work and does a good job. Its f**k all to do with us what he does outside work.

He represents your club and is probably a hero to rakes of young Dundee fans, it a completely different lifestyle he needs to live from the big standard guy on the street working at Tesco. Him spitting at folk should have severe consequences, especially given his track record. Jamie Carragher was sacked from Sky for the same offence. 

I'd put my house on Dundee fans being all over this if it was, say, Paul Paton or Darian MacKinnon who'd spat at someone and been taken to court for it. 

This is true. Had it happened at the POTY event, that could be classed as being on club time as he’s there representing the club, but regardless,the fact that the club are mentioned in the press reports of the incident can be seen as Gowser bringing the club into disrepute by association.

I used to be a shop steward in my work and anytime their name was used in press reports of a staff member being convicted of a crime, it was seen as bringing the company into disrepute and therefore allowing them to sack the employee.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd put my house on Dundee fans being all over this if it was, say, Paul Paton or Darian MacKinnon who'd spat at someone and been taken to court for it. 

Absolutely, you won't get a denial from me in that regard.  Neither of them play for my club though and neither are absolutely Derry'd Oot Their Nut. It's the hypocritical nature of being a football fan.

That being said - I think McGowan would be a better laugh than either of those two in any case.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Absolutely, you won't get a denial from me in that regard.  Neither of them play for my club though and neither are absolutely Derry'd Oot Their Nut. It's the hypocritical nature of being a football fan.

That being said - I think McGowan would be a better laugh than either of those two in any case.

I understand we're all hypocritical, and if Murray Davidson punched someone's puss I'd be defending him, tbh.

Did Dundee not publicly say he was on his last chance? Or he mentioned that in an article? 

Vaguely remember reading about him when we were linked. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-star-paul-mcgowan-live-7594354

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You're just saying this because you want him at Firhill.

I was at first but on reflection his behaviour makes him a liability and I don't think Archibald has dealt with an actual headbanger in his managerial career.

Good player but too much baggage, unfortunately. 

Thank you.

Absolutely not. Unless he's put away for a good period of time, it's imperative we keep him. If we were to punt it'd be totally counter productive as he'd just wheel up at one of our divisional rivals. We were a shadow of the team we could be when he wasn't playing last season and with the squad needing significant improvements already and us likely to lose Kamara from our midfield, it'd be a disaster to lose McGowan.
Not wanting to pre-judge this but struggling to see how he can stay after this - I'd expect a custodial sentence and him to get his jotters.

Sent from my 9022X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

22 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Apparently they went to a nightclub after the POTY event and that's where it happened. 

McGowan should've just went home. 

If I did that in my job I'd not only lose my job but be struck off the GTCS register.

Sent from my 9022X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Just now, tree house tam said:

I'm more disappointed that he shat out of taking on the doormen tbh

The rumour at the time was that Cammy Kerr and Craig Wighton were set upon by a few drunken Arabs - There's videos of Kerr and Wighton doing a Derry Rhumba in the middle of the nightclub floating about online - and McGowan got involved and the situation just escalated.