All things Dundee FC

Disappointing because I think he's our best striker but he's obviously out of the plans so it's better to free up some funds to bring someone else in.

My worry is that it's going to be another punt on someone from one of the random foreign leagues in Europe and. We need proven quality.

18 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Disappointing because I think he's our best striker but he's obviously out of the plans so it's better to free up some funds to bring someone else in.

My worry is that it's going to be another punt on someone from one of the random foreign leagues in Europe and. We need proven quality.

Seen a lot of chat about "proven quality" and "proven record" over the summer and nobody has really explained what would be acceptable. Still don't know where these mythical available, cheap, players are - and why other teams in the league haven't tried to sign them.

7 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Seen a lot of chat about "proven quality" and "proven record" over the summer and nobody has really explained what would be acceptable. Still don't know where these mythical available, cheap, players are - and why other teams in the league haven't tried to sign them.

I would’ve went for Schalk and Routis from Ross County for starters. 2 good players at this level who you know would be a success. 

Not every signing needs to be a gamble on a hidden gem. 

Edited by Yenitit

2 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Acceptable would be having a history of scoring goals at a decent level. And I don't see why we should be looking for a cheap forward when since the end of the season we've removed 4 strikers from our books (even if 2 were loans.) Going for cheap options from abroad may initially save us money, but eventually when they flop we need to sign others to try and make up for their failings and we're spending more than we would on one decent player who can keep a place in the team. 

I get that they're a bigger club and he had previous there, but Hibs have paid roughly the same for Kamberi as we have for Jack Hamilton. That's for a goalkeeper who may end up sitting on our bench ffs. Just imagine the difference a striker like that would make for our team.

3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I would’ve went for Schalk and Routis from Ross County for starters. 2 good players at this level who you know would be a success. 

Both of whom are playing in the Swiss second division. 

Just flip that for a second, pretending they've not played for County, and imagine we signed two players from the Swiss second division. 

They'd be being filed under "foreign gambles" rather than "proven quality", IMO. 

Schalk was the only highlight of a horrible County team last season.

1 minute ago, Louis Litt said:

Acceptable would be having a history of scoring goals at a decent level. And I don't see why we should be looking for a cheap forward when since the end of the season we've removed 4 strikers from our books (even if 2 were loans.) Going for cheap options from abroad may initially save us money, but eventually when they flop we need to sign others to try and make up for their failings and we're spending more than we would on one decent player who can keep a place in the team. 

I get that they're a bigger club and he had previous there, but Hibs have paid roughly the same for Kamberi as we have for Jack Hamilton. That's for a goalkeeper who may end up sitting on our bench ffs. Just imagine the difference a striker like that would make for our team.

Cheap is subjective, I guess. Kamberi is a great example and I'd imagine he'd be on a pretty decent wage at Hibs. Wages we probably couldn't get near.

He had scored 4 goals in 47 games (assuming wiki is correct) before he signed for Hibs.  So would he have classed as having a good history of scoring goals?

Guess that's the point I'm making. He's clearly a very good player, and is proving to be top class in Scotland - but probably wouldn't have passed the "proven goalscorer" test.

18 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Both of whom are playing in the Swiss second division. 

Just flip that for a second, pretending they've not played for County, and imagine we signed two players from the Swiss second division. 

They'd be being filed under "foreign gambles" rather than "proven quality", IMO. 

Schalk was the only highlight of a horrible County team last season.

They’ve played in this league and we know they’d do a job. No risks involved. I see what you’re saying but I’d like to see some signings that we know can do a job at this level. 

Edited by Yenitit

At a conservative estimated we are paying Hamilton £1k per week. (It's probably closer to £2k but just for argument sake) and we spent around £100k on him. 

That's £152k for the season on a single player. We could have overspent a bit on wages, say, £2k per week on Cerny without a transfer fee involved. That'd have left us with an extra £50k almost in the coffers for another player that we desperately need. I've nothing against Hamilton besides the fact I don't think he's better than what we have but even if he is a bit better than Parish, that money could have easily been spent more fruitfully. 

I wouldn’t want Cerny. Don’t really rate him and he could get in the sea with that time wasting pish he does.

Hamilton’s a young keeper who’s been picked in national squads ahead of Bain. 1st impression he appears a better shot stopper than Parish and Parish more commanding in the air. It looks on paper a decent signing, time will tell. 

22 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

We’re delighted to confirm that Kevin McDonald has agreed a new two-year deal with Fulham Football Club.

Doing really well :-)

Fantastic player, that season when him and the judas were in the middle we should have won the 1st division